15.63°C Vancouver

Nov 20, 2020 3:40 AM -

538 new COVID-19 cases and one death reported in B.C.; Dr. Henry announces new restrictions on social gatherings, travelling and masks

Share On
538-new-covid-19-cases-and-one-death-reported-in-b-c-dr-henry-announces-new-restrictions-social-gatherings-travelling-and-masks
(File) -British Columbia's provincial health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry giving her views during a press conference. - B.C. government

BC is reporting 538 new cases of COVID-19 with most still coming from the Fraser and Vancouver health regions.

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says the province now has 6,929 active cases.

217 people are in hospital, including 59 in intensive care.

Dr. Henry says there is also one addition death, bringing the total to 321.

Details of COVID-19 restrictions in B.C.

B.C. is introducing new far-reaching limits on social gatherings, travel and mandatory masks in response to surging COVID-19 case numbers and record hospitalizations. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said today that the two-week ban on social gatherings with people outside your immediate household imposed on the Lower Mainland on Nov. 7 will now apply to the entire province and be extended until Dec. 7.

The initial measures were intended to break the chains of transmission in the province's most affected areas. But Henry said COVID-19 transmission linkedto social gatherings has spread into health care, businesses and schools and is now a concern everywhere.

"It has become apparent that this surge in transmission is happening across the province," said Dr. Henry.

"We are seeing increased community transmission and effects on our health-care system in every area.''

Masks will also be mandatory in all public indoor spaces through an order under the Emergency Program Act, said Henry, who resisted mounting public pressure to require masks for nearly eight months. That will include stores and offices, but not schools.

"We need to urgently reduce the level of transmission and our cases across the province," said Henry.

"We need to ensure our health-care system can meet the health needs of all of us in B.C."

Non-essential travel within or outside one's local community is also strongly discouraged, although Henry stopped short of issuing an order to ban it.

"We are in our second surge, and it is proving to be a challenge," said Henry, who last week said the province's contact tracers are reaching their limit.

"We need to relieve the stress on our health-care system, right now."

Under the new mask order, employees and patrons of all public indoor spaces and workplaces will be required to wear a mask in shared public spaces, except when eating or drinking in areas that serve food.

People with disabilities or conditions that make it difficult to put on or remove a mask are exempt, as well as children under two.

Dr. Henry also announced in-person faith and community gatherings of any size are suspended provincewide until Dec. 7.

Gatherings of up to 50 people had previously been allowed.

Weddings and funerals with less than 10 people and no reception, as well as community meetings such as Alcoholics Anonymous or classes that are held in places of worship may still continue with distancing measures and limited numbers.

"We need our faith services more than ever right now, but we need to do them safely," said Dr.Henry.

High-risk group physical activities like indoor spin classes, hot yoga and intensive interval training, which Henry has previously said could continue with enhanced safety measures, are now halted until further notice.

And while indoor and outdoor sports can continue, spectators and inter-region travel are not allowed due to transmission during pre- and post-game mingling.

And businesses are being asked to suspend any returns to the office for employees who've been working at home. The B.C. government had begun requiring some employees to return to offices this month.

"These are the means through which all of us can help flatten the curve and do what we want to do in this pandemic, which is our part," said Health Minister Adrian Dix.

The broad measures to quell the spread of the virus come as the province reported 538 new cases, 309 of which were in the hard-hit Fraser Health region, and a total of 59 outbreaks in health-care facilities.

One more person died in the last 24 hours, and hospitalizations are at a record 217 with 59 people in intensive or critical care.

Two deputy provincial health officers have been delegated from Henry's office to serve as liaisons with schools and WorkSafeBC to ensure exposures are tracked rapidly and safety plans are being followed.

Schools are seeing people exposed to the virus, but very few transmissions.

Dr. Henry said she will be monitoring risks in bars, where it can be difficult to ensure all patrons and staff are following the rules. Shared staff meals at restaurants and workplace socializing have also been linked to community outbreaks.

"The vast majority of businesses across the province are doing a great job," said Henry.

"When rules are followed and safety measures are in place, we don't see transmission of this virus."

B.C. is also planning to hire 950 more contact tracers and 76 community health representatives to do culturally safe contact tracing with the First Nations Health Authority.

More than 700 tracers have already been hired since August.

"We know there are vaccines on the horizon," said Henry.

"But right now, we all need to focus our efforts on slowing the spread and bending our curve back down."

Latest news

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to

Related News