19.32°C Vancouver

News

federal-government-needs-to-immediately-stop-admitting-flights-from-countries-like-india-and-brazil-erin-otoole
CanadaApr 22, 2021

Federal government needs to immediately stop admitting flights from countries like India and Brazil: Erin O'Toole

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole says the federal government needs to immediately stop admitting flights from COVID-19 "hot spot" countries like India and Brazil. He says the move would buy time to figure out a better plan for stopping variants of concern from getting into Canada. O'Toole doesn't have specifics for what he thinks should happen to beef up border protections beyond not allowing flights to land from certain countries. Health Canada says about one per cent of arriving passengers are testing positive but can't say how many have tested positive after 10 days. Bloc Quebecois Leader
judge-to-rule-on-criminal-responsibility-of-man-who-stabbed-two-b-c-students
BCApr 22, 2021

Judge to rule on criminal responsibility of man who stabbed two B.C. students

A British Columbia Supreme Court judge is expected to deliver her decision today over whether a man who stabbed two high school students is not criminally responsible because he had a mental disorder. Gabriel Klein was convicted last year for the murder of 13-year-old Letisha Reimer and the aggravated assault of her friend in the rotunda of Abbotsford Senior Secondary in 2016.Klein, who has schizophrenia, applied for a hearing over criminal responsibility as sentencing was set to begin in September and he later testified that he believed he was stabbing a witch and a monster.His lawyer has ar
862-new-covid-19-cases-and-7-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCApr 22, 2021

862 new COVID-19 cases and 7 deaths reported in B.C.

Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, have issued a joint statement regarding updates on the COVID-19 response in British Columbia. "Today, we are reporting 862 new cases, for a total of 121,751 cases in British Columbia. "There are 8,906 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, with 13,135 people under public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases. A further 111,039 people who tested positive have recovered. "Of the active cases, 483 individuals are currently hospitalized with COVID-19, 163 of whom are in intens
ontarios-government-is-pleading-with-ottawa-to-ban-travel-from-india-and-other-hot-spot-countries-dr-tam-says-federal-government-is-looking-into-flights-arriving-from-india
CanadaApr 21, 2021

Ontario's government is "pleading" with Ottawa to ban travel from India and other hot-spot countries; Dr. Tam says federal government is looking into flights arriving from India

Canada's top public health doctor says the federal government is looking into flights arriving from India amid reports that a massive surge of COVID-19 cases is ravaging that country. Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam says Ottawa has generally opted for measures that are not country-specific, such as a pre-boarding test for COVID-19, tests on arrival and government-mandated quarantine. But she says India could be a special case due to a "variant of interest" there that may be fuelling a massive outbreak of COVID-19. India recorded nearly 300,000 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday al
three-confidence-votes-to-determine-fate-of-minority-liberal-government
CanadaApr 21, 2021

Three confidence votes to determine fate of minority Liberal government

A pair of proposed changes to the federal budget put forward by opposition parties will determine whether the minority Liberal government will fall, which could trigger an election.The government says it has informed opposition parties that two votes in the House of Commons — on a Bloc Québécois sub-amendment today and on a Conservative amendment Thursday — are considered confidence votes.A third opportunity to pass judgment on the massive budget comes Monday, when the House votes on the main motion to approve the government's budget policy.Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal govern
849-new-covid-19-cases-reported-in-b-c-as-hospitalizations-break-new-record
BCApr 21, 2021

849 new COVID-19 cases reported in B.C. as hospitalizations break new record

Health officials are urging eligible British Columbians to register online for a vaccine in order to reduce growing pressure on health-care workers getting "pushed to the limits" at hospitals. Provincial health officer Doctor Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix say those aged 35 and up can now register for a vaccine as part of the province's age-based vaccination stream. Dix and Dr. Henry say 849 more people have become infected with COVID-19 and one more person has died for a total of 1,539 fatalities since the pandemic began. They say 456 people are in hospital and 148 of them are i
ex-cop-guilty-of-all-three-charges-of-murder-and-manslaughter-in-floyd-case
WorldApr 20, 2021

Ex-cop guilty of all three charges of murder and manslaughter in Floyd case

More than 3,000 National Guard soldiers, along with police officers, sheriffs deputies and other law enforcement personnel have flooded Minneapolis in the wake of a verdict in the trial of Derek Chauvin, the former police officer charged with murder in the death last year of George Floyd. The jury on Tuesday found Chauvin guilty on all charges: second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. But in the city that has come to epitomize America's debate over police killings, there remain places where Minneapolis can feel almost like a police state. Concret
drugs-and-guns-seized-as-part-of-targeted-gang-enforcement-in-surrey
BCApr 20, 2021

Drugs and guns seized as part of targeted gang enforcement in Surrey

Multiple firearms and pre-packaged drugs were recently seized by the Surrey Gang Enforcement Team (SGET) during a vehicle stop in Newton, as the Surrey RCMP continues to target individuals associated with gang and drug trafficking activity.Shortly after 11:30 p.m. on April 17, 2021, SGET conducted a traffic stop with a vehicle in the area of Woodland Place and 99 Avenue. During their interactions with the driver, the officer observed a weapon inside the vehicle and subsequently detained the driver for weapons possession.Further investigation of the vehicle led to the discovery and seizure of s
homicide-detectives-in-coquitlam-b-c-after-shooting-in-busy-recreational-area
BCApr 20, 2021

Homicide detectives in Coquitlam. B.C., after shooting in busy recreational area

One person has been shot and killed in an attack at a park in Coquitlam, B.C.The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says it happened at about 6:30 p.m. at the Town Centre skate park. It says the critically injured man died in hospital.The homicide team says no arrests have been made.The park was crowded with people enjoying a summer-like evening when the attack occurred.Police are asking anyone who witnessed the shooting and hasn't yet spoken with investigators to contact the homicide team or RCMP.

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees