22.06°C Vancouver

Apr 1, 2022 12:15 AM - The Canadian Press

Alberta government working to strengthen legislation banning female genital mutilation in the province

Share On

In an effort to better protect the health and safety of women and girls, the Alberta government is working to strengthen legislation banning female genital mutilation (FGM) in the province.

Bill 10, the Health Professions (Protecting Women and Girls) Amendment Act 2022, if passed, will mean health professionals and practitioners who perform or facilitate FGM would be removed from practicing medicine.

Further, under Bill 10, if a health professional is convicted of having practiced FGM in another jurisdiction, they would not be allowed to practice in Alberta.

Those who are witness to conduct relating to FGM would be required to step forward and report the instance to law enforcement authorities.

Chestermere-Strathmore MLA Leela Aheer has been spearheading the campaign for several years and spoke passionately that Bill 10 has been introduced into the legislature.

``Seven years ago is when I really started to learn more about FGM and what was going on and that it happens on every single continent,'' said Aheer.

``When you first learn about it, it's hard to get your head around it, but then to learn that girls who are in Canada who have moved here or have come from cultures who are still doing this and are being sent overseas to have the practice done, is just one of those mind-boggling moments.''

The proposed amendments, if passed, would require regulatory colleges within the health profession to adopt certain standards of practice relating to FGM.

As defined in the Health Professions Act, FGM would include all procedures that involve partial or total removal of the external female genitalia, or other injury to the external female genital organs for non-medical reasons.

``It is considered at the federal level as aggravated assault under Section 268 of the Criminal Code of Canada … but due to this secretive practice, it's very hard to know how many girls are impacted,'' added Aheer.

``The amendments to the Health Professions Act will ensure that the health professionals themselves are held accountable, so that those that perform or facilitate female genital mutilation and cutting are removed from their practice.''

At the federal level under the Criminal Code of Canada, there is a maximum imprisonment sentence of 14 years for a practitioner found guilty of performing a FGM type operation.

Parents of an afflicted person can also be charged for their willing participation in the practice.

Detailed within the legislation will also be supports for protecting children at risk, as well as supporting and managing those with physical and psychological trauma resulting from FGM.

``It was really important for me to make sure that legislation that we're bringing forward has the opportunity to educate and empower and really evolve the conversation around protecting women and girls here in Canada,'' said Aheer.

According to a release from the province, there are more than 200 million girls and women alive who have undergone FGM procedures in 30 countries and an estimated excess of 3 million girls are potentially at risk of FGM operations annually.

Latest news

IndiaAug 19, 2026

Farmers Suspend Protest at Punjab-Haryana Border, Meeting with Manohar Lal Set for September 4

Farmer organizations protesting at the Punjab-Haryana border on Wednesday announced the temporary suspension of their agitation. The decision came after Haryana authorities proposed a meeting with Union Minister Manohar Lal on September 4 to discuss the farmers’ demands. The protesting farmers had been sitting at the Khanauri–Data Singh Wala border point. On August 16, Haryana Police stopped a group of 51 farmers from proceeding towards Delhi. The farmers were undertaking a 228-kilometre-long “Kisan Bachao Padyatra” (Save Farmers March) to oppose the proposed India-U.S. trade agreement
AlbertaAug 19, 2026

Alberta AI Data Centres Face Public Scrutiny at Lacombe Town Hall

Alberta’s Minister of Technology and Innovation, Nate Glubish, is holding a town hall meeting in Lacombe this evening to hear residents’ views and concerns about artificial intelligence (AI) data centres. Plans to establish large-scale data centres in the area have faced opposition from some local residents and environmental advocates. Critics are particularly concerned about the large amounts of water the facilities could consume, their potential impact on the environment, and the heavy electricity demand that could put additional pressure on Alberta’s power grid and potentially increas
b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain

Related News