20.51°C Vancouver

News

fifth-body-recovered-from-crane-collapse
BCJul 14, 2021

Fifth body recovered from crane collapse

The body of the fifth victim of Monday’s crane collapse was recovered late last night. The Kelowna area man is believed to have been working in an adjacent building when the crane went down, burying him in under the rubble.Crews have been working to stabilize the crane and ensure that the site is safe for search crews.Just after midnight on July 14, the Vancouver Fire Department Heavy Urban Search and Rescue Team was able to enter the zone and recover his remains.Due to the privacy of the victim, no further information will be released regarding his identity."Everyone involved in this tragic
BCJul 14, 2021

Warning about aggressive coyotes after toddler attacked, bitten, in Stanley Park

A two-year-old girl is recovering from bite wounds after she was attacked by a coyote while walking through Stanley Park, in Vancouver. The Conservation Officer Service says it happened around 9:30 p.m. Monday as the toddler walked with a group of children and adults near the aquarium. It says the coyote suddenly jumped on the girl but ran off when her father intervened. The child was treated in hospital for her injuries. It's the latest in a recent series of attacks and conservation officers warn there is a high risk of encountering an aggressive coyote in the park. Two coyotes have already
aiims-prepares-for-possible-covid-19-third-wave-trains-nursing-staff-in-pediatric-care
IndiaJul 14, 2021

AIIMS prepares for possible COVID-19 third wave, trains nursing staff in pediatric care

As part of its efforts to prepare for a third possible COVID-19 wave, nurses at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in Delhi are undergoing a three-day training programme at the hospital's pediatric department.The rotational training programme began on July 12 and was done in three batches over three days, sources told ANI. They added that training will be imparted to nurses from all wards of the hospital's COVID-19 department.AIIMS Delhi College of Nursing is coordinating the programme.During the devastating second COVID-19 wave earlier this year, the country saw children gett
farmers-protest-on-july-22-outside-parliament-will-be-peaceful-says-rakesh-tikait
IndiaJul 14, 2021

Farmers' protest on July 22 outside Parliament will be peaceful, says Rakesh Tikait

Ahead of the planned protest of the farmers outside Parliament on July 22, Bharatiya Kisan Union (BKU) leader Rakesh Tikait on Wednesday said the protest would be ''peaceful' despite the country witnessing violence on Republic Day when protestors reached Red Fort as a part of their 'tractor rally' protest.The protest will be held between the scheduled dates of the monsoon session, which is said to commence on July 19 and conclude by August 13."It will be a peaceful protest. We will sit outside the Parliament while proceedings will continue in the House," Tikait told ANI.He further said 200 peo
b-c-reports-33-new-covid-19-cases-as-active-cases-dip
BCJul 14, 2021

B.C. reports 33 new COVID-19 cases as active cases dip

B.C. is reporting 33 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 148,187 cases in the province.There are currently 639 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 145,775 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 66 individuals are currently in hospital and 14 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation. In the past 24 hours, no new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,760. Since December 2020, the province has administered 5,805,541 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines. 80.2% (3,470,198)
nanaimo-fisherman-has-a-wild-tale-to-tell-and-has-a-video-to-back-up-his-story
BCJul 14, 2021

Nanaimo fisherman has a wild tale to tell and has a video to back up his story

A Nanaimo fisherman has a wild tale to tell and a video to back up his story about the one that got away. Roy Ban was fishing for ling cod near Entrance Island in Nanaimo when he felt a tug on his line from what he thought was a big fish, which took him about 15 to 20 minutes to bring up. Ban says he had to ask his fiancee if she saw what he'd just seen, something that looked like a shark and was longer than a metre and a half. He cut the line and the shark swam away, but Ban says a relative who saw the video later confirmed he'd indeed had an encounter with a sixgill shark.
four-people-were-killed-and-a-fifth-person-is-missing-after-a-crane-collapsed-in-kelowna
BCJul 13, 2021

Four people were killed and a fifth person is missing after a crane collapsed in Kelowna

The Mounties say four people were killed and a fifth person is missing after a crane collapsed in Kelowna, B.C. Insp. Adam MacIntosh says four people on the ground, all construction workers, were killed when the crane toppled off the 25-storey building on Monday. He says the crane operator hasn't been found but police believe his body is buried in the rubble.The upper portion of the crane smashed into a neighbouring building, leaving most of its support tower attached. The head of the development company building the residential tower said Monday he didn't know what caused the crane to fall. J
government-awaiting-the-direction-of-penelakut-tribe-and-other-bc-first-nations-before-acting-on-the-recent-discoveries-of-unmarked-graves-premier-horgan
BCJul 13, 2021

Government awaiting the direction of Penelakut Tribe and other BC First Nations before acting on the recent discoveries of unmarked graves: Premier Horgan

Premier John Horgan has responded to what he says is the ``tragedy of the revelations'' related to the discovery of more unmarked, undocumented graves at a residential school, this one on Penelakut Island, off the southeast coast of Vancouver Island. Horgan says his government is awaiting the direction of the Penelakut Tribe and other BC First Nations before acting on the recent discoveries. He says it would be premature to do anything else while Indigenous people are grieving and coping with generational trauma. Speaking at a news conference this morning, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says h
private-retailers-approved-to-supply-special-event-liquor-in-b-c
BCJul 13, 2021

Private retailers approved to supply special event liquor in B.C.

Private liquor retailers are now allowed to sell their products to holders of special event permits to serve liquor at events such as community festivals, family gatherings and private functions.The change follows a recommendation from the Business Technical Advisory Panel. Previously, only government liquor stores could sell liquor products to permit holders. The private retailers who may now do so include:* B.C. wineries, breweries and distilleries with on-site stores;* licensee retail stores (private liquor stores);* wine stores (excluding sacramental wine stores) and special wine stores; a

Just In

carney-eby-discuss-fast-tracking-major-projects-during-vancouver-meeting
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Carney, Eby discuss fast-tracking major projects during Vancouver meeting

Prime Minister Mark Carney and British Columbia Premier David Eby held a closed-door meeting in Vancouver on Wednesday, where both leaders discussed a new co-operation agreement aimed at accelerating development projects across the province. Following the meeting, Carney said closer collaboration between federal and provincial governments would help strengthen Canada’s economy and move major projects forward more quickly. He said governments can achieve more when they work together and added that economic growth remains a priority. Earlier in the day, the prime minister addressed a business
unions-raise-concerns-over-possible-changes-to-federal-labour-laws-in-canada
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Unions raise concerns over possible changes to federal labour laws in Canada

Several Canadian unions are raising concerns over potential changes to federal labour laws being considered by Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government, warning the move could limit workers’ right to strike. According to reports, the federal government circulated a discussion paper on April 17 seeking feedback from selected stakeholders, including representatives from the airline, port, railway, telecommunications and banking sectors. Union groups say they are concerned the government could expand the number of workplaces classified as “essential services,” a designation that can restri
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Czech snowboarder dies after fall into glacier crevasse in Jasper National Park

A 38-year-old man from the Czech Republic has died after falling into a crevasse on the Columbia Icefield in Alberta’s Jasper National Park, according to RCMP. Police said officers were called to the Columbia Icefield area on May 12 after reports that a snowboarder had fallen into a glacier crevasse while travelling with two friends. RCMP identified the victim as a Czech national who had been living in Revelstoke, B.C. Police said recovery efforts were complicated by the remote terrain and harsh environmental conditions, delaying immediate access to the body. The Columbia Icefield is a major
alberta-premier-danielle-smith-expected-to-announce-cabinet-shuffle
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith expected to announce cabinet shuffle

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to announce changes to her cabinet in Calgary on Thursday, with several high-profile portfolios potentially changing hands. Smith has not publicly confirmed which ministers may be moved, added, or removed from cabinet. According to previous public statements from the government, at least two major portfolios are vacant after Finance Minister Nate Horner and Hospitals Minister Matt Jones announced they will not seek re-election in 2027 and plan to step away from cabinet duties. Speculation has centred on Social Services Minister Jason Nixon as a possib
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Ontario investigating suspected Ebola case linked to East Africa travel

Ontario health officials say a patient who recently returned from East Africa has been hospitalized and tested for Ebola as a precautionary measure. A spokesperson for the Ontario Ministry of Health said the testing is being conducted under established medical protocols and “out of an abundance of caution.” Officials said there are currently no confirmed Ebola cases in the province. Public health authorities said infection-control measures have been implemented to reduce any potential risk of transmission. Officials also emphasized that Ebola does not spread easily through the air and said