17.47°C Vancouver

Mar 14, 2020 1:23 AM -

68-yr-old Delhi woman, who tested positive for COVID-19, dies due to comorbidity: Health Ministry

Share On
68-yr-old-delhi-woman-who-tested-positive-for-covid-19-dies-due-to-comorbidity-health-ministry
A 68 year old woman, who had tested positive for COVID-19, died due to co-morbidity, diabetes and hypertension, at a hospital here, said Union Health and Family Welfare Ministry in a statement on Friday. Photo-ANI

A 68 year old woman, who had tested positive for COVID-19, died due to co-morbidity, diabetes and hypertension, at a hospital here, said Union Health and Family Welfare Ministry in a statement on Friday.

"The death of a 68 year old female from West Delhi (mother of a confirmed case of COVID-19) is confirmed to be caused due to co-morbidity, diabetes and hypertension.

She has also tested positive for COVID-19," reads the statement.

"She had history of contact with a positive case (her son who had travel history to Switzerland and Italy between 5th to 22nd February, 2020).

The son had returned to India on February 23.

He initially was asymptomatic, but developed fever and cough after one day and reported to the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital on March 7, 2020.

As per protocol, the family was screened and since he and his mother had fever and cough, both were admitted."

India had on Thursday reported the first death from coronavirus.

A 76-year-old man, who passed away recently, has been tested positive of coronavirus.

"The 76-year-old man from Kalaburagi who passed away and was a suspected COVID-19 patient has been confirmed positive for COVID-19," Karnataka government had said.

"She was a known case of diabetes and hypertension. Her sample was collected on March 8.

Her condition worsened on March 9 with development of pneumonia and she was shifted to the intensive care unit," adds the statement.

The press release further says: "Her sample also tested positive for COVID19. Since March 9, she was having respiratory fluctuations and was provided with ventilator support.

However, due to comorbid conditions, she died on March 13th at RML Hospital, Delhi as confirmed by the treating physician and Medical Superintendent."

"All the precautionary measures as per protocol including screening, quarantine of the contacts are already taken up by the Ministry of Health, Government of Delhi and status is being monitored," the press release added. So far, India has recorded 82 positive cases of coronavirus.


Latest news

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees

Related News