24.97°C Vancouver

News

canadian-prime-minister-mark-carney-begins-four-day-india-visit-focused-on-trade-and-economic-ties
CanadaFeb 27, 2026

Prime Minister Mark Carney begins India visit focused on trade, investment, and rebuilding ties

Prime Minister Mark Carney has begun a visit to India as part of a broader Indo-Pacific trip aimed at expanding Canada’s trade and investment partnerships. In a statement issued ahead of the trip, the Prime Minister’s Office said Carney will travel to India, Australia and Japan from Feb. 26 to March 7, 2026 to deepen partnerships across sectors including trade, energy, technology and defence.India’s Ministry of External Affairs published the official schedule for the visit, stating Carney arrives in Mumbai on Feb. 27 and then travels to New Delhi on March 1, with delegation-level talks
public-safety-minister-says-more-safeguards-needed-against-alleged-foreign-interference-linked-to-india
CanadaFeb 26, 2026

Public Safety Minister says more safeguards needed against alleged foreign interference linked to India

Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree says Canada still has work ahead to ensure individuals acting on behalf of India are not intimidating or coercing people on Canadian soil. Speaking to reporters during Mark Carney’s visit to India, Anandasangaree said there remain unresolved concerns related to the safety and security of Canadians. His comments follow questions about whether agents connected to the Indian government are currently involved in extortion or threats of violence in Canada. A senior federal official, speaking on background during the same briefing, said Ottawa believes su
prime-minister-mark-carney-begins-10-day-indo-pacific-tour-with-first-official-visit-to-india
CanadaFeb 26, 2026

Prime Minister Mark Carney begins 10 day Indo Pacific tour with first official visit to India

Prime Minister Mark Carney is departing today on a 10 day tour of the Indo Pacific region, beginning with his first official visit to India since taking office. He is expected to arrive in Mumbai on Thursday as part of efforts to rebuild diplomatic and trade ties between the two countries. Senior federal officials signalled ahead of the visit that Canada no longer views India as being involved in foreign interference or violent incidents within Canada. The shift is being described in Ottawa as a significant diplomatic reset following a period of strained relations between the two governments.
federal-ministers-signal-possible-ai-safety-reforms-after-openai-handling-of-b-c-shooting-case
CanadaFeb 25, 2026

Federal ministers signal possible AI safety reforms after OpenAI handling of B.C. shooting case

Federal ministers say Ottawa is prepared to consider new safeguards around artificial intelligence tools following questions about how OpenAI handled warning signs linked to a deadly shooting in Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia. The issue has drawn national attention after reports revealed that the accused shooter, Jesse Van Rootselaar, had been removed from OpenAI’s ChatGPT platform months before the February 10 killings. According to reporting first published by The Wall Street Journal, the account was shut down over troubling posts that referenced violent scenarios, including gun use. Howe
canada-pledges-8-million-in-food-aid-for-cuba-as-u-s-fuel-blockade-continues
CanadaFeb 25, 2026

Canada pledges $8 million in food aid for Cuba as U.S. fuel blockade continues

The Government of Canada has announced an $8 million food assistance package for people in Cuba in response to mounting shortages of basic goods aggravated by a tightened U.S. oil blockade, federal officials said Wednesday. Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand and Secretary of State for International Development Randeep Sarai said the funding is intended to help address urgent needs for food and nutrition among vulnerable communities on the Caribbean island. The aid will be delivered through United Nations partners, including the World Food Programme and UNICEF, rather than through the Cuban
u-s-signals-no-full-tariff-relief-for-canada-in-future-trade-talks
CanadaFeb 25, 2026

U.S. signals no full tariff relief for Canada in future trade talks

The United States is signalling that Canada should not expect full relief from American tariffs in any future trade agreement, according to comments from President Donald Trump’s chief trade representative following the State of the Union address. Speaking to reporters on Capitol Hill after President Donald Trump’s speech Tuesday night, U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said any new trade arrangement with Canada would likely include tariff measures. He indicated that even a renewal of the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement may not guarantee a fully tariff-free framework. Greer su
first-ever-punjabi-broadcast-of-vancouver-whitecaps-game
BCFeb 24, 2026

First ever Punjabi broadcast of Vancouver Whitecaps game

Last Saturday, on International Mother Language Day, Punjabi (speaking and understanding) audience for the first time, got to hear commentary of a Major League Soccer match in Punjabi. Connect 91.5 FM aired the Vancouver Whitecaps game live in Punjabi. In addition to the game, there was a pre-game show and a post-game show. On this historic occasion, the commentary was handled by Connect FM's News Director Parvez Sandhu, and young commentators Jagraj Lali and Shubham Arora. This Punjabi commentary partnership between Connect FM and the Whitecaps was not limited to a single match, but rather th
carney-announces-2b-in-military-aid-for-ukraine-expands-sanctions-on-russian-vessels
CanadaFeb 24, 2026

Carney announces $2B in military aid for Ukraine, expands sanctions on Russian vessels

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada will provide $2 billion in additional military assistance to Ukraine and impose new sanctions targeting vessels linked to Russia’s oil trade, as Kyiv marks four years since Moscow launched its full-scale invasion. Speaking on the anniversary of Russia’s 2022 attack, Carney said the funding will support Ukraine’s defence efforts as the war continues. He also announced sanctions against 100 ships described as part of a so-called “shadow fleet” used to transport Russian oil in ways intended to bypass existing international sanctions. Canada has bee
canada-weighs-assistance-for-cuba-amid-escalating-u-s-oil-sanctions
CanadaFeb 24, 2026

Canada Weighs Assistance for Cuba Amid Escalating U.S. Oil Sanctions

Canada’s federal government says it is preparing a plan to assist Cuba as the island nation faces mounting energy shortages linked to renewed U.S. oil sanctions. Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand confirmed Ottawa is developing options to provide support but did not outline what form the assistance might take. Her comments come as Cuba grapples with prolonged power outages and rising food prices following U.S. measures aimed at restricting oil supplies from Venezuela and other sources. The sanctions were imposed under the administration of former U.S. president Donald Trump, which tightene

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees