15.61°C Vancouver

Jul 19, 2024 7:44 PM - The Canadian Press

B.C. promises expanded gynecological cancer care, new programs in Surrey, Kelowna

Share On
b-c-promises-expanded-gynecological-cancer-care-new-programs-in-surrey-kelowna
Eby says rates of gynecological cancer have increased by almost 50 per cent over the last decade in B.C.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

The British Columbia government is bringing in new programs to address the growing demand for gynecological cancer surgical care in Kelowna and Surrey.

Premier David Eby says the new services, and expansions of programs that already exist in Vancouver and Victoria, will nearly double the number of surgeons providing the cancer care in B.C. from eight to 15.

Eby says rates of gynecological cancer have increased by almost 50 per cent over the last decade in B.C.

A government statement says the program in Kelowna is expected to start in September, with services provided by three new oncologists and as many as 27 staff.

A start date has not been provided for the Surrey program, but the statement says it will include three gynecological oncologists and an enhanced pre- and post-surgery support team, while an additional oncologist will also be added to the program running in Victoria.

The expansions are being paid for as part of $270 million over the next three years to support the province's Cancer Action Plan.

Gynecologic cancers include cervical, ovarian, vaginal, endometrial, uterine, cervix, and vulvar.

Health Minister Adrian Dix says expanding services is a significant step forward for female cancer care in B.C.

"This initiative reflects our ongoing commitment to providing timely and specialized care for women facing gynecologic cancers and is a crucial part of our broader strategy to support cancer patients and their families across the province," Dix said in the statement.

Latest news

carney-says-new-oil-pipeline-would-require-emissions-plan-indigenous-consultation
BCMay 20, 2026

Carney says new oil pipeline would require emissions plan, Indigenous consultation

Prime Minister Mark Carney says any future oil pipeline connecting Alberta to the British Columbia coast would depend on conditions including a major emissions-reduction project, economic benefits for B.C., and constitutionally required consultation with First Nations. Speaking to the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Carney said the pipeline proposal discussed last week between the federal and Alberta governments would only move forward alongside the proposed Pathways Alliance carbon capture project. He said Indigenous consultation under Section 35 of the Constitution is “non-negotiable.”
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Alberta ticket wins $12.5M share of Lotto Max jackpot

A Lotto Max ticket purchased in Alberta has won a $12.5-million share of the latest jackpot draw, according to the Western Canada Lottery Corporation. The corporation said the winning ticket was sold somewhere in Alberta outside the Edmonton and Calgary regions. Another winning ticket was sold in Quebec, splitting the $25-million jackpot between the two winners. Lottery officials said the Alberta ticket holder has one year from the draw date to claim the prize. The winning location and ticket holder have not yet been identified publicly. The jackpot split means multiple winners matched all sev
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Rising FIFA World Cup ticket and hotel prices in Vancouver raising concerns for fans

Football fans hoping to attend FIFA World Cup matches in Vancouver are facing growing costs as ticket prices and hotel rates continue to climb ahead of the tournament. Reports indicate some match tickets are being listed for as much as $2,000. Accommodation costs in Vancouver have also become a concern for visitors planning trips to the city during the event. Experts say provincial restrictions on short-term rentals, along with annual licensing fee requirements, have reduced available accommodation options and contributed to higher hotel prices. Jarrett Vaughan, a professor at the University o
shooting-at-surrey-home-under-investigation-police-say-extortion-link-suspected
BCMay 20, 2026

Shooting at Surrey home under investigation, police say extortion link suspected

Surrey Police Service is investigating an early morning shooting at a residence in Surrey’s Newton neighbourhood that investigators believe may be connected to an extortion-related file. Police said frontline officers responded at about 4:40 a.m. Wednesday to reports of shots fired near 57 Avenue and 148 Street. According to SPS, officers found damage to a home and evidence of gunfire when they arrived. The residence was occupied at the time of the shooting, but no injuries were reported, police said. SPS said its Extortion Response Team has taken over the investigation. Integrated Forensic
AlbertaMay 20, 2026

Nenshi questions UCP committee meeting on Alberta petition process amid separatism debate

Alberta NDP Leader Naheed Nenshi says he is concerned Premier Danielle Smith’s government could alter or reinterpret a citizen petition process tied to Alberta’s place in Canada. Nenshi made the comments after the United Conservative government scheduled a committee meeting for Thursday to discuss a petition calling for Alberta to remain in Canada. The bipartisan committee is reviewing the petition under provincial rules governing citizen initiatives. According to Nenshi, the timing of the meeting has raised questions after a separate petition backed by Alberta separatists was reportedly l

Related News