21.01°C Vancouver

News

immigration-refugees-and-citizenship-canada-waiving-fees-for-bc-residents-who-need-to-replace-documents-that-were-destroyed-in-the-floods
CanadaDec 16, 2021

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada waiving fees for BC residents who need to replace documents that were destroyed in the floods

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has announced it will be waiving fees for BC residents who need to replace documents that were destroyed in the floods that displaced nearly 15,000 people last month. Minister of Immigration Sean Fraser says the special measures will cover submissions from November 15th until May 31st for passports, refugee travel documents, certificates of identity, citizenship certificates and permanent resident cards. He says this will allow Canadians and permanent residents time to sort out what documents they need to replace and to apply at no cost. Immigratio
city-working-to-set-up-a-second-waste-transfer-system-for-the-mountain-of-garbage-henry-braun
BCDec 16, 2021

City working to set up a second waste transfer system for the mountain of garbage: Henry Braun

Abbotsford Mayor Henry Braun says the city is working to set up a second waste transfer system for the mountain of garbage that will be picked up from outside homes. He says ditches along roads in the Sumas Prairie area are also filled with logs, bales of hay and items like propane tanks and vegetables stands, which were ripped from their foundation. He says the costly recovery will take years. The Sumas and Matsqui prairies of Abbotsford make up Canada's top agricultural-producing jurisdiction per hectare.
cracks-now-found-in-21-of-the-canadian-militarys-23-cyclone-helicopters
CanadaDec 16, 2021

Cracks now found in 21 of the Canadian military's 23 Cyclone helicopters

The Canadian military confirmed today that 21 of its 23 Cyclone helicopters have cracks in their tails. Cracks were first detected in one of the maritime helicopters during a routine inspection on Nov. 26 at 443 Maritime Helicopter Squadron at Patricia Bay, B.C. By Dec. 5, the Air Force said it had discovered damage in the same general area on a total of 19 helicopters. At the time, the military said two Cyclones did not appear to have any tail defects, and the remaining two in the fleet were receiving longer-term maintenance and would be inspected at a later date. As of today, cracks on six
canada-surpasses-grim-milestone-with-30-000-covid-19-deaths
CanadaDec 16, 2021

Canada surpasses grim milestone with 30,000 COVID-19 deaths

Canada has surpassed a grim milestone, recording its 30,000th COVID-19 death since the pandemic began in early 2020.Ontario reported nine additional deaths attributed to the virus on Thursday, pushing Canada's overall total to more than 30,000 as experts warned of fresh threats posed by the more transmissible Omicron variant.Canada reached 10,000 COVID-19 deaths last November, and surpassed 20,000 deaths two months later in January, 2021 — a leap that occurred before enough vaccines were administered to have an impact.Experts say vaccines have significantly limited the number of people dying
b-c-reports-584-new-covid-19-cases-and-7-deaths
BCDec 16, 2021

B.C. reports 584 new COVID-19 cases and 7 deaths

B.C. is reporting 584 new cases of COVID-19, including two epi-linked cases, for a total of 224,245 cases in the province.There are 3,458 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 218,295 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 193 individuals are in hospital and 77 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the past 24 hours, seven new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,393.The new deaths include:Fraser Health: twoNorthern Health: threeIsland Health: two Past week cases (Dec. 7-13) – Total 2,781Not va
ontarians-18-can-get-boosters-monday-shorter-dose-interval
CanadaDec 16, 2021

Ontarians 18+ can get boosters Monday, shorter dose interval

Ontario is expanding COVID-19 vaccine booster eligibility to all adults, provided it's been three months since they got their second dose. Residents 18 and over will be able to book their vaccines starting Monday, and Premier Doug Ford says the new push will require all hands on deck. Booster appointments opened up for Ontarians 50 and older just two days ago, and Ford is urging them to book immediately, because they're most at risk of serious illness from the Omicron variant. Ontario Premier Doug Ford has introduced a slate of new measures meant to curb the spread of the highly contagious Omi
i-urge-british-columbians-to-follow-the-federal-governments-advice-to-avoid-non-essential-travel-john-horgan
BCDec 16, 2021

I urge British Columbians to follow the federal government’s advice to avoid non-essential travel: John Horgan

Premier John Horgan has issued the following statement following today’s federal travel advisory:"I urge British Columbians to follow the federal government’s advice to avoid non-essential travel outside the country. As the highly transmissible Omicron variant spreads worldwide, this is not a time to take chances."While this advice undoubtedly disrupts many holiday plans, a fast-changing and unpredictable situation demands we act with caution and prudence. Avoid non-essential travel and follow public health guidelines. Plan your vaccinations and booster shots."As we enjoy the holiday seaso
driver-caught-driving-impaired-and-street-racing-surrey-rcmp
BCDec 16, 2021

Driver caught driving impaired and street racing: Surrey RCMP

Surrey RCMP says a driver was caught driving impaired and street racing in Surrey. Surrey RCMP provided the information in a tweet and shared pictures of the car and the clocked speed. Surrey RCMP on Twitter: Our traffic unit impounded this vehicle for excessive speed, impaired driving & street racing at 192 St & 42 Ave. The driver was issued fines, driving prohibition, a IRP & their license was cancelled. This incident shows the driver’s complete disregard for other road users.
vpd-releases-surveillance-images-of-homicide-victim
BCDec 15, 2021

VPD releases surveillance images of homicide victim

Vancouver police say they have tracked the movements of the caretaker of a city park in the hours before he was killed. Police say 77 year old Justis Daniel was seen walking in his Kitsilano neighbourhood between noon and 7 pm on December 9th and they're hoping people remember seeing him. Images released show Daniel walking along a street dressed in dark clothing, wearing a black baseball cap and carrying a red and grey backpack. Police were called the morning of December 10th to the home in Tatlow Park where the man was found dead and the department says it believes he was killed the day bef

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees