20.31°C Vancouver

News

highway-99-will-remain-closed-today
BCDec 02, 2021

Highway 99 will remain closed today

Highway 99 will remain closed today, Thursday, Dec. 2, between Pemberton and Lillooet, as crews prepare to clear the highway following recent slides.The highway was closed Wednesday evening due to a mudslide. Another larger debris flow occurred overnight in the closure area near Duffey Lake, depositing a significant amount of material across the highway.No drivers were affected by the first slide, after which the highway was pre-emptively closed. The second, larger slide occurred after this.Because of what is in the debris flow and how much there is, cleanup will be challenging. Geotechnical a
b-c-reports-375-new-covid-19-cases-and-7-deaths
BCDec 02, 2021

B.C. reports 375 new COVID-19 cases and 7 deaths

B.C. is reporting 375 new cases of COVID-19, including no epi-linked cases, for a total of 218,801 cases in the province.There are 2,936 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 213,394 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 301 individuals are in hospital and 98 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the past 24 hours, seven new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,340.The new deaths include:Fraser Health: threeIsland Health: threeVancouver Coastal Health: one From Nov. 23-29, people not fully vacci
bill-to-ban-conversion-therapy-clears-house-of-commons
CanadaDec 01, 2021

Bill to ban conversion therapy clears House of Commons

A government bill seeking to ban conversion therapy has cleared the House of Commons and is on its way to the Senate. Bill C-4 was fast-tracked through the legislative stages in the House of Commons with the unanimous consent of all MPs after Conservative Rob Moore introduced a motion to do so. Erin O'Toole had been set to once again allow his caucus to have a free vote on the bill, but also pledged that his MPs would work to get it passed quickly. The so-called therapy is widely discredited as a harmful practice, aimed at trying to change an individual's sexual orientation or gender identity
b-c-identifies-first-covid-19-omicron-variant-while-204-others-are-being-tested
BCNov 30, 2021

B.C. identifies first COVID-19 Omicron variant while 204 others are being tested

British Columbia has become the fourth province to identify its first case of the COVID-19 Omicron variant. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says the affected person recently returned from Nigeria and lives in an area covered by the Fraser Health authority. Dr. Henry says 204 people who recently returned from parts of southern African with outbreaks of the variant are undergoing testing while in quarantine. The federal government has announced that all air travellers, except those coming from the United States, will now be tested for COVID-19 when they arrive at Canadian airports, r
canada-may-need-to-do-more-at-the-border-to-protect-against-the-omicron-variant-of-covid-19-pm-trudeau
CanadaNov 30, 2021

Canada may need to do more at the border to protect against the Omicron variant of COVID-19: PM Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canada may need to do more at the border to protect against the Omicron variant of COVID-19 coming to Canada. The government has already banned foreign nationals who have recently travelled to several southern African countries. Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino told reporters public health advice will guide their actions.The World Health Organization warned against the potentially dangerous impact of the Omicron variant again today, though there are still many questions about its transmissibility and the severity of illness it causes.
ontario-reports-two-more-cases-on-omicron-variant-of-covid-19-taking-canadas-total-cases-to-5
CanadaNov 30, 2021

Ontario reports two more cases on Omicron variant of COVID-19 taking Canada's total cases to 5

Ontario has reported two more cases of the Omicron variant of COVID-19 virus. Ontario had earlier reported Canada's first two cases of the Omicron variant of concern on the weekend. The total number of cases detected in Ontario has now reached 4. The province said today the two infected people were recently in Nigeria and were tested for the virus in Montreal before travelling on to Ottawa. Quebec health officials have also confirmed a case of the Omicron variant of COVID-19. Health Minister Christian Dubé made the announcement today at a news conference. Dubé says 115 people who recently tr
third-case-of-omicron-variant-of-covid-19-confirmed-in-canada
CanadaNov 29, 2021

Third case of Omicron variant of COVID-19 confirmed in Canada

Quebec health officials have confirmed a case of the Omicron variant of COVID-19. Health Minister Christian Dubé made the announcement today at a news conference. Dubé says 115 people who recently travelled to the province, principally from countries in southern Africa, have been asked to take a PCR test and to isolate. Ontario reported Canada's first two cases of the Omicron variant of concern on the weekend. The province said today the two infected people were recently in Nigeria and were tested for the virus in Montreal before travelling on to Ottawa.
we-support-the-measures-taken-today-by-the-federal-government-in-response-to-the-newly-identified-variant-of-concern-omicron-dr-bonnie-henry
BCNov 27, 2021

We support the measures taken today by the federal government in response to the newly identified variant of concern, Omicron: Dr. Bonnie Henry

Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, have issued the following statement regarding a new variant of concern (VOC), Omicron:"We support the measures taken today by the federal government in response to the newly identified variant of concern, Omicron. We do not yet know the impact this new VOC will have on transmission or of severity of illness, but taking this immediate precautionary action is prudent. We will continue to closely monitor developments around the world."At this time, there is no evidence that this variant has been introduced i
b-c-reports-424-new-coid-19-cases-and-3-deaths
BCNov 26, 2021

B.C. reports 424 new COID-19 cases and 3 deaths

B.C. is reporting 424 new cases of COVID-19, including one epi-linked case, for a total of 216,758 cases in the province.There are currently 3,061 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 211,202 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 295 individuals are in hospital and 112 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the past 24 hours, three new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,316.The new deaths include:Fraser Health: twoInterior Health: oneThere have been two new health-care facility outbreaks at Ri

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees