24.3°C Vancouver

News

b-c-reports-2-542-new-covid-19-cases-as-active-cases-rise-past-27-000
BCJan 05, 2022

B.C. reports 2,542 new COVID-19 cases as active cases rise past 27,000

Over the past 24 hours, B.C. is reporting 2,542 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 266,710 cases in the province.There are 27,106 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 236,309 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 298 individuals are in hospital and 86 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.The new/active cases include:1,458 new cases in Fraser HealthTotal active cases: 12,729329 new cases in Vancouver Coastal HealthTotal active cases: 8,274270 new cases in Interior HealthTotal active cases: 2,250125 new cases i
b-c-s-top-doctor-says-employers-should-plan-now-for-lots-of-sick-workers
BCJan 05, 2022

B.C.'s top doctor says employers should plan now for lots of sick workers

British Columbia's provincial health officer is advising businesses to put contingency plans in place to continue operating as up to one-third of their staff could be off sick with the Omicron variant of COVID-19. Dr. Bonnie Henry says private companies, schools and health-care sites must all prepare for a wave of illness by reinforcing safety protocols like physical distancing to protect as many people as possible. She says businesses that require employees to come into a workplace should stagger shifts and break times, use Plexiglas barriers and limit the number of customers entering the pre
a-pioneer-in-bcs-broadcast-industry-elizabeth-ann-laird-has-died
BCJan 05, 2022

A pioneer in BC's broadcast industry, Elizabeth Ann Laird has died

Elizabeth Ann Laird, a pioneer in B-C's broadcast industry, has died. Laird moved to BC from Ontario in 1967 and lived in the North Okanagan before settling with her husband and family near Merritt and investing in radio station CJNL1230, now Q-101, in 1994. Laird became the sole owner in 2016 and is credited with giving many broadcasters their start in the industry while she was involved with the station. The active community volunteer, business leader and longtime Merritt-area school trustee sold CJNL to Pattison Media last year. An announcement about a memorial service is expected later.
balraj-nijjar-charged-in-north-delta-stabbing-that-left-two-people-injured
BCJan 04, 2022

Balraj Nijjar charged in North Delta stabbing that left two people injured

On July 11, 2021 shortly after 4 am, the Delta Police were called to a disturbance at Gunderson Park in North Delta.Officers located two victims who had both been stabbed. Their injuries were serious, but not life-threatening. On December 17th, 2021, Crown Counsel approved two charges of Aggravated Assault in relation to the incident. Accused Balraj NIJJAR, 19 years old, of Delta has been arrested and has made his first appearance in court."This event was related to a conflict between individuals who are known to each other, and is not a random incident," says Staff Sergeant David Vaughan-Smit
man-charged-after-allegedly-threatening-a-grocery-store-worker-with-a-meat-cleaver-vpd
BCJan 04, 2022

Man charged after allegedly threatening a grocery store worker with a meat cleaver: VPD

Vancouver police say a 23-year-old man has been charged with one count of robbery after allegedly threatening a grocery store worker with a meat cleaver. Police say it happened yesterday morning at a grocery store in downtown Vancouver when the worker asked the suspect to put on a mask. It's alleged the man pulled the meat cleaver instead, threatened the worker and then left the store without paying for the groceries. Police arrested the man as he tried to hail a cab and he has since been released on bail and ordered to return to court next week.
two-men-face-numerous-charges-related-to-a-series-of-robberies-in-surrey-langley-and-abbotsford
BCJan 04, 2022

Two men face numerous charges related to a series of robberies in Surrey, Langley and Abbotsford

Two men, one from Abbotsford, the other from Calgary, face numerous charges related to a series of robberies in Surrey, Langley and Abbotsford. The alleged heists by the 21 and 22 year old suspects happened on October 2nd, 10th and 11th during break-ins at separate cellphone stores in Surrey and Langley and a pharmacy in Abbotsford. The 21 year old Calgary man faces a total of 11 charges including robbery and forcible confinement, while the 22 year old Abbotsford resident is accused of two counts of robbery and two of forcible confinement. Both were arrested on December 20th and remain in cus
CanadaJan 04, 2022

PM Trudeau gets booster dose of COVID shot

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has again staged media coverage of himself getting a COVID shot. This time it was his third one, the booster. Trudeau got the jab at an Ottawa pharmacy this morning. Provinces have been racing to deliver booster shots as COVID-19 case counts and hospitalizations continue to surge to new heights driven by the Omicron variant. Most provinces have so far delayed in-person learning in schools because of the rampant infection.
BCJan 04, 2022

B.C. is reporting 9,332 new cases of COVID-19 since Friday

B.C. is reporting 9,332 new cases of COVID-19 since Friday. Health officials say a total of 264,181 cases have been reported in the province. The health ministry on Friday reduced the requirement to self-isolate after testing positive for COVID-19 to five days for fully vaccinated people without symptoms. It is encouraging people to wear a mask around others for an additional five days after leaving self-isolation. The ministry said people who haven't been vaccinated are still required to self-isolate for 10 days. It was also announced that visits to long-term care and assisted living fac
CanadaJan 04, 2022

Ottawa is slated to announced today a payment of billions in compensation to First Nations children

An agreement in principle that will see Ottawa pay billions in compensation to First Nations children harmed by an underfunded child welfare system is set to be announced in Ottawa today.Sources have confirmed to The Canadian Press that negotiations reached final stages on New Year's Eve, resulting in an agreement that may finally bring an end to a human rights challenge launched 14 years ago. The case has been a major sore point in reconciliation efforts with Indigenous Peoples in Canada, as both the former and current federal governments spent millions fighting it in court. The battle began

Just In

cta-orders-westjet-to-remove-power-wheelchair-weight-limit
CanadaAug 20, 2026

CTA Orders WestJet to Remove Power Wheelchair Weight Limit

The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has ordered WestJet, Canada’s second-largest airline, to eliminate the weight limit it imposes on power wheelchairs carried on its aircraft. The regulator ruled that WestJet’s weight restriction creates an unreasonable barrier for passengers living with disabilities and must be removed before July 2027. The case came to light following a complaint filed by Winnipeg resident and former federal cabinet minister Steven Fletcher, who was prevented from boarding a WestJet flight last year because of the weight of his customized electric wheelchair. WestJ
BCAug 20, 2026

15-Year-Old Charged After Allegedly Threatening to Burn Down Port Coquitlam Home

A 15-year-old youth has been criminally charged after allegedly making threats to burn down a home in Port Coquitlam. According to Coquitlam RCMP, the case relates to an incident that occurred on May 17 this year. Following an investigation by the General Investigation Section and a review of the evidence, the B.C. Prosecution Service approved the charges on August 4. The youth’s identity has not been released because of his age under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Police also clarified that he is not a resident of the Port Coquitlam area. The youth is facing three charges, including mischi
poilievre-invites-irans-exiled-crown-prince-reza-pahlavi-to-visit-canada
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Poilievre invites Iran’s exiled Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi to visit Canada

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has invited Iran’s former Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi to visit Canada and said he plans to meet with him virtually to discuss democracy and the safety of the Iranian diaspora. Speaking at a Persian Town Hall in British Columbia on Aug. 15, Poilievre said Canadians and foreign governments should not decide who leads Iran, but stressed that the country should ultimately be free and democratic and governed by the Iranian people. Pahlavi, 65, is the son of Iran’s former Shah, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, whose rule ended with the 1979 Islamic Revolution. He now liv
carney-urges-premiers-to-lift-ban-on-u-s-alcohol
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Carney Urges Premiers to Lift Ban on U.S. Alcohol

Prime Minister Mark Carney has urged Canada’s provincial premiers to remove restrictions on U.S. alcohol as Ottawa works to finalize an interim trade agreement with the United States. Trade negotiations between Canada and the U.S. are continuing after President Donald Trump delayed the implementation of a proposed 50 per cent tariff until Friday. Washington has repeatedly raised concerns over Canada’s restrictions on American alcohol products. Because provincial governments control the sale and distribution of alcohol in Canada, Carney held a virtual meeting with the premiers on Wednesday
canada-could-get-tariff-relief-on-steel-aluminum-and-automobiles
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada Could Get Tariff Relief on Steel, Aluminum and Automobiles

Canada could receive some tariff relief on steel, aluminum and automobiles under a new trade deal with the United States that is reportedly nearing completion. According to reports, Washington could reduce the current 50% tariff on some Canadian steel and aluminum exports to 25% as part of the agreement. However, the details have not yet been finalized, and the new rates are not expected to apply equally to all products. Different tariffs could be imposed on certain steel- and aluminum-derived products. Meanwhile, the top-line tariff on automobiles could reportedly be reduced from 25% to 15%.