16.75°C Vancouver

Jan 13, 2025 4:23 PM - The Canadian Press

B.C. fire crews sent to fight Los Angeles wildfire: forests minister

Share On
b-c-fire-crews-sent-to-fight-los-angeles-wildfire-forests-minister
The fire crew was first promised by Premier David Eby, who committed the crew on Friday after a request from California’s Forestry and Fire Protection Department.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

British Columbia’s forests minister says a crew from the province’s wildfire service left for California Saturday afternoon to help battle the wildfires ravaging the Los Angeles area.

Ravi Parmar says in a video posted to social media Saturday afternoon that The B.C. Wildfire Service's crews had left the province and are expected to touch down in Los Angeles around 4 p.m. Pacific.

The fire crew was first promised by Premier David Eby, who committed the crew on Friday after a request from California’s Forestry and Fire Protection Department.

Eby says his province will also send ground crews to California as part of a national response to the blaze.

The B.C. Wildfire Service did not immediately confirm whether the crew had landed and it’s unclear how many firefighters were sent.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also shared video footage of a Canadian aerial firefighting aircraft preparing to take another pass over the wildfires, saying Canada is "always here to help our American friends."

Since the fires began, at least 11 people have died and multiple neighbourhoods have been reduced to ash.

Latest news

canada-advises-against-travel-to-eastern-congo-amid-ebola-outbreak
CanadaMay 19, 2026

Canada advises against travel to eastern Congo amid Ebola outbreak

The federal government is advising Canadians to avoid travel to eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo following an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus, a rare strain with no approved vaccines or treatments. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 suspected cases have been reported, including at least 130 deaths. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he is concerned about the “scale and spread of the epidemic.” Global Affairs Canada updated its travel advisory to warn against all travel to Ituri province, where the outbreak wa
abbotsford-police-arrest-suspect-in-two-armed-street-robberies
BCMay 19, 2026

Abbotsford police arrest suspect in two armed street robberies

Abbotsford Police say a South Asian male youth has been arrested in connection with two separate armed street robberies reported in the city last month. Police have not publicly identified the suspect. According to police, the first incident happened on April 14 near the intersection of McClure Road and Trethewey Street during the afternoon hours. The second robbery was reported on April 30 at night near Exhibition Park along the Discovery Trail. Investigators allege the same suspect was involved in both incidents. Police said the victims were threatened with a firearm and had jewelry stolen d
poilievre-criticizes-federal-government-after-latest-inflation-report
BCMay 19, 2026

Poilievre criticizes federal government after latest inflation report

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is criticizing the federal government following the release of the latest inflation figures from Statistics Canada, saying rising living costs continue to put pressure on Canadian families. In a statement issued after the report was released, Poilievre said food prices are increasing faster than the overall inflation rate and argued Canadians are paying more for everyday essentials while receiving less in return. He also pointed to continued high energy and fuel prices, saying the cost of living remains a major concern for households across the country. Poi
daylight-shooting-in-langley-leaves-27-year-old-man-injured
BCMay 19, 2026

Daylight shooting in Langley leaves 27-year-old man injured

A 27-year-old man was injured in a daytime shooting in Langley on Saturday, with police saying the incident is believed to be targeted and the investigation remains ongoing. Langley RCMP said officers responded to reports of an assault in the 5400 block of Brydon Crescent at approximately 12:30 p.m. Upon arrival, officers located a man suffering from gunshot wounds. He was transported to hospital for treatment. Sgt. Zynal Sharoom said in a statement that investigators are working to determine the circumstances and motive behind the shooting. Police have not released information about any suspe
b-c-cruise-passenger-tests-positive-for-hantavirus-after-mv-hondius-voyage
BCMay 19, 2026

B.C. cruise passenger tests positive for hantavirus after MV Hondius voyage

A passenger linked to the MV Hondius cruise has tested positive for hantavirus in British Columbia, according to provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry. Health officials said the patient is a Yukon resident between the ages of 70 and 75 and is receiving treatment at a hospital in Victoria. Three other Canadian travellers connected to the cruise were also placed in isolation after returning to Canada. According to provincial health authorities, two additional Yukon residents remain hospitalized, while a fourth traveller is isolating at home. Officials said there is currently no risk to the

Related News