0.28°C Vancouver

Jul 29, 2020 1:32 AM -

B.C.'s community sport organizations to receive $1.5 million to survive pandemic

Share On

Community sport organizations in British Columbia will share $1.5 million in provincial government funding to help them survive the fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Lisa Beare, B.C.'s minister of tourism, arts and culture, says the funding will help many of the province's 4,100 local sports organizations facing financial hardship without their registration fees, event revenues and sponsorships.

Beare says the pandemic has been difficult for community swimming, gymnastics, baseball and other local sports that rely largely on volunteer support but also have fixed costs.

A Victoria-area baseball team accompanied Beare for her outdoor announcement on the front lawn of the B.C. legislature.

Beare says the funding will be provided to amateur organizations and does not apply to B.C.'s semi-professional hockey and soccer leagues, that are also facing financial difficulties in the pandemic.

She says the $1.5 million contribution is accompanied by federal Heritage Canada funding of $3.4 million to assist B.C.'s provincial, disability and multi-sport organizations.

Latest news

burnaby-rcmp-warn-seniors-after-couple-loses-300-000-in-impersonation-scam
BCFeb 19, 2026

Burnaby RCMP warn seniors after couple loses $300,000 in impersonation scam

Burnaby RCMP are warning residents to remain vigilant after an elderly couple lost approximately $300,000 in a fraud scheme involving someone posing as a police officer. Police say the couple, both in their 80s, reported the incident on January 28 after being contacted by an individual claiming to be an RCMP officer. The caller allegedly told them their bank account had been compromised and instructed them to transfer their money to protect it. Over several weeks, the victims moved funds through multiple deposits and were directed to purchase gift cards as part of the scheme. They were also to
IndiaFeb 18, 2026

Court Grants Bail to BKU Ekta Ugrahan Leaders, Protests to Continue Across Punjab

A court in Bathinda on Wednesday granted bail to two senior leaders of Bharatiya Kisan Union Ekta Ugrahan who had been lodged in the Bathinda Central Jail during ongoing farmer protests in Punjab. Confirming the development, state president Joginder Singh Ugrahan said while the bail of the two leaders has been approved, demonstrations across the state will continue until all workers detained during the protests are released. He stated that the union will organize “victory rallies” across Punjab on Thursday. The arrests came as authorities moved to prevent a large-scale protest planned for
ottawa-expands-express-entry-system-to-include-researchers-and-military-recruits
CanadaFeb 18, 2026

Ottawa expands express entry system to include researchers and military recruits

The federal government is expanding Canada’s express entry immigration system to include new permanent residency pathways for researchers, senior managers and certain military recruits, Immigration Minister Lena Diab announced this week. The changes introduce three additional streams under the federal express entry program, aimed at attracting skilled professionals to address labour shortages and support what the minister described as a strategy to bring top talent to Canada. Among those newly eligible are researchers and senior managers with Canadian work experience. The transport sector wi
israeli-gunfire-incidents-in-gaza-leave-two-dead-several-injured-amid-medical-evacuation-delays
WorldFeb 18, 2026

Israeli gunfire incidents in Gaza leave two dead, several injured amid medical evacuation delays

Two Palestinians were killed in separate shooting incidents in Gaza on Wednesday, according to local hospital officials, as tensions continue despite a ceasefire announced in mid October. Medical authorities reported that the shootings occurred in the Al Mughraqa area of central Gaza and in Al Mawasi, west of Rafah in the south. At least three other Palestinians were injured in the incidents and taken to nearby hospitals for treatment. The violence comes as Israeli forces attempt to restrict movement near the Rafah border crossing with Egypt, a critical route for patients seeking urgent medica
AlbertaFeb 18, 2026

Traffic fatalities in Calgary raise renewed safety concerns as city reviews enforcement measures

Traffic-related deaths in Calgary are drawing renewed concern from municipal leaders after eight people were killed in collisions during the first seven weeks of the year. Three of the victims were pedestrians, according to city data, prompting calls for stronger safety measures on local roads. The most recent fatalities occurred over the Family Day weekend, when a child and a senior lost their lives in separate incidents. City officials say that if the current pace continues, the number of deaths in 2026 could exceed last year’s total of 38 traffic fatalities, marking a troubling trend for

Related News