20.81°C Vancouver

News

political-parties-being-criticized-for-failing-to-include-the-issue-of-missing-and-murdered-indigenous-women-in-their-election-platforms
BCOct 14, 2020

Political parties being criticized for failing to include the issue of missing and murdered Indigenous women in their election platforms

BC's three main political parties are being criticized for failing to include the issue of missing and murdered Indigenous women in their election platforms. A coalition of 18 groups, including the Union of BC Indian Chiefs, has sent a letter to the New Democrat, Liberal and Green leaders expressing ``grave concern and disappointment'' about the lack of any policies to implement the findings of a national inquiry into murdered and missing women. The coalition says the COVID-19 pandemic proves governments can move quickly when lives are at risk, yet the failure to act on missing and murdered w
party-leaders-in-british-columbia-back-on-campaign-trail-after-tv-debate
FeaturedOct 14, 2020

Party leaders in British Columbia back on campaign trail after TV debate

The party leaders in British Columbia's provincial election return to the campaign trail today after going head-to-head Tuesday night in a televised debate.The debate featured the three party leaders keeping their distance because of the COVID-19 pandemic.They also dispensed with the usual handshakes in a largely civil debate, with some of the most pointed disagreements emerging on the best approach for economic recovery after the pandemic and energy policy.The post-pandemic recovery featured heavily in Liberal Leader Andrew Wilkinson's attacks on Horgan as he accused the New Democrats of bri
549-covid-19-cases-and-five-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCOct 14, 2020

549 COVID-19 cases and five deaths reported in B.C.

BC has recorded 549 more cases of COVID-19 over a four-day period and five additional deaths. The province's death toll has climbed to 250. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says while the numbers are higher than they'd like to see, there was also a backlog of about 6,000 tests now completed from last week that increased the count. Dr. Henry says four more long-term care centres also have outbreaks in the province. Almost 9,000 of those initially diagnosed with the virus are considered recovered.
b-c-political-leaders-meet-in-live-tv-debate-in-oct-24-election-campaign
BCOct 13, 2020

B.C. political leaders meet in live TV debate in Oct. 24 election campaign

The leaders of B.C.'s three main political parties will meet Tuesday in a televised debate that political experts say could be one of the few events where voters get a chance to truly assess the leaders in what has been a largely scripted online election campaign. New Democrat Leader John Horgan called a snap election last month during the global COVID-19 pandemic and the debate comes with less than two weeks remaining before election day on Oct. 24. Liberal Leader Andrew Wilkinson, Green Leader Sonia Furstenau and Horgan will appear live on television, radio and online for the 90-minute deba
b-c-new-democrats-promise-renters-rebate-rent-freeze-as-parties-ready-for-debate
BCOct 12, 2020

B.C. New Democrats promise renter's rebate, rent freeze as parties ready for debate

The B.C. New Democrats have announced a renter's rebate as the latest plank of their election platform as parties prepare for the first televised debate of the provincial campaign. NDP Leader John Horgan says his party's plan also includes making a cap on rent increases permanent. Under the rebate plan, households that earn up to $80,000 a year will be entitled to $400 a year. Horgan also reiterated his party's support of freezing rents until the end of 2021. He accused the B.C. Liberals of giving tax breaks to the rich and says the NDP benefit would help those who need it most. The leaders o
dr-henry-being-awarded-an-honorary-degree-for-guiding-through-covid-19-crisis
BCOct 10, 2020

Dr. Henry being awarded an honorary degree for guiding through COVID-19 crisis

BC is reporting 119 new cases of COVID-19 but no new deaths. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says there are 1,406 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. 68 of those patients are being treated in hospital, including 19 in intensive care. In a statement, Dr. Henry continues to urge people to do all they can to ensure they have safe celebrations over the Thanksgiving long weekend. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry is being awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Royal Roads University in Victoria. The university says it will bestow the honour on what it describes as
vancouver-council-accepts-30-million-plan-to-house-help-those-without-shelter
BCOct 09, 2020

Vancouver council accepts $30 million plan to house, help, those without shelter

Vancouver city council has unanimously approved an emergency fund of up to $30 million to help hundreds of homeless residents.The money will be used to buy or lease vacant hotels, apartments and single-room occupancy buildings and to provide other services to support as many as 750 people who lack safe shelter.Many of the potential sites will need renovation, so council also approved plans for the immediate use of a city-owned motel and a hostel on Vancouver's west side.It's expected that residents of an unsanctioned encampment in Strathcona Park will begin moving to those sites soon.The deci
b-c-s-public-health-officer-urges-businesses-to-ensure-proper-measures-in-place
BCOct 09, 2020

B.C.'s public health officer urges businesses to ensure proper measures in place

British Columbia's provincial health officer is urging businesses to ensure they are in compliance with health and safety standards to protect employees from COVID-19. Dr. Bonnie Henry says public health teams would provide guidance if a worker contracts the illness but it's up to businesses to make it easy for anyone who is unwell to stay away. Dr. Henry says employees should be screened daily, tracked for where they're working and who they're with, and meet virtually as much as possible. She says businesses should contact WorkSafeBC with any concerns about what is expected of them and get g
feds-ontario-ante-up-millions-to-produce-electric-vehicles-at-fords-oakville-plant
CanadaOct 08, 2020

Feds, Ontario ante up millions to produce electric vehicles at Ford's Oakville plant

The federal and Ontario governments are each chipping in more than $250 million to mass produce electric vehicles and the batteries that power them at Ford Motor Co.'s plant in Oakville, Ont. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ontario Premier Doug Ford are to announce the joint investment today. It is part of a three-year agreement worth nearly $2 billion that was announced last month between the automaker and Unifor, the union that represents autoworkers in Canada.The Oakville plant employs 3,400 Ford workers and Unifor president Jerry Dias has said retooling the plant to produce electric veh

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees