21.63°C Vancouver

News

62-new-covid-19-cases-and-2-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCJul 13, 2020

62 new COVID-19 cases and 2 deaths reported in B.C.

Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, have issued a joint statement regarding updates on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) response in British Columbia. "Today, we are providing case updates for three 24-hour reporting periods. In the first reporting period from July 10 to July 11, we had 21 new cases. From July 11 to July 12, we had 20 new cases and in the last 24 hours, we have had a further 21 new cases."This represents 62 new cases since we reported on Friday, for a total of 3,115 cases in British Columbia."There are 208 active cases of CO
CanadaJul 13, 2020

Trudeau apologizes for not recusing himself from WE decision

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he's very sorry he didn't recuse himself from the government's decision to award a contract to WE Charity to manage a major student-volunteering program.He says his and his family's longtime involvement with the WE organization should have kept him out of the discussions.And he says he's particularly sorry that the delay in the program caused by WE's eventual decision to withdraw will harm students looking for ways to help in the COVID-19 pandemic.Trudeau has faced accusations of cronyism and allegations of a conflict of interest over his past connections wit
quebec-man-facing-genocide-charge-linked-to-alleged-threats-against-trudeau-muslims
CanadaJul 13, 2020

Quebec man facing genocide charge linked to alleged threats against Trudeau, Muslims

A Quebec man charged last December in connection with alleged online threats against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Muslims is facing two new charges.The RCMP said 62-year-old Andre Audet of Boucherville, Que., will appear in court south of Montreal today to face charges of intimidating a justice system participant and advocating genocide.Cpl. Charles Poirier says the justice system participant Audet is accused of intimidating the prime minister.The RCMP says the investigation that began last year found about 100 online posts containing hate, threats or incitement to violence, allegedly ma
amitabh-bacchan-tests-positive-for-covid-19
IndiaJul 11, 2020

Amitabh Bachchan, 3 family members test positive

Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan, his son and two other family members have tested positive for the coronavirus in Mumbai. In a tweet on Saturday, the 77-year-old Bachchan said his family and staff have also undergone tests. His 44-year-old son and fellow actor, Abhishek Bachchan, tweeted Saturday night that he also has tested positive for the virus and is hospitalized. He described their symptoms as mild. Maharashtra state Health Minister Rajesh Tope tweeted on Sunday that Abhishek Bachchan's wife, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, and their eight-year-old daughter too have tested coronavirus posit
25-new-covid-19-cases-in-b-c-health-officials-are-reminding-people-to-continue-taking-precautions
BCJul 10, 2020

25 new COVID-19 cases in B.C., health officials are reminding people to continue taking precautions

BC health officials are reporting 25 new cases of COVID-19 today, as well as one new death. That brings the death toll to 187 among 3,053 people who have tested positive for the disease so far. In a joint statement, Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry say 187 cases are active, with 16 people in hospital. There are ongoing outbreaks at two long-term care or assisted living facilities and one acute care facility. And while there are no active community outbreaks, Dix and Henry say exposure is still happening. The health officials are reminding people to con
conservatives-say-police-should-be-called-into-investigate-we-charity-scandal
CanadaJul 10, 2020

Conservatives say police should be called into investigate WE charity scandal

The Conservatives say they want a criminal investigation into the Liberal government's decision to have the WE organization run a $900-million program for student volunteers.Their call for police to step in comes after it was revealed that the group has paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in speaking fees to members of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's family.Trudeau is already under investigation by the ethics commissioner for potential conflict of interest with regard to the contract, as his long-standing family ties to the group are well known.But that review was launched prior to revelati
20-more-cases-of-covid-19-reported-in-b-c
BCJul 10, 2020

20 more cases of COVID-19 reported in B.C.

Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.'s provincial health officer, have issued the a joint statement regarding updates on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) response in British Columbia. "Today, we are announcing 20 new cases, for a total of 3,028 cases in British Columbia. "There are 175 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 2,667 people who tested positive have recovered. "Of the total COVID-19 cases, 17 individuals are hospitalized, four of whom are in intensive care. The remaining people with COVID-19 are recovering at home in self-isolation. "There have been no
canada-not-ready-for-second-wave-of-covid-19-senate-committee-says
CanadaJul 09, 2020

Canada not ready for second wave of COVID-19, Senate committee says

A new report from a committee of senators says the country is ill-prepared to handle a second wave of COVID-19. The Senate's social affairs committee says the federal government needs to pay urgent attention to seniors in long-term care homes where outbreaks and deaths in the pandemic have been concentrated. There are also concerns in the report about the vulnerability of low-income seniors should there be a second wave of the novel coronavirus later this year. The document made public this morning is the committee's first set of observations on the government's response to the pandemic, with
u-s-supreme-court-says-congress-cant-get-trump-records-for-now
WorldJul 09, 2020

U.S. Supreme Court says Congress can't get Trump records, for now

The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday kept a hold on President Donald Trump’s financial records that Congress has been seeking for more than a year. The ruling returns the case to lower courts, with no clear prospect for when the case might ultimately be resolved. The 7-2 outcome is at least a short-term victory for Trump, who has strenuously sought to keep his financial records private. The decision came after the court upheld a prosecutor’s demand for Trump’s tax returns as part of a criminal investigation that includes hush-money payments to women who claim they had affairs with Trump.

Just In

IndiaAug 19, 2026

Farmers Suspend Protest at Punjab-Haryana Border, Meeting with Manohar Lal Set for September 4

Farmer organizations protesting at the Punjab-Haryana border on Wednesday announced the temporary suspension of their agitation. The decision came after Haryana authorities proposed a meeting with Union Minister Manohar Lal on September 4 to discuss the farmers’ demands. The protesting farmers had been sitting at the Khanauri–Data Singh Wala border point. On August 16, Haryana Police stopped a group of 51 farmers from proceeding towards Delhi. The farmers were undertaking a 228-kilometre-long “Kisan Bachao Padyatra” (Save Farmers March) to oppose the proposed India-U.S. trade agreement
AlbertaAug 19, 2026

Alberta AI Data Centres Face Public Scrutiny at Lacombe Town Hall

Alberta’s Minister of Technology and Innovation, Nate Glubish, is holding a town hall meeting in Lacombe this evening to hear residents’ views and concerns about artificial intelligence (AI) data centres. Plans to establish large-scale data centres in the area have faced opposition from some local residents and environmental advocates. Critics are particularly concerned about the large amounts of water the facilities could consume, their potential impact on the environment, and the heavy electricity demand that could put additional pressure on Alberta’s power grid and potentially increas
b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain