15.36°C Vancouver

Aug 16, 2022 12:30 AM - Connect News

B.C. RCMP notifies IIO BC of incident near Kamloops

Share On
b-c-rcmp-notifies-iio-bc-of-incident-near-kamloops
The BC RCMP has notified the Independent Investigations Office of British Columbia (IIO BC) of an incident near Kamloops where one man has died. (Photo - BC RCMP)

The BC RCMP has notified the Independent Investigations Office of British Columbia (IIO BC) of an incident near Kamloops where one man has died.

On Sunday August 14, 2022, at approximately 5:20 p.m., 9-1-1 operators received a call from a woman asking for help from what reportedly sounded like vehicle. A short time later a second call was received reporting an erratic driver on the Trans Canada Highway, and a woman attempting to get out of the vehicle.

At approximately 5:45 p.m., a third caller reported that a family member and a child had been abducted. Officers attended the scene and reportedly located an empty vehicle with an alleged weapon inside.

Shortly before 9 p.m., officers attended a rural property after receiving a report of the original suspect vehicle near a trailer, and established a roadblock before calling the Emergency Response Team (ERT). ERT attended the scene and took over containment. After 3 a.m., the male suspect then reportedly exited the trailer with a weapon and a child. During the engagement with officers, the man was shot and killed. The child was uninjured and a woman was subsequently located with non-life injuries inside the trailer.

Shortly after 9 p.m., Kamloops RCMP attended the suspect’s home after receiving a report of a second woman who was found injured and bound inside.

Both women were transported to hospital for treatment.

Kamloops RCMP and the RCMP Southeast District General Investigation Section are investigating the initial complaint and the second assault investigation.

The IIO BC is investigating police actions. As the matter is now under investigation by the IIO BC, no further information will be released by police.

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News