20.87°C Vancouver

News

ndp-wont-support-back-to-work-legislation-for-rail-lockout-singh-says
CanadaAug 22, 2024

NDP won't support back-to-work legislation for rail lockout, Singh says

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says his party will not support back-to-work legislation or any "interference" in the bargaining process after Canada's two largest railway companies locked out their employees. Canadian National Railway Co. and Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. locked out 9,300 engineers, conductors and yard workers after the two sides failed to agree on a new contract before the midnight deadline. In a statement today, Singh criticized the companies for locking out their employees and said they should be bargaining with Teamsters Canada. A spokesman for Labour Minister Steven MacKinn
multiple-jewish-organizations-hospitals-receive-bomb-threats
CanadaAug 21, 2024

Multiple Jewish organizations, hospitals receive bomb threats

Police in multiple cities across Canada are responding to bomb threats that were sent to Jewish organizations, synagogues and some hospitals this morning. B'nai Brith Canada says more than 100 Jewish institutions received an email at 5 a.m. ET threatening explosions, and Ottawa police say they are on site at several hospitals in the capital.
legault-announces-six-month-freeze-on-some-temporary-foreign-workers-in-montreal
CanadaAug 20, 2024

Legault announces six-month freeze on some temporary foreign workers in Montreal

Quebec Premier François Legault is announcing a six-month freeze on certain temporary foreign worker applications in Montreal. The premier says the moratorium will apply to new applications and renewals, but nurses, teachers, construction workers, food transformation workers and those making at least $57,000 a year will be exempt. Legault says the total number of temporary immigrants across the province has doubled to 600,000 from 300,000 in just two years, putting a strain on housing as well as social services such as health and education. The premier said there are about 12,000 temporary fo
days-after-wildfire-evacuation-ends-jasper-makes-progress-on-path-back-to-normal
FeaturedAug 19, 2024

Days after wildfire evacuation ends, Jasper makes progress on path back to normal

The people of Jasper are making progress on getting back to normal after being allowed back to their town, cleaning their homes, re-uniting with neighbours and seeking insurance information. Friday was the first day residents were allowed back after a wildfire forced the evacuation of the entire community, which eventually lost close to one third of its structures in the blaze. Over the weekend, Parks Canada announced the status of the Jasper Wildfire Complex had changed from out-of-control to being held, and an evacuation alert that advised returning residents to be ready to flee again on an
residents-set-to-enter-their-homes-for-the-first-time-in-fire-ravaged-jasper-townsite
FeaturedAug 16, 2024

Residents set to enter their homes for the first time in fire-ravaged Jasper townsite

Some residents of the Municipality of Jasper are set to return to the town today after a massive wildfire forced them out more than three weeks ago. Jasper Mayor Richard Ireland has said only residents will be allowed to enter the town and other visitors will be directed to stay on the highway and drive on by. The plan had been for a full reopening, but Ireland said this week plans changed after some residents said they were concerned about visitors intruding on their privacy as they learn first-hand the state of their homes and businesses. The town's 5,000 residents, along with 20,000 more vi
ukrainian-president-zelenskyy-says-kyiv-troops-have-full-control-of-the-russian-town-of-sudzha
WorldAug 15, 2024

Ukrainian President Zelenskyy says Kyiv troops have full control of the Russian town of Sudzha

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Thursday that Kyiv troops have full control of the Russian town of Sudzha in the Kursk region in their incursion into Russian territory. The town, the largest that Ukraine has reportedly seized so far, had a prewar population of around 5,000 people. Natural gas flows from West Siberian gas fields through pipes that pass through Sudzha and cross the Ukrainian border into Ukraine’s system. Zelenskyy said a Ukrainian military commander’s office is being set up in Sudzha. He didn’t elaborate on the details or the functions of the office. The claim
immigration-minister-looking-into-revoking-terror-suspects-citizenship
CanadaAug 14, 2024

Immigration minister looking into revoking terror suspect's citizenship

Immigration Minister Marc Miller says he plans to look into whether the man accused of plotting a terror attack in Toronto should have his Canadian citizenship revoked. Ahmed Fouad Mostafa Eldidi, 62, and his son Mostafa Eldidi, 26, were arrested in Richmond Hill, Ont., and face nine terrorism charges including conspiracy to commit murder on behalf of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. When the RCMP announced the charges on July 31 they said the two men were "in the advanced stages of planning a serious, violent attack in Toronto." The elder Eldidi, who is a Canadian citizen, is also ch
parliamentary-committee-to-probe-how-toronto-terror-suspect-was-admitted-to-canada
CanadaAug 13, 2024

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada

A House of Commons committee will investigate how a man facing terror charges was admitted to Canada and obtained citizenship. Members of Parliament on the national security committee voted unanimously to launch a study on the terror suspects arrested in the Toronto area last month. Ahmed Fouad Mostafa Eldidi, 62, and his son Mostafa Eldidi, 26, were arrested in Richmond Hill, Ont., and face nine terrorism charges including conspiracy to commit murder on behalf of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. The RCMP announced the charges on July 31 and said the two men were "in the advanced stag
jasper-to-learn-date-for-return-to-town-today
FeaturedAug 12, 2024

Jasper evacuees to get information on phased re-entry of town today

Details about when and how evacuated residents of Jasper will be allowed to return to their homes nearly three weeks after a wildfire forced them to flee will be announced today. Parks Canada says Unified Incident Command will hold a virtual media briefing this morning to provide information on the phased re-entry into the town of Jasper. On Saturday, Jasper Mayor Richard Ireland said the date when people will be permitted back into the town would come Monday. Ireland said the dedicated work of the fire incident management team meant plans to re-enter the town safely were moving faster than ex

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to