16.43°C Vancouver

Apr 12, 2022 7:25 PM - Connect News

Arrest made in killing of international student in Toronto

Share On
arrest-made-in-killing-of-international-student-in-toronto
Chief James Ramer expressed condolences to the families of the victims and reassured the public about their safety while asking them to remain vigilant at a news conference on April 12 at police headquarters. (Photo - Toronto Police/Twitter)

Chief James Ramer expressed condolences to the families of the victims and reassured the public about their safety while asking them to remain vigilant at a news conference on April 12 at police headquarters.

"They’re the types of incidents that will understandably cause concern in our communities," Ramer said. "While we appreciate that this news does nothing to ease the suffering of the victims and their families, particularly those now grieving death, I can report that the suspects for all of these incidents are now in police custody. It is my hope that this fact provides at least a sliver of closure for the families."

Richard Jonathan Edwin, 39, of Toronto, was arrested for First Degree Murder for homicides 19 and 20.

On Thursday, April 7, 2022, at approximately 5 p.m., Toronto Police Service received multiple calls to a shooting at Sherbourne Subway Station. Kartik Vasudev, a 21-year-old student, was located outside the Glen Road entrance suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. He was taken to hospital where he died as result of his injuries.

Investigators allege that Richard Jonathan Edwin discharged a handgun striking the victim multiple times before fleeing the scene.

On Saturday, April 9, 2022, at approximately 7 p.m., it is further alleged that the accused approached the second victim, 35-year-old Elijah Eleazar Mahepath who was walking westbound on the north side of Dundas Street East near George Street. The accused discharged multiple rounds striking the victim. Again, he fled the scene on foot.

These murders are believed to be random attacks and the victims were not known to the accused or each other. Investigators are working to establish the full motive behind the attacks and these remain active investigations.

Led by the Emergency Task Force, Edwin, was taken into custody the evening of Sunday, April 10, 2022 without incident.

Homicide Detective-Sergeant Terry Browne commended the "remarkable" work of the tactical officers who made the arrest without injury despite several loaded firearms being accessible to the suspect.

He said investigators want to learn more about Edwin.

"We’re doing a very deep dive on his background right now to find out who this person is, where he’s been, who he has been associating with," Browne said. "With regards to contact with either one of these victims is that we have nothing to suggest he knew either one of these victims… It was what we describe as random. It was a chance meeting, a chance passing for reasons only known to the suspect these two people were victimized and now are dead."

Anyone with information about the incidents or about Edwin’s background or past behaviour is asked to call Homicide at 416-808-7100 or Crime Stoppers Toronto anonymously at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or online at www.222tips.com.

Chief Ramer believes that further violence was averted through Edwin’s arrest.

"Given that he had already killed two apparent strangers, as we allege, and that a cache of firearms was found at his residence we can reasonably conclude that the quick work of our investigators has prevented a further loss of life," the Chief said. "My personal opinion is there was going to be more victims, when I don’t know, but he had an arsenal at home and I, quite frankly, believe this might have just been the first step."

Browne said the security video was crucial in solving this case.

"What we gleaned from the security video evidence alone provided us with great assistance in tracking our suspect from the area he resides to the area of the shooting and then back to his residence," Browne said.

Latest news

verdict-expected-in-edmonton-dog-attack-death-trial
AlbertaMay 22, 2026

Verdict expected in Edmonton dog attack death trial

A judge is expected to deliver a verdict Friday in the criminal negligence trial of an Edmonton woman charged in the 2024 death of an 11-year-old boy killed by two dogs. Crystal MacDonald has pleaded not guilty to criminal negligence causing death in connection with the fatal attack on Kache Grist at her Edmonton home in April 2024. Court heard MacDonald and the boy’s father, Wesley Grist, were roommates at the time. Kache, who lived in British Columbia, was visiting Edmonton during spring break when the attack occurred. During testimony, MacDonald said she repeatedly warned Wesley Grist no
surrey-police-seek-help-identifying-robbery-suspect-near-central-skytrain-station
BCMay 22, 2026

Surrey police seek help identifying robbery suspect near Central SkyTrain Station

Surrey Police Service is asking for the public’s help to identify a suspect connected to an alleged robbery near Surrey Central SkyTrain Station last month. According to a Surrey Police Service release, frontline officers responded on April 24 at about 7:10 p.m. after two people reported they had been assaulted, robbed, and threatened near the station. Police said a pair of Meta smart glasses was taken during the incident. Investigators released a photo of the suspect and are asking anyone who recognizes the individual to come forward as the investigation continues. Police described the susp
rajya-sabha-mp-harbhajan-singh-accuses-aap-leadership-of-selling-punjab-posts-after-joining-bjp
IndiaMay 22, 2026

Rajya Sabha MP Harbhajan Singh accuses AAP leadership of “selling” Punjab posts after joining BJP

Rajya Sabha MP Harbhajan Singh, who recently left the Aam Aadmi Party and joined the Bharatiya Janata Party, has accused the AAP leadership of exploiting Punjab in a social media post containing a series of corruption allegations. Singh alleged that the party leadership had “sold everything,” including Rajya Sabha seats from Punjab and ministerial positions, claiming appointments were allegedly made in exchange for money. He further stated that he would reveal how certain individuals were appointed as ministers and officials “to loot Punjab” and deliver the proceeds to a person he refe
AlbertaMay 22, 2026

Former Durham officer arrested in Alberta on multiple sexual assault charges

Alberta RCMP have arrested a former Durham Regional Police officer who is facing multiple sexual assault and breach of trust charges linked to alleged incidents dating back more than 20 years. Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit said the alleged offences occurred in 2003 and were investigated at the time. The civilian police watchdog said the case was reopened in 2024 after the complainant provided new information. The SIU said a Canada-wide warrant was issued for Kevin Seamons. RCMP arrested him in Alberta on Wednesday night. Seamons faces six counts of sexual assault, one count of sexual
carney-says-alberta-central-to-canadas-future-after-smith-referendum-announcement
CanadaMay 22, 2026

Carney says Alberta central to Canada’s future after Smith referendum announcement

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Alberta remains a critical part of Canada’s future after Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced plans to include a separation question in a provincial referendum scheduled for Oct. 19. According to statements made Friday on Parliament Hill, the Alberta government plans to ask voters whether the province should remain part of Canada or pursue separation through a legal process. Carney said Canada is functioning as a successful country and described Alberta as essential to the country’s continued economic and political development. He said the federal govern

Related News