18.82°C Vancouver

News

b-c-reports-521-covid-19-cases-and-8-deaths
BCMay 20, 2021

B.C. reports 521 COVID-19 cases and 8 deaths

The British Columbia government is preparing to vaccinate youth aged 12 to 17 and will roll out its plan shortly. Premier John Horgan is joining Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry for the COVID-19 news conference on Thursday. A joint statement Wednesday says young people can register to receive their vaccine online and details on how they will be vaccinated will come on Thursday. The statement also says anyone who was immunized before April 15, prior to the online system launching, will need to register because while the system has their vaccine informat
b-c-mounties-confirm-identity-of-two-brothers-killed-in-southern-interior
BCMay 19, 2021

B.C. Mounties confirm identity of two brothers killed in southern Interior

Two men found dead near a small community in British Columbia's southern Interior last week were brothers and police say they are hoping the public can help in solving the homicides.The RCMP say they are releasing the names of 29-year-old Erick Fryer and 31-year-old Carlos Fryer in an effort to help their investigation.They say the bodies of the two men from Kamloops, B.C., were found by a couple walking in a remote area around Naramata Creek north of Penticton. Investigators believe the "unexpected deaths" were isolated and not a random act.Police say they have not uncovered any information
b-c-reports-2-deaths-and-411-new-covid-19-cases
BCMay 19, 2021

B.C. reports 2 deaths and 411 new COVID-19 cases

British Columbia health officials say second doses of COVID-19 vaccines may be given sooner than previously expected. The province says officials are closely monitoring the supply of vaccines and more information will be released in early June. In a statement, the province says with a large and steady vaccine supply after most people have had their first jab, officials will be able to consider how they might be able to accelerate the delivery of second shots. The province implemented a four-month gap between doses in order to get more people vaccinated with their first shot. B.C. reported 411
b-c-anti-gang-police-agency-issues-public-warning-about-11-people
BCMay 18, 2021

B.C. anti-gang police agency issues public warning about 11 people

For the second time in two days, a police agency in British Columbia has issued a public safety warning about potential gang violence. The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit named 11 men ranging in age from 21 to 40 who are allegedly connected to an ongoing spike in gang conflict and violence in the province's Lower Mainland. Manny Mann, the chief officer of the special enforcement unit, says the warning follows a similar decision by the Vancouver Police Department on Monday to publicly name six alleged gang members. Three of the men listed in the warning by the anti-gang unit were also
CanadaMay 18, 2021

Canada set to receive largest weekly shipment to date: PM Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada is receiving 4.5 million vaccine doses this week, including a shipment from Pfizer-BioNTech that has been moved up ahead of the holiday weekend. He says it is the largest weekly shipment to date, and it will help keep Canada within the top of the G20 on daily vaccinations, where he says it has been for over two weeks. Trudeau also says Canada will receive 9 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine in July. That means that between now and at least the end of July, Canada will continue to get over two million Pfizer doses a week. Prime Minister Just
former-liberal-minister-seeks-party-leadership-after-almost-decade-away-from-politics
BCMay 18, 2021

Former Liberal minister seeks party leadership after almost decade away from politics

A former British Columbia government cabinet minister who left politics almost a decade ago to work in the private sector says he's entering the Liberal party's leadership contest.Kevin Falcon announced his leadership bid Monday, saying he wants to rebuild, renew and rename B.C.'s Liberal Party, which has lost its way since the 2017 election.Falcon is the third candidate to enter the Feb. 5, 2022 leadership race, joining Ellis Ross, the Liberal member of the legislature for Skeena, and Gavin Dew, a Vancouver entrepreneur and former Liberal byelection candidate. Liberal transportation critic M
1-360-new-covid-19-cases-and-14-deaths-reported-over-the-weekend-in-b-c
BCMay 18, 2021

1,360 new COVID-19 cases and 14 deaths reported over the weekend in B.C.

Health officials are reporting 1,360 new cases of COVID-19 over the past three days for an average of 453 each day. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says 14 more people have died, pushing the death toll in BC to 1,648. There are 350 people in hospital with COVID-19, including 132 in intensive care. Dr. Henry says more than 55 per cent of eligible people aged 18 and up have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine and all remaining adults need to book appointments as soon as possible. British Columbia's provincial health officer says those who received the first dose of the Ox
vancouver-mayor-police-apologize-to-retired-b-c-judge-for-wrongful-detainment
CanadaMay 17, 2021

Vancouver mayor, police apologize to retired B.C. judge for wrongful detainment

The mayor of Vancouver says he is "appalled" that police officers wrongfully detained and handcuffed a retired British Columbia Supreme Court justice out for a walk on Friday morning.Kennedy Stewart says in a statement he reached out to apologize to Justice Selwyn Romilly, the first Black person appointed to the court.Vancouver Police Sgt. Steve Addison says officers were dispatched around 9:15 a.m. following reports of a man kicking, punching and spitting at people along the seawall near English Bay.He says officers patrolling the area noticed a man resembling the description of the suspect
b-c-reports-lowest-increase-of-covid-19-cases-since-mid-march
BCMay 15, 2021

B.C. reports lowest increase of COVID-19 cases since mid March

All British Columbia residents over 25 years old can now book their COVID-19 vaccine, while those 18 and older will be able to do so by the end of the weekend, as the province speeds up its vaccine rollout. Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry say in a joint statement that it's clear vaccines are working, and more people registering will help protect the wider community. B.C. reported 494 new cases of COVID-19 Friday, for a total of 138,304 since the pandemic first began. There were also two new deaths, bringing the toll to 1,634. Dix and Henry say more th

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees