25.13°C Vancouver

News

vancouver-police-seek-public-help-identifying-suspect-in-kitsilano-assault
BCAug 10, 2026

Vancouver police seek public help identifying suspect in Kitsilano assault

Vancouver police are asking the public to help identify a man accused of assaulting a 73-year-old man in Vancouver’s Kitsilano neighbourhood on July 31. According to Vancouver Police Department, officers were called after the two men became involved in a verbal altercation. Police allege the suspect had been yelling at passersby before the victim approached him and asked him to stop and leave the area. Investigators allege the suspect then pushed the victim to the ground. The 73-year-old suffered head injuries in the incident, police said. Police describe the suspect as a Caucasian man with
b-c-first-nations-leaders-urge-governments-to-halt-proposed-west-coast-pipeline
BCAug 10, 2026

B.C. First Nations leaders urge governments to halt proposed West Coast pipeline

Several First Nations leaders in British Columbia are calling on Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith to immediately stop efforts to advance a proposed West Coast oil pipeline. In a letter to Carney and Smith, the Union of British Columbia Indian Chiefs opposed the project, saying further expansion of the oil industry could contribute to climate change and increase the risks associated with natural disasters. The First Nations leaders allege that governments have not engaged in meaningful consultation with them. They say the proposed pipeline route and potential invest
CanadaAug 10, 2026

Montreal man charged over alleged threats against Prime Minister Carney

A 51-year-old Montreal man, Mark Porlier, has been charged with allegedly making threats against Prime Minister Mark Carney. According to the RCMP, Porlier made a violent and threatening comment about the prime minister in an email sent to a Canadian senator and several other people. The RCMP’s federal policing unit began investigating on Aug. 5 after receiving a complaint. Porlier was subsequently taken into custody and appeared in a Montreal court on Aug. 8. Police charged him under Section 264.1 of the Criminal Code with uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm. The RCMP said statem
liberal-mp-shaun-chen-announces-resignation-citing-health-concerns
CanadaAug 10, 2026

Liberal MP Shaun Chen announces resignation, citing health concerns

Liberal MP Shaun Chen has announced he will resign his seat in the House of Commons, citing health concerns following a car accident last year. Chen has represented Scarborough North since 2015. He said he plans to leave Parliament by the end of this month. His resignation comes as several federal MPs from major parties have left office before the end of their terms this year. Three federal byelections are scheduled for Aug. 31 in ridings previously represented by former Liberal ministers Jonathan Wilkinson and Nathaniel Erskine-Smith, and Conservative MP Richard Martel. The federal government
targeted-shooting-in-surreys-whalley-area-leaves-one-person-injured
BCAug 10, 2026

Targeted shooting in Surrey’s Whalley area leaves one person injured

A person was injured in a targeted shooting outside a home in Surrey’s Whalley area late Friday night. According to the Surrey Police Service, officers responded to the area of 88 Avenue and 127 Street at about 11:45 p.m. and found the victim suffering from a gunshot wound. The suspect had left the scene before police arrived. BC Emergency Health Services transported the victim to hospital. Police say the person’s injuries are not considered life-threatening. The Surrey Police Service Major Crime Section is investigating. Police say their initial investigation indicates the shooting appear
ottawa-launches-100m-steel-freight-rebate-to-support-domestic-producers
CanadaAug 10, 2026

Ottawa launches $100M steel freight rebate to support domestic producers

The federal government is launching a $100-million rebate program to reduce the cost of shipping eligible Canadian steel products between provinces and territories, as domestic producers face pressure from tariffs and changing trade conditions. According to the federal government, the program will cover 50 per cent of eligible freight costs for manufacturers moving qualifying steel products by rail or marine transport within Canada. Transportation Minister Steven MacKinnon announced the program Monday. The government says the measure is intended to encourage Canadian manufacturers that use ste
netanyahu-rejects-gaza-plan-says-israeli-forces-will-not-withdraw-until-hamas-is-disarmed
WorldAug 10, 2026

Netanyahu rejects Gaza plan, says Israeli forces will not withdraw until Hamas is disarmed

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has rejected a 15-point plan for Gaza proposed by the U.S. president, saying Israeli forces will not withdraw until Hamas is fully disarmed. Speaking during a cabinet meeting Sunday, Netanyahu said Israel does not accept the document in its current form. He said Hamas must be disarmed in practice, not merely on paper, and that Israel would continue taking action to prevent threats to its soldiers and civilians. Netanyahu said Israel is in discussions with U.S. officials about the next phase of its strategy. He said some U.S. proposals are acceptable to
air-canada-extends-suspension-of-dubai-tel-aviv-flights-into-january-2027
CanadaAug 10, 2026

Air Canada extends suspension of Dubai, Tel Aviv flights into January 2027

Air Canada has extended the suspension of flights to Dubai and Tel Aviv until January 2027, citing continued uncertainty in the Middle East. The airline had previously been expected to resume service to Dubai as part of its winter schedule, with flights to Tel Aviv also potentially returning around the same period. In its latest update, Air Canada said service to Dubai International Airport and Tel Aviv is not expected to resume before mid-January 2027. Affected passengers are being offered flexible booking options. Depending on the applicable terms, travellers can rebook for a later date or c
BCAug 10, 2026

31-year-old Mississauga man found dead after boat overturns on Stewart Lake

A 31-year-old man from Mississauga has died after a boat overturned on Stewart Lake in central Ontario, according to Ontario Provincial Police. Police said emergency crews were called to the area near Georgian Bay Township at about 8 p.m. Saturday after receiving a report of a missing person in the lake. The boat, carrying two people, overturned about 40 feet from shore, police said. One person was safely removed from the water by a nearby boater, while the second person went underwater and did not resurface. The OPP’s Underwater Search and Recovery Unit recovered the 31-year-old man’s bod

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to