16.8°C Vancouver

News

BCDec 06, 2021

B.C. expands disaster financial assistance program after flooding

B-C has expanded emergency financial assistance for people affected by extensive flooding and landslides over the last three weeks. The Ministry of Public Safety says the disaster financial assistance program is available to help eligible people recover from the impacts of a series of destructive storms between November 14th and December 2nd. It says eligibility has been expanded to affected residents in the northwest, southwest, central and southeast regions as well as Vancouver Island. Applications will be accepted until March 3rd
BCDec 06, 2021

Man shot in Coquitlam, B.C., while son sat in back seat, RMCP say

The R-C-M-P say a man sustained non-life-threatening injuries in what they believe may have been a targeted shooting in Coquitlam on Saturday. The Mounties say the man's nine-year-old son, who was in the back seat of the vehicle at the time of the shooting, was unharmed. They say there's not enough information yet to establish or rule out a link between the shooting and gang conflict in the Lower Mainland, but they don't believe it was a completely random act. A silver sedan was seen leaving the area after the shooting and police are asking anyone who was around Westwood Plateau between 4:2
BCDec 06, 2021

Snowfall warning in effect for many parts of BC

Snowfall warnings covered Vancouver Island and parts of B-C's south coast overnight, with the potential for wet flurries lasting into this afternoon. Environment Canada says much of the island could see between five and 10 centimetres of snow near the water and up to 20 at higher elevations inland. Between two and 10 centimetres of snow was expected to fall over the Greater Victoria area, Sunshine Coast and the southern Gulf Islands. The same amount was expected across the Lower Mainland, including Howe Sound, Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.
b-c-reports-405-new-covid-19-cases-and-6-deaths
BCDec 04, 2021

B.C. reports 405 new COVID-19 cases and 6 deaths

B.C. is reporting 405 new cases of COVID-19, including five new epi-linked cases, for a total of 219,584 cases in the province.There are currently 3,071 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 214,047 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 276 individuals are currently in hospital and 95 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the past 24 hours, six new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,351.The new deaths include:Fraser Health: threeIsland Health: twoVancouver Coastal Health: oneThere is one new h
BCDec 04, 2021

Federal and B.C. agriculture ministers host roundtable discussion with representatives of the provincial agriculture and agri-food sector

Marie-Claude Bibeau, federal Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food, and Lana Popham, British Columbia’s Minister of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries held a virtual roundtable with B.C.’s agricultural sector yesterday to listen to their concerns following the devastating floods and landslides and to discuss both immediate and long-term support for the B.C. agriculture and agri-food industry.Extreme weather events in B.C. have caused many agricultural producers and their families to struggle in extremely challenging circumstances as they deal with the loss of businesses, homes, livestock, cro
b-c-adds-4-600-jobs-ravi-kahlon-says-his-ministry-waiting-to-see-what-impact-the-extreme-flooding-may-have-on-the-economy
BCDec 04, 2021

B.C. adds 4,600 jobs, Ravi Kahlon says his ministry waiting to see what impact the extreme flooding may have on the economy

Statistics Canada says BC added 4,600 jobs in the province last month, although Job Minister Ravi Kahlon says his ministry waiting to see what impact the extreme flooding may have on the economy. Kahlon says the province has endured one challenge after another, including COVID-19, the summer's heat dome, wildfires and recent flooding and mudslides, but the resilience of people, businesses and communities has shone through at every turn. The minister says in a statement BC's unemployment rate remains one of the lowest in the country, and it leads the nation with a job recovery rate of 102 per
rcmp-say-rocks-thrown-from-overpass-in-surrey-b-c-damaging-vehicles
BCDec 03, 2021

RCMP say rocks thrown from overpass in Surrey, B.C., damaging vehicles

The RCMP say there have been several dangerous incidents recently where rocks have been thrown from an overpass on Highway 99 in south Surrey, B.C. The Mounties say the rocks were thrown from a pedestrian overpass between the 32nd Avenue and King George Boulevard exits and have struck vehicles, but no one has been injured. Vehicles that have been damaged include a bus, and police say in one incident, a rock the size of a baseball was found. The first of the three incidents happened on the evening of Nov. 26 when a semi-truck and the bus were damaged. The next one happened at night three days
parents-of-michigan-boy-charged-in-oxford-school-shooting
WorldDec 03, 2021

Parents of Michigan boy charged in Oxford school shooting

The parents of a teen accused of killing four students at a Michigan high school have been charged with involuntary manslaughter. A prosecutor described chilling moments that day when a teacher found a drawing of a gun, a person bleeding and the words ``help me'' at the boy's desk. Prosecutor Karen McDonald says Jennifer and James Crumbley committed ``egregious'' acts, from buying the gun for Ethan Crumbley and failing to intervene when they were summoned to the school and confronted with the drawing. Police say he returned to class and later emerged from a bathroom with a gun, firing at stud
naci-strongly-recomends-covid-19-vaccine-booster-shots-for-all-canadians-over-the-age-of-50
BCDec 03, 2021

NACI strongly recomends COVID-19 vaccine booster shots for all Canadians over the age of 50

There's new advice on who should be getting COVID-19 vaccine booster shots and when. The National Advisory Committee on Immunization is now strongly recommending boosters for all Canadians over the age of 50. It's also strongly suggesting boosters for anyone who got two shots of the Oxford-AstraZeneca or Janssen vaccines, First Nations, Inuit and Metis people and front-line health care workers. With the emergence of the Omicron variant, NACI is also suggesting booster shots may be offered to 18 to 49 year olds, but not until at least six months has passed since their second dose.

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to