-0.67°C Vancouver

News

ontarians-18-can-get-boosters-monday-shorter-dose-interval
CanadaDec 16, 2021

Ontarians 18+ can get boosters Monday, shorter dose interval

Ontario is expanding COVID-19 vaccine booster eligibility to all adults, provided it's been three months since they got their second dose. Residents 18 and over will be able to book their vaccines starting Monday, and Premier Doug Ford says the new push will require all hands on deck. Booster appointments opened up for Ontarians 50 and older just two days ago, and Ford is urging them to book immediately, because they're most at risk of serious illness from the Omicron variant. Ontario Premier Doug Ford has introduced a slate of new measures meant to curb the spread of the highly contagious Omi
CanadaDec 15, 2021

Don't travel internationally for non-essential reasons, government says

The government now advises against all non-essential international travel in the face of the rapidly spreading Omicron variant of COVID-19. Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos made the announcement Wednesday, following a Tuesday evening meeting between premiers and the prime minister. The health minister says the highly transmissible variant is now spreading in Canadian communities, and just about anywhere else in the world. Ottawa agreed to send shipments of booster doses and rapid tests to provinces and territories to quickly ramp up vaccination campaigns to combat the virus at home. Minister
ontario-quebec-covid-19-cases-rise-as-provinces-consider-omicron-health-measures
CanadaDec 15, 2021

Ontario, Quebec COVID-19 cases rise as provinces consider Omicron health measures

Ontario and Quebec are reporting a jump in COVID-19 infections as the rapidly spreading Omicron variant of concern prompts varied public health responses across Canada. There are 1,808 new cases of COVID-19 in Ontario and 2,386 in Quebec. Alberta Premier Jason Kenney announced an expansion to COVID-19 booster shot coverage and rapid testing, while also loosening gathering restrictions. Private indoor gatherings are still limited to 10 people but can now include more than two different households regardless of whether people are vaccinated or not. Rapid test kits are to be made available to al
CanadaDec 15, 2021

PM urges caution before Christmas as government mulls Omicron measures

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says people will have to be careful as they finalize their Christmas plans this year, now that the highly transmissible Omicron variant is spreading through Canada.The warning comes the morning after Trudeau met with his provincial and territorial counterparts to discuss potential measures to dampen the impact of the new variant. On the table were several options to limit international travel.When the threat of Omicron emerged late last month the government issued a travel advisory, urging Canadians to be aware that travel to an area with Omicron could hamper thei
highlights-from-finance-minister-chrystia-freelands-fall-economic-statement
CanadaDec 14, 2021

Highlights from Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland's fall economic statement

Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland released a fall economic statement today that outlined a better-than-expected economic rebound, but also billions more in spending, including on the response to the Omicron variant of COVID-19. Here are some other measures outlined in the fiscal update: Immigration backlogs - The federal government plans to put $85 million into plowing through massive backlogs in processing immigration applications starting in fiscal 2022-23. The government acknowledged the pandemic dramatically slowed down the pace of processing immigration applications, and many resources
CanadaDec 14, 2021

Discovery of unmarked graves selected as Canada's news story of the year: CP poll

The Canadian Press News Story of the Year is the discovery of unmarked graves at a former residential school in British Columbia's Interior.It came ahead of Canada's COVID-19 vaccine rollout and stories about climate change and severe weather in B-C in the annual survey of editors at media outlets across the country.The story broke in May when the Tk'emlups te Secwepemc Nation in Kamloops announced ground-penetrating radar found what were believed to be the remains of up to 215 children.
pandemic-has-been-a-wake-up-call-about-the-need-for-public-health-renewal-dr-theresa-tam
CanadaDec 13, 2021

Pandemic has been a wake-up call about the need for public health renewal: Dr. Theresa Tam

Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam's annual report says the pandemic has been a wake-up call about the need for public health renewal. She's urging the federal government to transform the public health system so it is better equipped to handle both present and future health threats. Dr. Tam is warning the government it should not scale back public health funding once the emergency has passed, leaving it vulnerable at the start of the next crisis. Canada's top doctor says community transmission of the Omicron variant of COVID-19 is already happening. Dr. Theresa Tam says the highly co
CanadaDec 13, 2021

Defence minister apologizes to sexual misconduct victims, says Ottawa has long failed to protect those who signed up to protect the country

Defence Minister Anita Anand says Ottawa has long failed to protect those who signed up to protect the country. She made a formal apology today to victims of military sexual misconduct on behalf of the federal government, and also apologized the government didn't put the right systems in place to ensure justice and accountability for victims. Her apology, and those made by chief of the defence staff General Wayne Eyre and Defence Department deputy minister Jody Thomas form a key part of the federal government's 600 million dollar settlement in several overlapping class-action lawsuits. Defence
CanadaDec 13, 2021

Hundreds of Ontarians without power after weekend wind storm.

Nearly 80,000 Ontarians remain without power on Sunday evening after high winds brought down trees and power lines across the southern part of the province on Saturday night. Ontario utility Hydro One said crews are still working to restore power after Saturday's wind storm left about 490,000 customers in the dark. "Our crews are in position and responding to significant power outages caused by Ontario's worst storm in recent years," said David Lebeter, Hydro One's chief operating officer.

Just In

b-c-commits-50-million-to-expand-nasal-naloxone-access-amid-ongoing-overdose-crisis
BCFeb 19, 2026

B.C. commits $50 million to expand nasal naloxone access amid ongoing overdose crisis

The British Columbia government says it will invest $50 million over the next two years to increase access to nasal naloxone kits as part of its response to the province’s ongoing overdose emergency. Health Minister Josie Osborne said the funding will allow nasal naloxone to account for roughly half of the more than 400,000 take home naloxone kits distributed each year in B.C. The province first declared the toxic drug crisis a public health emergency in April 2016, and officials say it continues to have widespread impacts on families and communities. According to the Health Ministry, inject
trump-sets-10-day-deadline-for-iran-nuclear-deal-after-second-round-of-talks
WorldFeb 19, 2026

Trump sets 10 day deadline for Iran nuclear deal after second round of talks

The second round of negotiations between the United States and Iran over Tehran’s nuclear program has concluded, with U.S. President Donald Trump warning that Iran has 10 days to reach an agreement or face possible military consequences. Speaking after the talks, Trump said Washington expects a clear commitment from Tehran to curb its nuclear activities. He cautioned that failure to reach a deal within the set timeframe could result in military action, escalating tensions in an already volatile region. Meanwhile, Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi described the discussions held in Gene
AlbertaFeb 19, 2026

Calgary man charged in 2024 extortion case involving threats against woman

A 37-year-old Calgary man is facing multiple extortion charges following an investigation into a series of threats reported by a woman in the city’s northeast. The investigation began in September 2025 when the woman contacted police to report repeated attempts throughout 2024 to force her to hand over money and valuables. According to police, the incidents occurred between August and October 2024, during which the suspects allegedly demanded payment and threatened violence if she refused. Authorities say the individuals involved were known to the victim. In December 2025, investigators laun
canada-falls-to-afghanistan-by-82-runs-in-final-league-match-of-icc-mens-t20-world-cup
CanadaFeb 19, 2026

Canada falls to Afghanistan by 82 runs in final league match of ICC Men’s T20 World Cup

Canada’s campaign at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup ended with an 82 run defeat against Afghanistan in their final league stage match in Chennai. Chasing a challenging target of 201, the Canadian side struggled to build partnerships and finished on 118 for eight in 20 overs. Afghanistan set the tone after opting to bat, posting 200 for four in their allotted overs. Ibrahim Zadran, who was named player of the match, anchored the innings with an unbeaten 95 off 56 balls, including seven fours and five sixes. It marked the highest individual score by an Afghan batter in this edition of the tourn
chandigarh-police-files-cancellation-report-in-case-against-pargat-singh-14-congress-leaders
IndiaFeb 19, 2026

Chandigarh Police files cancellation report in case against Pargat Singh, 14 Congress leaders

Chandigarh Police has filed a cancellation report in a case registered against Punjab Congress MLA Pargat Singh and 14 other party leaders in connection with a protest held outside the official residence of the Haryana Chief Minister two years ago. The FIR was registered on February 20, 2024, at Sector 3 police station. The case included allegations of assault and obstructing police personnel from carrying out their official duties during the demonstration. According to police records, the Congress leaders had gathered to condemn the alleged use of force against farmers protesting at the Punja