Aug 20, 2026 6:36 PM - Connect Newsroom - Jasmine Singh
At least 43 people have died after an overloaded boat capsized in Nigeria’s northwestern Sokoto state, while 16 people have been rescued. Local officials said many of those who died were children.
Abdulkadir Yusuf, a regional official with the National Inland Waterways Authority, said around 40 bodies had been recovered and rescue operations were continuing. Local lawmaker Nasiru Adamu put the death toll at 43.
Residents said the boat was carrying farm owners and workers hired to harvest rice. However, reports differ on the number of people aboard the boat. One resident said more than 70 people were on board, while another estimated the number at 57.
Mustapha Umar, an official with the state emergency management agency, said officials had been dispatched to the scene and that further details would be released later.
