15.49°C Vancouver

News

b-c-reports-379-new-covid-19-cases-and-6-deaths
BCDec 09, 2021

B.C. reports 379 new COVID-19 cases and 6 deaths

B.C. is reporting 379 new cases of COVID-19, for a total of 221,235 cases in the province.There are 2,874 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 215,884 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 224 individuals are currently in hospital and 77 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the past 24 hours, six new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,369.The new deaths include:Fraser Health: twoNorthern Health: oneIsland Health: threeThere have been no new health-care facility outbreaks, for a total of five
canada-joins-us-and-allies-in-beijing-olympics-boycott
CanadaDec 08, 2021

Canada joins US and allies in Beijing Olympics boycott

Canada is joining the United States, the United Kingdon and Australia in a diplomatic boycott of the Beijing Winter Olympics over human rights concerns. The announcement came after the White House, the Australian government and the UK government confirmed diplomatic boycotts of the Winter Olympics in February to protest Chinese human rights abuses. China has vowed to react with ``firm countermeasures.'' Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his government has been talks with allies about it in recent months. The diplomatic moves by Canada, the U.S., Britain and Australia do not affect t
b-c-has-now-confirmed-5-cases-of-the-omicron-covid-19-variant
BCDec 08, 2021

B.C. has now confirmed 5 cases of the Omicron COVID-19 variant

There are now five cases of the Omicron COVID-19 variant confirmed in British Columbia. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says three of those who tested positive for the variant are fully vaccinated and two are unvaccinated, while all have mild or asymptomatic symptoms. She says the people range in age from 18 to 60 and all had been travelled to places like Nigeria and Egypt. Dr. Henry says the first case, which was confirmed on November 30th, involved someone who returned to BC before on-arrival testing was introduced at airports, and that person was tested later. She says more case
missing-21-year-old-anmol-jagat-found-deceased
BCDec 07, 2021

Missing 21 year old Anmol Jagat found deceased

Delta police have posted a tweet and given information about a missing man who has been located deceased. Delta police posted a tweet: We have sad news to share. Unfortunately 21-year-old missing man Anmol JAGAT has been located deceased. Our thoughts are with his family and his loved ones. His death is not considered suspicious. Anmol Jagat was last seen on Oct. 24th He was last captured on video at 12:42 am, October 24 walking northbound in the 8100 block of 112A in North Delta. He was believed to have headed northbound on 112th after this. Any individuals or businesses with CCTV or dashcam
b-c-reports-946-new-covid-19-cases-and-11-deaths
BCDec 07, 2021

B.C. reports 946 new COVID-19 cases and 11 deaths

Over a three-day period, B.C. is reporting 946 new cases of COVID-19, including 15 new epi-linked cases, for a total of 220,530 cases in the province:Dec. 3-4: 351 new casesDec. 4-5: 311 new casesDec. 5-6: 284 new casesThere are currently 2,876 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 215,190 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 241 individuals are currently in hospital and 89 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the past 72 hours, 11 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,362.The new deaths in
delta-variant-more-a-concern-than-omicron-b-c-health-minister
BCDec 06, 2021

Delta variant more a concern than Omicron: B.C. health minister

British Columbia's health minister says he isn't as worried about the newest COVID-19 variant, Omicron, because the focus needs to stay on the Delta variant, which is having a ``profound impact'' on the province. Adrian Dix says the Delta variant is disproportionately affecting those who haven't been vaccinated, citing more than 150 people, most of them unvaccinated, who have been moved from the Northern Health authority to southern hospitals. He says the transfers are weighing down the health-care system because most of those people are in critical condition and require teams of health-care
b-c-reports-405-new-covid-19-cases-and-6-deaths
BCDec 04, 2021

B.C. reports 405 new COVID-19 cases and 6 deaths

B.C. is reporting 405 new cases of COVID-19, including five new epi-linked cases, for a total of 219,584 cases in the province.There are currently 3,071 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 214,047 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 276 individuals are currently in hospital and 95 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the past 24 hours, six new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,351.The new deaths include:Fraser Health: threeIsland Health: twoVancouver Coastal Health: oneThere is one new h
rcmp-say-rocks-thrown-from-overpass-in-surrey-b-c-damaging-vehicles
BCDec 03, 2021

RCMP say rocks thrown from overpass in Surrey, B.C., damaging vehicles

The RCMP say there have been several dangerous incidents recently where rocks have been thrown from an overpass on Highway 99 in south Surrey, B.C. The Mounties say the rocks were thrown from a pedestrian overpass between the 32nd Avenue and King George Boulevard exits and have struck vehicles, but no one has been injured. Vehicles that have been damaged include a bus, and police say in one incident, a rock the size of a baseball was found. The first of the three incidents happened on the evening of Nov. 26 when a semi-truck and the bus were damaged. The next one happened at night three days
b-c-reports-368-new-covid-19-cases-and-5-deaths
BCDec 03, 2021

B.C. reports 368 new COVID-19 cases and 5 deaths

B.C. is reporting 368 new cases of COVID-19, including one new epi-linked case, for a total of 219,180 cases in the province.There are currently 3,020 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 213,694 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 284 individuals are in hospital and 97 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.In the past 24 hours, five new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,345.The new deaths include:Fraser Health: threeNorthern Health: twoFrom Nov. 24-30, people not fully vaccinated accounted fo

Just In

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in