21.46°C Vancouver

News

baltej-dhillon-appointed-chair-of-worksafebcs-board-of-directors
BCJun 30, 2023

Baltej Dhillon appointed chair of WorkSafeBC’s board of directors

Baltej Singh Dhillon has been appointed Chair of WorkSafeBC's Board of Directors for a three-year term effective Friday, June 30.Dhillon is the first South Asian Canadian to hold this role, and has been a member of WorkSafeBC's Board of Directors since 2017.Dhillon had a distinguished career as a police officer spanning more than three decades.Notably, Dhillon created history by becoming the first RCMP member to wear a turban as part of his uniform.In addition, he also received the Queen Elizabeth II Golden and Diamond Jubilee medals for community service.
b-c-health-authority-issues-drug-alert-after-benzodiazepines-found
BCJun 30, 2023

B.C. health authority issues drug alert after benzodiazepines found

A British Columbia health authority has issued a public warning after it says benzodiazepines were detected in vape juice sold in Chilliwack, B.C.Fraser Health issued an overdose alert Thursday saying the juice that tested positive contained cannabis and suspected synthetic cannabinoids and was sold in refillable, unmarked and unbranded cartridges.It did not specify where the product was sold.The alert says reported side-effects include prolonged sedation, nausea, vomiting and blackouts.Health Canada says benzodiazepines, or benzos, are a class of substances often used as sedatives and tranqui
google-set-to-remove-news-links-in-canada-meta-ends-contract-for-journalism-fellowship
CanadaJun 29, 2023

Google set to remove news links in Canada, Meta ends contract for journalism fellowship

Google says it will remove news links in Canada because of a new law that will force digital giants to compensate media outlets for content they share or otherwise repurpose online.Digital giant Meta is terminating the contract for a fellowship program that supports the hiring of a limited number of emerging journalists at newswire service The Canadian Press.The move comes amid fallout from the federal government's Online News Act, formerly known as Bill C-18, which became law last week.The law requires tech companies such as Facebook parent Meta and Google to negotiate deals compensating medi
b-c-staff-who-failed-to-check-on-two-abused-foster-children-lose-jobs-ministry
BCJun 29, 2023

B.C. staff who failed to check on two abused foster children lose jobs: Ministry

The British Columbia government says staff members at the Children's Ministry who failed to check on two Indigenous children who were systematically abused by their foster parents have lost their jobs.A judge sentenced the foster parents this month to 10 years each in prison for the death of the 11-year-old boy and his eight-year-old sister's serious injuries, saying it was incomprehensible how someone could inflict such suffering and violence on an innocent child.While the Ministry of Children and Family Development does not provide the names or the number of people involved, it says in a sta
provincial-booking-system-for-appointments-with-pharmacists-going-live
BCJun 28, 2023

Provincial booking system for appointments with pharmacists going live

Starting Thursday, June 29, 2023, people can book an appointment to see a pharmacist through a new provincial online booking system, making it even easier and more convenient to access the health care they need. The new online booking system is similar to the Get Vaccinated system where people booked appointments to get their COVID-19 and influenza vaccinations. Through the new online booking system, people can search for available appointment times at nearby pharmacies based on their minor ailment or contraceptive needs. Appointments can continue to be made by calling or visiting a pharmacy.
alberta-marks-deadliest-month-for-overdose-deaths-in-april
AlbertaJun 28, 2023

Alberta marks deadliest month for overdose deaths in April

Experts say Alberta's model for combating drug poisoning in the province is not working as opioid-related deaths reached an all-time high this April.The latest provincial data, which was released on Monday, shows 179 people died from drug poisoning in April, making it the month with the highest-ever opioid deaths recorded in Alberta. Elaine Hyshka, who is the Canada Research Chair in health systems innovation, says the latest numbers suggest that the province might be on track for the worst year yet.Hyshka says the increased number of overdoses shows the illegal supply of drugs in Alberta is h
trudeau-announces-child-care-infrastructure-funding-to-build-more-spaces
CanadaJun 28, 2023

Trudeau announces child-care infrastructure funding to build more spaces

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced $625 million of funding to help provinces and territories build child-care infrastructure.Trudeau says the money will be rolled out over four years and will help providers renovate, retrofit and build new not-for-profit and public child-care facilities.The announcement follows through on the child-care infrastructure fund promised by the Liberal government in the 2022 budget.It's meant to complement the national child-care program, which aims to deliver child care for $10 a day, on average, by 2026.Parents have already seen fees reduced by an average
alberta-ndp-says-smith-hid-overdose-data-demands-transparency
AlbertaJun 27, 2023

Alberta NDP says Smith hid overdose data, demands transparency

Alberta's Opposition NDP is accusing Premier Danielle Smith of concealing the latest data on opioid-related deaths until after last month's provincial election.The latest provincial data released Monday shows 179 people died from drug poisoning in April, the highest number in a single month.NDP legislature member David Shepherd says Smith stood on a podium and claimed her United Conservative government's model was working.He says the UCP hid the truth for the sake of their ideological policies, as he demanded transparency and a focus on harm reduction.Smith's office did not immediately respond
canada-bans-testing-of-cosmetic-products-on-animals
CanadaJun 27, 2023

Canada bans testing of cosmetic products on animals

Canada has banned testing cosmetic products on animals.It's a largely symbolic move that brings Canada's policy in line with dozens of other countries.Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says Bill C-47 was enacted last week, and included amendments to the Food and Drug Act.The act prohibits brands from selling cosmetics that rely on animal testing data to establish safety going forward.But the ban does not work retroactively.Products that were previously tested on animals can still be sold.Speaking at a news conference in Toronto this morning, Duclos says Canadians can rest easy knowing their cos

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees