20.56°C Vancouver

News

59-new-cases-of-covid-19-and-no-new-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCJul 08, 2021

59 new cases of COVID-19 and no new deaths reported in B.C.

BC is reporting 59 new cases of COVID-19 and no new deaths. In the last 24 hours, no new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,759. Health officials say there are currently 624 active cases in the province. Eighty-six people are in hospital, including 20 in intensive care. COVID-19 vaccinations have edged up with 78.2 per cent of residents aged 12 and older receiving their first dose and 38.2 per cent getting their second shot. Since December 2020, the Province has administered 5,404,047 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
england-beats-denmark-2-1-in-extra-time-reaches-euro-2020-final
WorldJul 07, 2021

England beats Denmark 2-1 in extra time, reaches Euro 2020 final

England has broken through its semifinal ceiling at major soccer tournaments. A title match awaits for the first time in 55 years. Harry Kane converted the rebound after his initial penalty was saved in the 104th minute to give England a come-from-behind 2-1 win over Denmark in extra time at Wembley Stadium in the European Championship semifinals. England will return to its national soccer stadium on Sunday to play Italy and will be competing in its first final since the 1966 World Cup. That remains England's only international title. England had to rally for the win after Mikkel Damsgaard sc
one-person-arredted-following-downtown-vancouver-car-crash-that-killed-11-month-old-baby
BCJul 07, 2021

One person arredted following downtown Vancouver car crash that killed 11 month old baby

Vancouver Police are appealing for witnesses after a two car collision claimed the life of an eleven month old child and injured her 31-year-old father yesterday evening. "This is an absolute tragedy," says Constable Tania Visintin, VPD. "Our most heart-felt condolences go out to the parents and family of this little girl." A black Ford Escape collided with a black Mclaren in the intersection of Smithe and Hornby streets just after 6 p.m. on July 6. As a result of the collision, one of the vehicles mounted the sidewalk and struck a man who was carrying his 11-month old daughter. The child died
man-who-stabbed-b-c-high-schoolers-ineligible-for-parole-for-16-years
BCJul 07, 2021

Man who stabbed B.C. high schoolers ineligible for parole for 16 years

A man who fatally stabbed a teenage girl in her high school's rotunda in Abbotsford, B.C., in 2016 will not be eligible to apply for parole for 16 years, after a judge ruled the impacts of his actions have been "powerful and far-reaching." Gabriel Klein was convicted of second-degree murder and aggravated assault in March 2020 in the attack that killed 13-year-old Letisha Reimer and seriously injured her friend. He receives an automatic life sentence and an additional seven-year sentence for the aggravated assault, to be served concurrently. However, Klein also received seven years' credit for
13-wildfires-of-note-continue-to-burn-in-b-c-including-392-square-kilometre-fire-northwest-of-kamloops
BCJul 07, 2021

13 wildfires of note continue to burn in B.C. including 392-square kilometre fire northwest of Kamloops

The BC Wildfire Service says just over 200 blazes are currently burning in the province, more than half of them sparked this week. The wildfire service website shows at least 17 new fires ignited overnight, eight of them by lightning, while the cause of the other nine is listed as ``unknown.'' Thirteen wildfires of note continue to burn, including the 77-square kilometre fire that swept through Lytton last week and the largest, the 392-square kilometre fire northwest of Kamloops, that began near Sparks Lake more than a week ago and remains out of control. Evacuation orders are in place for si
10-more-victims-found-in-florida-condo-rubble-death-toll-46
WorldJul 07, 2021

10 more victims found in Florida condo rubble; death toll 46

The search for victims of the collapse of a Miami-area high-rise condominium has reached its 14th day, with the death toll at 46 and authorities sounding increasingly grim. Nearly 100 people remain unaccounted for including three Canadians. Miami-Dade Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah told family members in a private briefing Wednesday that workers had pulled 10 more bodies and additional human remains from the rubble, raising the death toll. Crews have been digging through pulverized concrete where the Champlain Towers South building in Surfside once stood. The fire department released a v
shapovalov-advances-to-wimbledon-semifinals-with-five-set-victory-over-khachanov
CanadaJul 07, 2021

Shapovalov advances to Wimbledon semifinals with five-set victory over Khachanov

Canada's Denis Shapovalov is through to the semifinals at Wimbledon after posting a 6-4, 3-6, 5-7, 6-1, 6-4 win over Russia's Karen Khachanov. Shapovalov, seeded 10th at the All England Club, fired 17 aces in the match and won 86 per cent of first serve points. He hit 59 winners to Khachanov's 31 and converted five of his 19 break point chances. Shapovalov, from Richmond Hill, Ont., faces top seed Novak Djokovic in the semifinals. Later today, Montreal's Felix Auger-Aliassime looks to join Shapovalov in the final four when he faces Italy's Matteo Berrettini.
trudeau-condemns-assassination-of-haitis-president-jovenel-moïse-offers-assistance
CanadaJul 07, 2021

Trudeau condemns assassination of Haiti's President Jovenel Moïse, offers assistance

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he strongly condemns the assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse at his home. Trudeau says in a Twitter post that he denounces the "appalling assassination," adding that Canada is ready to support the people of Haiti and offer any assistance they need. A group of gunmen killed Moïse and wounded his wife in their home early today, inflicting more chaos in the Caribbean country already enduring an escalation of gang violence, antigovernment protests and a recent surge in COVID-19 infections. The assassination creates more uncertainty ahead of planned
jagmeet-singh-looks-west-to-retake-lost-turf-in-b-c-but-hurdles-dot-the-path
NationalJul 07, 2021

Jagmeet Singh looks West to retake lost turf in B.C., but hurdles dot the path

When an election is called, the New Democrats will be looking totake back lost territory in Western Canada and once again try toconvince voters to choose orange. N-D-P leader Jagmeet Singh says the party is looking to expandits turf in B-C's Lower Mainland as well as in more rural parts ofthe province where it goes head-to-head with Tories. Eleven of the New Democrats' 24 incumbent candidates are based inB-C, a province where the Liberals are also counting on gains to winback a majority in the House of Commons.

Just In

poilievre-says-conservatives-would-campaign-against-alberta-separation-referendum
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Poilievre says Conservatives would campaign against Alberta separation referendum

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he and all Conservative MPs would campaign to keep Alberta in Canada if a referendum on separation is held in the province. Poilievre said the party would take the same position in Quebec if a Parti Québécois government were elected and moved ahead with a sovereignty referendum there. The comments come as Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to deliver a televised address later today. Her United Conservative government is considering whether to include a question related to Alberta’s future within Canada in a series of referendums planned for
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-amid-renewed-separation-referendum-debate
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address amid renewed separation referendum debate

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to deliver a televised address Thursday evening amid renewed political debate over a possible referendum on Alberta’s future within Confederation. The address is set to air at 6:45 p.m. on CTV, Global and Rogers television networks and will also be livestreamed on the premier’s social media channels. The appearance follows controversy at a United Conservative Party caucus committee meeting Wednesday, where members debated a motion urging Smith to call an Oct. 19 referendum on Alberta’s place in Canada. The motion, introduced by UCP member Nate
alberta-premier-danielle-smith-announces-cabinet-shuffle-amid-referendum-process
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announces cabinet shuffle amid referendum process

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced a cabinet shuffle Thursday, with several senior ministers receiving new portfolios as the provincial government continues work related to a proposed referendum process in the province. Lieutenant Governor Salma Lakhani administered the oath of office to the newly appointed ministers during a ceremony in Edmonton. Jason Nixon was appointed Alberta’s new finance minister, while Adriana LaGrange returned to the hospitals and surgical health services portfolio. Tara Sawyer was named minister of agriculture and irrigation. Nathan Neudorf was appointed mini
carney-eby-discuss-fast-tracking-major-projects-during-vancouver-meeting
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Carney, Eby discuss fast-tracking major projects during Vancouver meeting

Prime Minister Mark Carney and British Columbia Premier David Eby held a closed-door meeting in Vancouver on Wednesday, where both leaders discussed a new co-operation agreement aimed at accelerating development projects across the province. Following the meeting, Carney said closer collaboration between federal and provincial governments would help strengthen Canada’s economy and move major projects forward more quickly. He said governments can achieve more when they work together and added that economic growth remains a priority. Earlier in the day, the prime minister addressed a business
unions-raise-concerns-over-possible-changes-to-federal-labour-laws-in-canada
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Unions raise concerns over possible changes to federal labour laws in Canada

Several Canadian unions are raising concerns over potential changes to federal labour laws being considered by Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government, warning the move could limit workers’ right to strike. According to reports, the federal government circulated a discussion paper on April 17 seeking feedback from selected stakeholders, including representatives from the airline, port, railway, telecommunications and banking sectors. Union groups say they are concerned the government could expand the number of workplaces classified as “essential services,” a designation that can restri