22.65°C Vancouver

Jun 16, 2021 10:39 PM -

Annamie Paul is firing back against the party executives, says efforts to remove her from post "racist" and "sexist"

Share On
annamie-paul-is-firing-back-against-the-party-executives-says-efforts-to-remove-her-from-post-racist-and-sexist
Annamie Paul is firing back against the party executives who sought to oust her as Green party leader, calling them out for ``racist'' and ``sexist'' accusations. (Photo - Annamie Paul/Twitter)

Annamie Paul is firing back against the party executives who sought to oust her as Green party leader, calling them out for ``racist'' and ``sexist'' accusations.

Her fiery response today comes after she survived a move to push her out last night.

Paul says respect for diversity is a Green value but the change she represents can be perceived as a threat to existing gatekeepers.

The Canadian Press has obtained a scathing letter that accompanied a non-confidence motion signed by six of 15 federal council members.

It accuses Paul of acting with an ``autocratic attitude of hostility,'' attending few council meetings, and displaying ``anger in long, repetitive, aggressive monologues.''

Paul says the document was ``so racist, so sexist'' that it wasimmediately disavowed by a majority of party executives and both Green MPs.

She is the first Black woman and the second Jewish person to lead a mainstream federal party in Canada.

As such, she says the rules of the game seem to have changed, and suddenly there is a need for ``more oversight, heightened accountability'' and ``swifter and more severe sanctions.''

Latest news

canadas-proposed-under-16-social-media-ban-likely-to-face-charter-challenge
CanadaAug 17, 2026

Canada’s proposed under-16 social media ban likely to face Charter challenge

Experts say Canada’s proposed ban on social media access for children under 16 could face a constitutional challenge under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. The issue has gained attention after France’s top court recently struck down a similar ban for children under 15, ruling that the measure was too broad and infringed on freedom of expression. Dalhousie University associate law professor Michael Karanicolas said a Charter challenge to Canada’s legislation is “almost inevitable.” He argued that social media has become an important platform for young people to participate
40-year-old-man-charged-in-surrey-sexual-assault-investigation
BCAug 17, 2026

40-Year-Old Man Charged in Surrey Sexual Assault Investigation

Criminal Code charges have been approved against a 40-year-old man following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into an alleged sexual assault involving a female youth at Bear Creek Park. Police say officers responded to the park on August 9, 2026, after receiving a report that a female youth had been groped by an adult male. The suspect allegedly fled the scene before officers arrived. On August 12, SPS released photos of the suspect and appealed to the public for help identifying him. A man matching the suspect’s description was identified and arrested later that day. The B.C. Pro
AlbertaAug 17, 2026

Calgary Police Seek Public Help to Locate Suspect After Assault

Calgary police are asking for the public’s help in locating a 22-year-old suspect wanted in connection with an assault that sent three people to hospital. Police were called to Spanky’s Saloon on Friday night, where officers found three injured men. One of the victims appeared to have suffered a stab wound. Investigators believe all three men were assaulted by the same suspect. Police say the 22-year-old is currently wanted on a warrant for multiple charges and are asking anyone with information about his whereabouts to contact authorities.
BCAug 17, 2026

Third Shooting Near Schools in Fort St. John in a Month, Police Investigating

Police in Fort St. John, B.C., are investigating a shooting that marks the third incident involving gunfire near schools in the city since July 22. According to police, shots were fired at around 10 p.m. Friday in the 8800 block of 107A Avenue. A residence was targeted in the incident. Following an initial investigation, officers believe the shooting was targeted. No suspect has been identified or arrested so far. Fort St. John RCMP’s Serious Crime Unit, Street Enforcement Team and frontline officers are working together on the investigation. Police and B.C. Emergency Health Services have no
randhawa-says-he-will-seek-congress-ticket-only-from-dera-baba-nanak
IndiaAug 17, 2026

Randhawa says he will seek Congress ticket only from Dera Baba Nanak

Congress MP Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa has said that if he seeks a party ticket for the 2027 Punjab Assembly election, it will be only from the Dera Baba Nanak constituency. Randhawa said he has no intention of seeking a ticket from any other Assembly seat. His comments come as discussions over potential candidates and party tickets intensify ahead of the 2027 Punjab election. He said Congress should select candidates based on their eligibility and ability to win elections rather than on personal loyalty or flattery. Randhawa also said preference should be given to people who have demonstrated

Related News