20.18°C Vancouver

News

CanadaJul 27, 2026

Targeted Etobicoke shooting leaves 26-year-old woman dead; man charged with first-degree murder

A 26-year-old woman killed in a targeted shooting in Toronto's Etobicoke neighbourhood last week has been identified as Navneet Kaur. Toronto police have charged 37-year-old Sharanjit Singh with first-degree murder and with failing to comply with release conditions in an unrelated case. According to Toronto Police Service, the shooting occurred at approximately 7:20 a.m. Friday near Humberwood Boulevard and Rexdale Boulevard. Investigators, citing witness accounts, allege the suspect briefly spoke with Kaur before opening fire. Emergency responders attempted to save Kaur's life, but police sai
BCJul 24, 2026

Woman fatally shot in Toronto's Etobicoke; suspect arrested, police say

A woman was fatally shot in Toronto's Etobicoke neighbourhood early Saturday morning, and a suspect has been arrested, according to Toronto Police. Police said officers responded to reports of a shooting at about 7:20 a.m. near Humberwood Boulevard and Rexdale Boulevard. The woman was found with gunshot injuries and was pronounced dead. Police have not publicly identified the victim or the accused, and the investigation remains ongoing. An eyewitness told media the victim appeared to be a woman in her early 20s and was walking from a nearby bus stop when a man approached her from behind, brief
BCJul 24, 2026

Surrey Council to Vote on Contract for 56 New Speed Bumps Near Schools and Parks

The City of Surrey is moving ahead with plans to install 56 new speed bumps near schools and parks as part of efforts to improve safety for children and pedestrians. Surrey City Council is scheduled to vote Monday on a contract to carry out the project. According to the council agenda, the project will be funded through the City's 2026 transportation budget. If approved, installation is expected to begin later this month, with work targeted for completion by the end of September ahead of the new school year. The proposed construction schedule would allow work to take place Monday through Frida
roundtable-to-examine-canadas-proposed-safe-social-media-act
EnglishJul 24, 2026

Roundtable to examine Canada's proposed Safe Social Media Act

The federal government is set to hold a roundtable discussion on Monday to examine the proposed Safe Social Media Act, known as Bill C-34, as consultations continue on new digital safety measures. According to the government, Canadian Culture Minister Mark Miller will co-chair the discussion with British Columbia Member of Parliament Patrick Weiler. The meeting is expected to focus on key provisions of the proposed legislation and broader digital safety regulations. The government introduced Bill C-34 in the House of Commons in June. The proposed legislation would prohibit children under the a
BCJul 24, 2026

Livingstone Avenue closed through the weekend in Abbotsford for Highway 1 widening project

Abbotsford Police have issued a traffic advisory as construction continues on the Highway 1 widening project through the Fraser Valley. According to the B.C. Ministry of Transportation, Livingstone Avenue in Abbotsford will be fully closed through the weekend. The closure begins Friday and is expected to remain in effect until Monday morning. The affected section extends from east of Mall Access Road to west of Gardner Park. According to Abbotsford Police, access to local businesses and residential properties will be maintained throughout the closure. Motorists are encouraged to use alternate
BCJul 24, 2026

Wildfire smoke degrades air quality across parts of B.C.; warnings remain in effect

Smoke from ongoing wildfires in British Columbia continues to reduce air quality across several parts of the province, with Kelowna experiencing hazardous conditions on Thursday. According to IQAir, Kelowna's Air Quality Index (AQI) exceeded 300 at one point Thursday afternoon, making it the city with the poorest air quality in the world during that period. Earlier in the week, Ashcroft recorded Canada's worst air quality on Monday morning. Environment Canada has maintained high-impact air quality warnings for several regions, including the Fraser Canyon, Merritt and Kelowna. The agency says w
new-gordie-howe-international-bridge-to-open-to-public-traffic-monday
CanadaJul 24, 2026

New Gordie Howe International Bridge to open to public traffic Monday

The Gordie Howe International Bridge connecting Windsor, Ontario, and Detroit, Michigan, will open to public traffic on Monday, marking a major milestone for cross-border transportation between Canada and the United States. Federal Infrastructure Minister Gregor Robertson made the announcement during the bridge's official opening ceremony on the Canadian side in Windsor. According to the federal government, the new cable-stayed bridge spans the Detroit River and provides a direct highway-to-highway connection between Ontario Highway 401 and Michigan Interstate 75. The six-lane bridge is expect
sonam-wangchuk-ends-hunger-strike-reports-claim-congress-mp-vivek-tankha-helped-break-deadlock
IndiaJul 24, 2026

Sonam Wangchuk ends hunger strike; reports claim Congress MP Vivek Tankha helped break deadlock

Social activist Sonam Wangchuk has ended his hunger strike after what he described as two days of continuous talks with the central government. Reports claim Congress Rajya Sabha MP Vivek Tankha played a key role in facilitating backchannel discussions that helped resolve the impasse. According to the reports, backchannel negotiations continued for nearly three days, with efforts made at multiple levels to reach a consensus. Some Ladakhi leaders are also reported to have acted as intermediaries during the discussions. Tankha has previously represented Wangchuk in the Supreme Court in a case re
canada-ecuador-sign-free-trade-agreement-ottawa-says-deal-will-expand-opportunities-for-exporters
CanadaJul 24, 2026

Canada, Ecuador sign free trade agreement, Ottawa says deal will expand opportunities for exporters

The Government of Canada has officially signed a free trade agreement with Ecuador, marking a new step in expanding Canada's trade relationships in Latin America. According to the Government of Canada, International Trade Minister Maninder Sidhu and Ecuador's Minister of Foreign Affairs and Human Mobility, Luis Alberto Jaramillo, signed the agreement during a ceremony in Ottawa on Friday. The federal government said the agreement is expected to create new opportunities for Canadian businesses, workers and exporters. Federal officials said the agreement will improve market access across several

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees