21.25°C Vancouver

News

election-date-in-n-w-t-may-be-postponed-due-to-wildfires
CanadaAug 29, 2023

Election date in N.W.T may be postponed due to wildfires

The Northwest Territories legislature is to meet later today to discuss delaying a territorial election set for October because of wildfires.The territory is scheduled to go to the polls on Oct. 3.But because of massive evacuations in several communities and general safety concerns, the N.W.T.'s chief electoral officer has suggested that be pushed until November.Some members of the territory's legislature say there's clear support for delay.The territory operates by a consensus system without political parties, in which elected members choose the premier from among themselves.Over the weekend,
189-buildings-destroyed-due-to-wildfires-in-b-cs-okanagan
BCAug 28, 2023

189 buildings destroyed due to wildfires in B.C's Okanagan

The number of properties damaged or completely destroyed in B.C.'s Okanagan wildfires has risen to 189.Central Okanagan Emergency Operations made the announcement on Monday.These properties were damaged in the regional district of West Kelowna and Central Okanagan West Electoral Area A.The devastating McDougall Creek fire is still out of control, West Kelowna Fire Chief Jason Brolund said in a briefing.Chief Administrative Officer Sally Ginter says the center is contacting all affected homeowners and asking them to recheck their property status online at cordemergency.ca/propertyinfo.Ginter sa
deaths-from-cancer-heart-disease-overdose-and-covid-19-rise-in-2021-statcan
CanadaAug 28, 2023

Deaths from cancer, heart disease, overdose and Covid-19 rise in 2021: StatCan

According to Statistics Canada, there were 311,640 deaths in Canada in 2021, a 1.0% increase from 2020.More people died in Canada in 2021 than last year.Cancer, heart disease, overdose and Covid-19 are cited as leading causes of death.Male deaths increased by 2.5%, and female deaths decreased by 0.5% compared to 2020.Cancer and heart disease remain the two leading causes of death, Statcan says.Accidental deaths have increased by 14.5 percent in 2021.The fourth leading cause of death was reported to be Covid-19, which also continued to affect the health of Canadians.Statistics show that in the
heat-warning-issued-for-several-b-c-communities-records-broken
BCAug 28, 2023

Heat warning issued for several B.C. communities, records broken

Persistent heat is expected to continue today in parts of British Columbia as the province continues to battle almost 400 active wildfires.Environment Canada says several communities in northern B.C. are facing heat warnings, with daily high temperatures predicted to reach in excess of 30 degrees.Communities currently under a heat warning include Fort Nelson, Fort St. John, Dawson Creek, Tumbler Ridge and Terrace.According to Environment Canada data, Fort Nelson is expected to reach 32 C again today after breaking its historic high temperature for August 27 at 32.4 C.Historic daily high temper
7-people-who-died-in-old-montreal-fire-being-investigated-as-homicide
CanadaAug 28, 2023

7 people who died in Old Montreal fire being investigated as homicide

A March fire in Old Montreal that killed seven people is now being investigated as a homicide.A press conference will be held by the Montreal Police at 3 pm.In the meantime, the police can lay charges of murder.Most of the seven people who died in the fire were living in illegal short-term rentals.An investigation into the matter was launched by the Montreal Police Arson Squad.According to sources, the case has now been transferred to the Montreal Police Major Crimes Division.If the fire was set on purpose, the police may add charges of murder in this case.
b-c-s-farmers-concerned-about-impacts-of-climate-change
BCAug 28, 2023

B.C.'s farmers concerned about impacts of climate change

B.C. farmers say they're increasingly concerned about climate change and the impacts of extreme weather on food production in the province.Because of its warm climate, B.C. has a unique agriculture industry.The province's farmers can grow fruit and vegetables that won't grow in other parts of Canada, and B.C. also boasts of Western Canada's only major winery regions.But in the last three years, B.C. farmers have suffered through drought, extreme heat, flooding and fires.These disasters have resulted in crop failures, livestock losses and widespread damage to farmland and infrastructure.Some fa
sextortion-cases-on-rise-in-montreal-14-to17-year-old-teens-victimized
CanadaAug 28, 2023

Sextortion cases on rise in Montreal, 14 to17 year old teens victimized

Montreal police are warning young people to be careful online after the number of sextortion cases they've seen has risen dramatically.The force says its child sex exploitation unit has already received more than 100 complaints this year, compared to about 30 at the same time last year.Police say victims are most often young men between the ages of 14 and 17 who are contacted online by people posing as teen girls.The perpetrator builds the victim's trust before asking for intimate photos or videos, only to threaten to publish the images or send them to family and friends if a payment isn't sen
AlbertaAug 25, 2023

Alberta woman denied transplant over vaccine status, dies

Sheila Annette Lewis, the Alberta woman who was denied an organ transplant because she refused to receive a COVID-19 vaccine, has died. In recent months, Lewis had been crowdsourcing funding to travel to the United States to get an organ transplant, but she died before that happened. She was 58. In 2018, Lewis was diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, a chronic lung disease, and was placed on the Alberta transplant wait list. In 2021, Lewis was told she would also need the COVID-19 vaccine to receive the transplant. Given the high risks of death following a transplant, and the immunos
houses-of-13-fire-fighters-burnt-in-forest-fire
BCAug 25, 2023

Houses of 13 fire fighters burnt in forest fire

The chief of a small rural fire department in the B.C.'s Okanagan area says 13 members of his own crew have lost their homes while fighting wildfires this season.Wilson's Landing Fire Chief Paul Zydowicz says members of the department still continued their fight to extinguish the wildfire.Their homes were among 181 destroyed around Okanagan Lake last week.Zydowicz says those who have lost their homes will be cared for by emergency support services.Much of the area in the west of the lake is still under evacuation orders.It is worth noting that there are currently about 370 wildfires active in

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees