-0.54°C Vancouver

News

sexual-assault-charges-approved-against-unregistered-massage-practitioner-in-vancouver
BCFeb 12, 2021

Sexual assault charges approved against unregistered massage practitioner in Vancouver

Charges were approved Thursday by the BC Prosecution Service against a Vancouver man following a Vancouver Police sexual assault investigation."Thankfully this woman didn’t sustain any physical injuries from the assault and she was able to call police immediately after the incident occurred," says Constable Tania Visintin, VPD. The female victim had a massage booked at a business near West Broadway Avenue and Macdonald Street on February 10. It is alleged the unlicensed male massage practitioner assaulted her while she was laying on the massage table."We hope this result can bring peace to t
vpd-seizes-alarming-number-of-weapons-from-kerisdale-home-one-man-charged
BCFeb 12, 2021

VPD seizes alarming number of weapons from Kerisdale home, one man charged

Vancouver Police seized numerous weapons and tactical items from a suite in a building near Yew Street and West 37th Avenue last month following a domestic dispute investigation. "This extensive seizure is concerning," says Constable Tania Visintin, VPD. "These are very dangerous weapons and we are pleased they are off the street and in police custody." Officers responded to a 9-1-1 call about an alleged domestic dispute the morning of January 26. A witness had told police they had heard a man and woman yelling for 45 minutes. When officers arrived on scene to speak to the couple, they observe
strict-new-quarantine-and-testing-measures-for-travellers-arriving-in-canada-will-begin-feb-22
CanadaFeb 12, 2021

Strict new quarantine and testing measures for travellers arriving in Canada will begin Feb. 22

Strict new quarantine and testing measures for travellers arriving in Canada will begin Feb. 22. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the new measures are necessary to protect Canadians and help stop the spread of COVID-19, especially new variants. The government had previously announced incoming travellers will have to pay the cost of a 72-hour hotel stay and a COVID-19 test. More details of how that will work and who will be covered will come later today. Trudeau says there will be exceptions for some essential workers but says no one should be travelling for any non-essential reason right no
police-investigate-latest-fatal-shooting-in-metro-vancouver-that-has-killed-one-man
BCFeb 12, 2021

Police investigate latest fatal shooting in Metro Vancouver that has killed one man

Homicide detectives confirm they are responding to a deadly attack in a residential area of southeast Burnaby, B.C. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says in a social media post that a man was fatally shot just after 10 p.m. Thursday. No other details have been released and police have not said if the case is considered targeted. The shooting occurred near the same Burnaby park where 32-year-old Chris Kenworthy was found dead from gunshot wounds on Feb. 3. Kenworthy's slaying was one of two that occurred within 12 hours in Metro Vancouver, and investigators have said both those attac
rakesh-tikait-warns-farmers-protest-will-go-on-for-indefinite-period
IndiaFeb 12, 2021

Rakesh Tikait warns farmers' protest will go on for indefinite period

Bhartiya Kisan Union (BKU) spokesperson Rakesh Tikait on Friday said the ongoing farmers' protest will go on for indefinite period as there is no planning regarding the duration yet."Farmers' protest will go on for indefinite period as there is no plan currently. It might continue till October," Tikait told ANI.He said this in response to the statement of Samyukt Kisan Morcha (SKM) leader Gurnam Singh Charni that the farmers' protest will continue till October.Tikait had earlier warned the farmers' agitation will not conclude unless government repeals the three newly enacted agriculture laws a
two-men-dead-one-rescued-after-tugboat-incident-on-b-c-s-north-coast
BCFeb 12, 2021

Two men dead, one rescued after tugboat incident on B.C.'s north coast

Two men are dead and one man has been rescued after a tugboat incident on British Columbia's north coast. The RCMP say at 12:40 a.m. Thursday, the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre received an emergency beacon from a tugboat in the Gardner Canal near Kemano, about 75 kilometres southeast of Kitimat. An RCMP West Coast Marine vessel stationed in Hartley Bay responded and found the first dead man, before the Canadian Coast Guard assisted and found the second dead man. The Mounties say one man was spotted by a private helicopter on the shore and has been transported to local hospital. B.C. Emerg
skiers-rescued-in-military-helicopter-northeast-of-squamish
BCFeb 12, 2021

Skiers rescued in military helicopter northeast of Squamish

Two skiers have been rescued in a military helicopter northeast of Squamish, B.C., after one of them suffered a leg injury. Squamish Search and Rescue manager Tyler Duncan says the pair had been camping and skiing in the Mamquam Lake area but one of them fell and was unable to ski out. Duncan says a local helicopter could not fly in frigid temperatures so a military helicopter was requested from CFB Comox. He says the men were well-prepared and experienced skiers who called for help using a satellite communication device. Duncan says they are both from Squamish and were transported to the loc
dr-henry-and-adrian-dix-say-overdose-crisis-is-as-important-as-the-covid-19-pandemic-opioids-contributed-to-record-fatalities-in-2020
BCFeb 12, 2021

Dr. Henry and Adrian Dix say, overdose crisis is as important as the COVID-19 pandemic; opioids contributed to record fatalities in 2020

British Columbia's top doctor and health minister say the overdose crisis is as important as the COVID-19 pandemic the province has been dealing with for over a year. Dr. Bonnie Henry and Adrian Dix say there's no vaccine to help end the deaths associated with toxic opioids that contributed to a record 1,713 fatalities in 2020. They say in a joint statement that another 1,278 people have died from COVID-19 since the pandemic began last year. Nine more deaths have been recorded in the province and 449 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 72,305 cases. Dr. Henry and Dix say nearly 160,000 dose
in-a-virtual-roundtable-with-nurses-and-doctors-pm-trudeau-acknowledges-the-rollout-of-vaccines-across-the-country-has-been-lagging
CanadaFeb 12, 2021

In a virtual roundtable with nurses and doctors, PM Trudeau acknowledges the rollout of vaccines across the country has been lagging

A month-long slowdown in Canada's COVID-19 vaccine deliveries will finally be over. In a virtual roundtable with nurses and doctors from around Canada, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau acknowledged that the rollout of vaccines across the country has been lagging. But federal officials now say the pace will pick up starting next week. Trudeau says things are about to get better in the fight against the coronavirus, with Canada approaching something he called "the big lift" with millions of vaccines about to reach our shores. Pfizer will ship 400,000 doses to Canada starting MondayThe single bigge

Just In

leblanc-to-meet-u-s-trade-representative-ahead-of-cusma-review
CanadaFeb 19, 2026

LeBlanc to meet U.S. trade representative ahead of CUSMA review

Canada’s minister responsible for Canada–U.S. trade says he plans to meet with the United States trade representative in the coming weeks as both countries prepare for the scheduled review of the Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement. Dominic LeBlanc said he recently spoke by phone with Jamieson Greer following public remarks from Washington suggesting that Canadian trade barriers have complicated bilateral discussions. The talks come as the United States signals it may seek changes to the trilateral pact. The trade agreement, commonly known as Canada–United States–Mexico Agreement
burnaby-rcmp-warn-seniors-after-couple-loses-300-000-in-impersonation-scam
BCFeb 19, 2026

Burnaby RCMP warn seniors after couple loses $300,000 in impersonation scam

Burnaby RCMP are warning residents to remain vigilant after an elderly couple lost approximately $300,000 in a fraud scheme involving someone posing as a police officer. Police say the couple, both in their 80s, reported the incident on January 28 after being contacted by an individual claiming to be an RCMP officer. The caller allegedly told them their bank account had been compromised and instructed them to transfer their money to protect it. Over several weeks, the victims moved funds through multiple deposits and were directed to purchase gift cards as part of the scheme. They were also to
IndiaFeb 18, 2026

Court Grants Bail to BKU Ekta Ugrahan Leaders, Protests to Continue Across Punjab

A court in Bathinda on Wednesday granted bail to two senior leaders of Bharatiya Kisan Union Ekta Ugrahan who had been lodged in the Bathinda Central Jail during ongoing farmer protests in Punjab. Confirming the development, state president Joginder Singh Ugrahan said while the bail of the two leaders has been approved, demonstrations across the state will continue until all workers detained during the protests are released. He stated that the union will organize “victory rallies” across Punjab on Thursday. The arrests came as authorities moved to prevent a large-scale protest planned for
ottawa-expands-express-entry-system-to-include-researchers-and-military-recruits
CanadaFeb 18, 2026

Ottawa expands express entry system to include researchers and military recruits

The federal government is expanding Canada’s express entry immigration system to include new permanent residency pathways for researchers, senior managers and certain military recruits, Immigration Minister Lena Diab announced this week. The changes introduce three additional streams under the federal express entry program, aimed at attracting skilled professionals to address labour shortages and support what the minister described as a strategy to bring top talent to Canada. Among those newly eligible are researchers and senior managers with Canadian work experience. The transport sector wi
israeli-gunfire-incidents-in-gaza-leave-two-dead-several-injured-amid-medical-evacuation-delays
WorldFeb 18, 2026

Israeli gunfire incidents in Gaza leave two dead, several injured amid medical evacuation delays

Two Palestinians were killed in separate shooting incidents in Gaza on Wednesday, according to local hospital officials, as tensions continue despite a ceasefire announced in mid October. Medical authorities reported that the shootings occurred in the Al Mughraqa area of central Gaza and in Al Mawasi, west of Rafah in the south. At least three other Palestinians were injured in the incidents and taken to nearby hospitals for treatment. The violence comes as Israeli forces attempt to restrict movement near the Rafah border crossing with Egypt, a critical route for patients seeking urgent medica