19.86°C Vancouver

Sep 19, 2024 6:02 PM - The Canadian Press

B.C. and First Nations reach deal to sell 2,600 condos at 60% of market value

Share On
b-c-and-first-nations-reach-deal-to-sell-2-600-condos-at-60-of-market-value
Eby says he's excited about scaling up similar ideas across B.C., adding there will be a strong emphasis on housing in the NDP's upcoming election platform.(Photo: The Canadian Press)

An agreement between First Nations and the British Columbia government will see thousands of homes made available in Vancouver at 40-per-cent below cost.

Premier David Eby calls it a "remarkable" accomplishment between the province and the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations, which would see about 2,600 homes sold for 60 per cent of the value in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world.

The agreement would sell one-, two- and three-bedroom units in a 99-year-lease on First Nations land with the government financing the other 40 per cent of the value to be paid back when the unit is sold or 25 years after the purchase date.

There will be screening to stop speculators, while buyers must have a total annual household income of under $131,950 along with a series of other eligibility rules, including pre-qualifying for a mortgage and a minimum deposit of five per cent.

Prospective buyers would be able to register and confirm their eligibility as early as next spring for a unit on the Heather Lands on the west side of Vancouver, followed by a randomized selection of eligible buyers with priority for first-time owners.

Eby says he's excited about scaling up similar ideas across B.C., adding there will be a strong emphasis on housing in the NDP's upcoming election platform.

A studio unit is expected to sell for a about $372,000, while the one-bedroom would be sold for $510,000 and a two-bedroom condo would go for $780,000. About 540 of the condos would be social housing.

"The dream of home ownership has been out of reach for too many, for too long, especially here in Vancouver, " Eby said Thursday at the announcement.

The plan will help thousands of middle-class people break into the housing market, he said, while allowing the government to recover its financial contribution.

"This means more families living and working here can put down roots, while also addressing labour challenges and driving our economy forward," the premier said.

Eby says the province's contribution is estimated to be about $670 million in loans.

Latest news

b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic

Related News