21.77°C Vancouver

Mar 2, 2022 1:43 AM - The Canadian Press

B.C. could drop more COVID restrictions: Dr. Bonnie Henry

Share On
b-c-could-drop-more-covid-restrictions-dr-bonnie-henry
B.C.'s provincial health office, Dr. Bonnie Henry during a press conference in Victoria. (Photo - BC Govt.)

British Columbia's provincial health officer says she's optimistic the province is moving to a "better place" that could see more COVID-19 restrictions lifted by mid-March, before spring break.

Dr. Bonnie Henry said Tuesday that a decline in hospitalizations, immunity from vaccination and the availability of at-home rapid tests point the way forward to normal activities like high school graduations, which youth in particular need to feel connected to others.

However, she said not everyone will be ready or able to leave behind some pandemic measures like masks and physical distancing so it's important for people to be respectful of those who are immunocompromised or elderly because they're still at risk of infection.

"These are not tools that we abandoned. They are things that helped us, that worked. They're part of the strategies that we've had. Before vaccination, they were the only strategies that we had. Now, we have that level of immunity. But that's going to change and wane over time."

Businesses and workplaces will have to take responsibility for requiring some measures like vaccine passports, depending on the level of risk, and it's important to move slowly through a time of transition, Henry said.

There are still some uncertainties about new variants, including BA. 2, with some cases present in B.C., though no cases of BA. 3 and Delta Omicron have been detected in the province, she said.

Updates on COVID-19 will soon be provided weekly as B.C. ensures it's prepared for a potential uptick in COVID-19 cases during the next respiratory season.

"We know there will be respiratory virus resurgence. And we've seen there's a pattern to COVID as well so we may need these additional layers of protection again as we move into next fall," she said.

The province will integrate wastewater surveillance testing for COVID-19 into its regular surveillance of respiratory illness including influenza and also include other pathogens in an effort to get a periodic snapshot of what else may be circulating in communities, Henry said.

Unlike in much of the country, vaccine passports are still needed in B.C. to attend indoor events, though Henry has said that measure may also be reconsidered before its current expiry at the end of June.

Overall, the province is moving into a phase that will have people making individual choices to protect themselves from infection, she said.

"We are in a transition phase. We do not know enough about this virus from an epidemiologic point of view for us to consider it endemic. That presupposes that we know the pattern that we're going to see through respiratory season," she said.

"We have a pretty good idea now. But there's still a lot of this virus circulating around the globe. There are inevitably going to be changes and surprises that we will need to adapt to."

Health Minister Adrian Dix said that despite lower numbers of people in hospital, the health-care system faces workforce challenges, which the province is trying to address.

Last month, he announced B.C. will add 602 nursing seats to public post-secondary institutions. That number will add to about 2,000 existing seats, mostly in programs training registered nurses, but also in those for future psychiatric and practical nurses.

B.C. reported Tuesday that 523 people were in hospital, with 83 of them in intensive care. Dix said that's about half the number of hospitalizations at the peak of the Omicron wave.

The province also said 466 new cases of COVID-19 had been diagnosed.

Latest news

poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth

Related News