20.56°C Vancouver

News

govt-to-hold-next-meet-with-farmers-on-dec-9-msp-to-continue-agriculture-minister-tomar
IndiaDec 05, 2020

India: Govt to hold next meet with farmers on Dec 9; MSP to continue: Tomar

After its fifth round of talks on Saturday with farmer group leaders remained inconclusive, the Centre announced another meeting on December 9. Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar today reassured the agitating farmers that central government is ready to resolve all their issues. He also said that the Minimum Support Price (MSP) system will continue and there is "no threat to it." Addressing a press conference after the meeting at Vigyan Bhawan, Tomar said: "We have said that the MSP will continue, there is no threat to it. It is baseless to doubt this. Still, if someone is suspicio
711-new-covid-19-cases-and-11-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCDec 05, 2020

711 new COVID-19 cases and 11 deaths reported in B.C.

British Columbia's top doctor and the health minister are urging the public to slow the spread of COVID-19 this weekend by limiting any festive gatherings to immediate households. Dr. Bonnie Henry and Adrian Dix say 711 new infections have been recorded in the province and 11 more people have died, for a total of 492 fatalities. British Columbia is recording 711 new cases, bringing the total number of active cases to 9,050. They say in a joint statement that B.C. is continuing to see a significant surge in community transmission so all public health orders must be followed as more than 36,000
pm-trudeau-refuses-to-comment-on-a-report-of-us-department-of-justice-appraching-meng-wanzhou-with-a-plea-deal-of-sorts
CanadaDec 04, 2020

PM Trudeau refuses to comment on a report of US Department of Justice approaching Meng Wanzhou with a plea deal of sorts 

The prime minister is not commenting on a Wall Street Journal report that the US Department of Justice has approached Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou with a plea deal of sorts. When pressed today, Justin Trudeau would only repeat what he has said in the past: that he is hopeful of winning the release of two Canadians caught up in the diplomatic standoff that started with Meng's arrest. Meng's 2018 arrest at Vancouver's airport at the behest of the US sparked the diplomatic standoff, and is widely believed to be behind China's decision days later to detain Canadians Michael Spavor and Michael Kov
pace-of-job-gains-slows-to-62-000-in-november-statistics-canada
CanadaDec 04, 2020

Pace of job gains slows to 62,000 in November, Statistics Canada

The rate of job growth continued to slow in November with the economy adding 62,000 jobs, down from 84,000 in October. The gains were mostly focused in full-time work with a gain of 99,000 jobs, offset somewhat by a decline in part-time work of 37,000 positions, Statistics Canada reported Friday. The average economist estimate had been for a gain of 20,000 jobs and an unchanged unemployment rate, according to financial data firm Refinitiv. The gains in November left the country 574,000 jobs short of recouping the approximately three million jobs lost from lockdowns in March and April that sen
694-new-covid-19-cases-and-12-deaths-reported-high-risk-seniors-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-first-in-b-c-dr-bonnie-henry
BCDec 04, 2020

694 new COVID-19 cases and 12 deaths reported; High-risk seniors to get COVID-19 vaccine first in B.C.: Dr. Bonnie Henry

BC is reporting 694 new cases of COVID-19, pushing the number of active cases past 9,000 for the first time. Provincial heath officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has also announced another 12 deaths, raising the total to 481. Dr. Henry says the province is continuing to make progress on Operation Immunize and hopes to begin the delivery of COVID-19 vaccines in the coming weeks. But she says there will only be limited amounts at first for those most at risk of severe illness and deaths. British Columbia's top doctor says seniors in long-term care homes and hospitals will be the first to get a vaccine ag
initial-supplies-of-vaccines-will-limit-vaccinations-to-three-million-people-dr-howard-njoo
CanadaDec 03, 2020

Initial supplies of vaccines will limit vaccinations to three million people: Dr. Howard Njoo

Deputy Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Howard Njoo says there is light at the end of the tunnel. Njoo says Health Canada is expected to approve COVID-19 vaccines for emergency use early in the new year, triggering one of the most ambitious vaccination programs in Canadian history. He says there will eventually be enough vaccine doses for every Canadian. The military is going to conduct a practice run on Monday to ensure the plan to distribute vaccines will work. News of the vaccine program comes as Ontario reported a near-record 1,824 new COVID-19 infections and Quebec reported 1,470 new case
ihit-called-to-investigate-homicide-in-newton
BCDec 03, 2020

IHIT called to investigate homicide in Newton

On December 3, 2020 just after 5:30 a.m., the Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a single vehicle collision in the alleyway of the 13700-block of 75A Avenue. A 30 year old female was located with critical injuries, suffering from an apparent gunshot wound. Despite all efforts by first responders, the woman succumbed to her injuries. Early information indicates a second vehicle was involved in this shooting and police are currently combing the area for any potential evidence, including video surveillance. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) will be investigating this occurrence
liberals-failure-to-be-transparent-on-vaccines-fuelling-anxiety-otoole
CanadaDec 03, 2020

Liberals' failure to be transparent on vaccines fuelling anxiety: O'Toole

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole says the Liberal government's failure to be transparent about plans to roll out the COVID-19 vaccine is fuelling anxiety among Canadians. O'Toole says a plan should help provide details about the vaccine candidates and educate Canadians on their research and approval. He says information is just as important a tool in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic as rapid tests. The Conservatives have a motion before the House of Commons today that calls on the Liberals to present specific details on their vaccine rollout strategy by Dec 16. Among other things, the T
834-new-covid-19-cases-and-12-deaths-reported-in-b-c-dr-henry-says-travel-and-social-gatherings-rules-could-be-extended
BCDec 03, 2020

834 new COVID-19 cases and 12 deaths reported in B.C.; Dr. Henry says travel and social gatherings rules could be extended

British Columbia's top doctor says COVID-19 cases have levelled off in the Fraser and Vancouver Coastal health regions, but they've been rising in the North, Interior and to a lesser extent on Vancouver Island. Dr. Bonnie Henry says there is some variability in how the illness is spreading in different areas, but social interactions are driving transmissions across the province. Dr. Henry says transmissions remain high and while health restrictions on travel and social gatherings are set to end Monday, it's possible the rules could be extended. Dr. Henry is also urging people to avoid travell

Just In

carney-eby-discuss-fast-tracking-major-projects-during-vancouver-meeting
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Carney, Eby discuss fast-tracking major projects during Vancouver meeting

Prime Minister Mark Carney and British Columbia Premier David Eby held a closed-door meeting in Vancouver on Wednesday, where both leaders discussed a new co-operation agreement aimed at accelerating development projects across the province. Following the meeting, Carney said closer collaboration between federal and provincial governments would help strengthen Canada’s economy and move major projects forward more quickly. He said governments can achieve more when they work together and added that economic growth remains a priority. Earlier in the day, the prime minister addressed a business
unions-raise-concerns-over-possible-changes-to-federal-labour-laws-in-canada
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Unions raise concerns over possible changes to federal labour laws in Canada

Several Canadian unions are raising concerns over potential changes to federal labour laws being considered by Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government, warning the move could limit workers’ right to strike. According to reports, the federal government circulated a discussion paper on April 17 seeking feedback from selected stakeholders, including representatives from the airline, port, railway, telecommunications and banking sectors. Union groups say they are concerned the government could expand the number of workplaces classified as “essential services,” a designation that can restri
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Czech snowboarder dies after fall into glacier crevasse in Jasper National Park

A 38-year-old man from the Czech Republic has died after falling into a crevasse on the Columbia Icefield in Alberta’s Jasper National Park, according to RCMP. Police said officers were called to the Columbia Icefield area on May 12 after reports that a snowboarder had fallen into a glacier crevasse while travelling with two friends. RCMP identified the victim as a Czech national who had been living in Revelstoke, B.C. Police said recovery efforts were complicated by the remote terrain and harsh environmental conditions, delaying immediate access to the body. The Columbia Icefield is a major
alberta-premier-danielle-smith-expected-to-announce-cabinet-shuffle
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith expected to announce cabinet shuffle

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to announce changes to her cabinet in Calgary on Thursday, with several high-profile portfolios potentially changing hands. Smith has not publicly confirmed which ministers may be moved, added, or removed from cabinet. According to previous public statements from the government, at least two major portfolios are vacant after Finance Minister Nate Horner and Hospitals Minister Matt Jones announced they will not seek re-election in 2027 and plan to step away from cabinet duties. Speculation has centred on Social Services Minister Jason Nixon as a possib
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Ontario investigating suspected Ebola case linked to East Africa travel

Ontario health officials say a patient who recently returned from East Africa has been hospitalized and tested for Ebola as a precautionary measure. A spokesperson for the Ontario Ministry of Health said the testing is being conducted under established medical protocols and “out of an abundance of caution.” Officials said there are currently no confirmed Ebola cases in the province. Public health authorities said infection-control measures have been implemented to reduce any potential risk of transmission. Officials also emphasized that Ebola does not spread easily through the air and said