17.52°C Vancouver

News

annamie-paul-is-firing-back-against-the-party-executives-says-efforts-to-remove-her-from-post-racist-and-sexist
CanadaJun 16, 2021

Annamie Paul is firing back against the party executives, says efforts to remove her from post "racist" and "sexist"

Annamie Paul is firing back against the party executives who sought to oust her as Green party leader, calling them out for ``racist'' and ``sexist'' accusations. Her fiery response today comes after she survived a move to push her out last night. Paul says respect for diversity is a Green value but the change she represents can be perceived as a threat to existing gatekeepers. The Canadian Press has obtained a scathing letter that accompanied a non-confidence motion signed by six of 15 federal council members. It accuses Paul of acting with an ``autocratic attitude of hostility,'' attending f
annual-inflation-rate-climbs-to-3-6-per-cent-in-may
CanadaJun 16, 2021

Annual inflation rate climbs to 3.6 per cent in May

Statistics Canada says the consumer price index in May was up 3.6 per cent compared with a year ago, its largest yearly increase since May 2011. The reading for May compared with a year-over-year gain of 3.4 per cent in April, which at the time was the fast annual rate in nearly a decade.Part of the rise in the headline inflation barometer is due to comparing prices to the low levels seen last year at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, such as for gasoline, furniture and beef products.Excluding gasoline, the consumer price index in May was up 2.5 per cent compared with a year ago.However, Sta
b-c-reports-no-new-covid-19-deaths-as-it-begins-second-step-of-reopening-plan
BCJun 16, 2021

B.C. reports no new COVID-19 deaths as it begins second step of reopening plan

British Columbia health officials are reporting 108 new cases of COVID-19 as the province begins step two of its reopening plan. They say in a statement B.C. has 1,496 active cases and 143,299 people have recovered from the infection. There have been no new deaths and the total number of fatalities is 1,734. Officials say more than 76 per cent of eligible adults have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine, while 657,491 have had their second shot. Step two of the reopening plan means indoor seated gatherings with up to 50 people are permitted at venues such as movie theatres and banque
trudeau-visits-pfizer-on-final-day-of-international-trip
CanadaJun 15, 2021

Trudeau visits Pfizer on final day of international trip

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau spent his last day in Europe thanking leaders and local workers for getting COVID-19 vaccines to Canada.Trudeau visited the Pfizer-BioNTech manufacturing facility in Puurs, Belgium, where Canada's vaccine supply was produced until the United States started shipping doses early last month.His main message to those at the plant was ``Thank you.''Trudeau repeated it multiple times to workers during a brief walking tour of the facility, as well as to Pfizer's managing director.He listened as officials showed the deep freezers where vaccines are stored, then walked up
b-c-reports-lowest-daily-rate-since-last-august-277-covid-19-cases-reported-over-the-weekend
BCJun 15, 2021

B.C. reports lowest daily rate since last August; 277 COVID-19 cases reported over the weekend

BC is reporting 68 new cases of COVID-19, the lowest daily rate since last August, as the province prepares to enter the second stage of its restart plan tomorrow. The new cases announced are among 277 diagnosed since Friday for a total of one-thousand-537 active infections, including 136 people who are in hospital. Another four people have died, pushing the death toll in BC to 1,734. Just over 74 per cent of all eligible residents aged 12 and up have now had at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine out of more than four million shots administered overall. Health Minister Adrian Dix and provinci
BCJun 14, 2021

British Columbians can hit the road again; Cinema halls and outdoor gatherings allowed in certain numbers

British Columbians can hit the road again, Premier John Horgan says restrictions are being lifted on travel within the province. Horgan announced the change as he, provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and several cabinet ministers confirmed BC is moving to Step Two of its restart plan. That means non-essential travel within the province is allowed, but travel elsewhere in Canada is still not recommended. Starting tomorrow groups of up to 50 can gather outdoors, movie theatres can re-open and sports fans can watch events in person, while masks remain mandatory in indoor public places. Ba
terror-charges-laid-against-london-attack-suspect
CanadaJun 14, 2021

Terror charges laid against London attack suspect

Prosecutors have laid terrorism charges against a man accused of driving down and killing four members of a Muslim family in London, Ont.The Crown says Nathaniel Veltman's four counts of first-degree murder constitute an act of terrorism and prosecutors have upgraded those charges under section 83 of the Criminal Code.Veltman also faces one count of attempted murder due to terrorism activity.The upgraded charges were laid as Veltman made a brief court appearance via video this morning.Salman Afzaal, 46, his 44-year-old wife Madiha Salman, their 15-year-old daughter Yumna and her 74-year-old g
b-c-reports-180-new-covid-19-cases-and-1-death-province-crosses-the-75-mark-for-1st-dose-of-vaccinations-administered
BCJun 11, 2021

B.C. reports 180 new COVID-19 cases and 1 death; province crosses the 75% mark for 1st dose of vaccinations administered

Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, have issued a joint statement regarding updates on the COVID-19 response in British Columbia:"Today, we are reporting that 75.1% of all adults in B.C. and 73.1% of those 12 and older have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine. In total, 3,893,581 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 497,932 of which are second doses."We have had 180 new cases of COVID-19, including five epi-linked cases, for a total of 146,176 cases in British Columb
victorias-canada-day-event-scrapped-in-wake-of-residential-school-discovery
CanadaJun 11, 2021

Victoria's Canada Day event scrapped in wake of residential school discovery

City councillors in Victoria have voted unanimously to cancel a planned Canada Day broadcast in order to permit a ``thoughtful reflection'' of what it means to be Canadian.A statement from the City of Victoria says council voted to scrap the virtual celebration following the discovery of what are believed to be the remains of 215 former students buried in unmarked graves on the site of the now-closed Kamloops Indian Residential School.The city says it will be guided by members of the local First Nation and will replace the broadcast with one that features Indigenous artists. The updated broad

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to