18.82°C Vancouver

News

no-foreign-interference-report-more-than-one-year-after-liberal-government-re-elected
CanadaFeb 23, 2023

No foreign interference report more than one year after Liberal government re-elected

A panel tasked with flagging incidents of foreign interference in Canada's elections has still not released a report evaluating its own work in the 2021 election, more than a year after the Liberals won a second minority government.The Critical Election Incident Public Protocol was created to monitor and report on threats to the 2019 election with a mandate to continue its work during future elections.It's also supposed to do a postelection assessment of how it communicated with Canadians.An assessment was made public about seven months after the 2019 election, but a similar report for the 202
media-advocate-calls-googles-move-to-block-news-content-disrespectful-to-canadians
CanadaFeb 23, 2023

Media advocate calls Google's move to block news content disrespectful to Canadians

Advocates for the print and digital media industry say Google is disrespecting Canadian readers by temporarily blocking news to some of its users.News Media Canada president Paul Deegan says the action is unbecoming of the leading global company.Google confirmed on Wednesday that it's blocking less than four per cent of Canadian users from viewing news content in a five-week test run of a potential response to the Liberal government's online news bill.Bill C-18 would require digital giants such as Google and Meta, which owns Facebook, to negotiate deals to compensate Canadian media companies f
quebec-finance-minister-to-table-budget-march-21-says-it-will-include-tax-cuts
CanadaFeb 23, 2023

Quebec finance minister to table budget March 21, says it will include tax cuts

The Coalition Avenir Québec government will table the first budget of the party's second mandate on March 21.Finance Minister Eric Girard made the announcement today at the province's legislature.He says the budget will keep all the commitments his party made during the fall election.Those promises included an income tax cut starting this year of one percentage point on the first two tax brackets.Girard says that despite the rise in interest rates, Quebec's economy so far in 2023 has performed better than expected.The minister's December update forecasted that the province would end the 2022-
CanadaFeb 23, 2023

Ottawa announces health funding agreements with Ontario, Prince Edward Island

The federal government is announcing it has reached agreements in principle for health-care funding with Ontario and Prince Edward Island.It comes a little more than two weeks after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau offered the premiers $46 billion in new money for health care over the next decade.As part of the deal, the federal government promised to negotiate bilateral agreements with each premier to target specific priority areas such as primary care, mental-health care and data sharing.In a news release today, the federal government says it has reached a 10-year deal with Ontario Premier Doug
trudeau-says-best-way-to-close-roxham-road-is-to-renegotiate-refugee-deal-with-u-s
CanadaFeb 22, 2023

Trudeau says best way to close Roxham Road is to renegotiate refugee deal with U.S.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says there are no simple solutions to shutting down a rural road in southern Quebec used by thousands of asylum seekers to cross irregularly into Canada.His comments come a day after Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said the prime minister should shut down the rural crossing known as Roxham Road within 30 days.Trudeau says closing that road would only encourage asylum seekers to use another forested path along the thousands of kilometres of border between Canada and the United States.The prime minister says the federal government also wants to close down that
inquiry-into-nova-scotia-mass-shooting-to-release-final-report-on-march-30
CanadaFeb 22, 2023

Inquiry into Nova Scotia mass shooting to release final report on March 30

The public inquiry that investigated the 2020 mass shooting in Nova Scotia announced today it will release its final report on March 30.The Mass Casualty Commission issued a statement saying the report will provide a detailed account of what happened as well as recommendations to improve community safety across Canada.Among other things, the report will examine the police response, access to firearms, gender-based violence, the killer's prior interactions with police and the steps taken to inform and support those affected by the murders.The inquiry heard that on the night of April 18, 2020, a
canadian-military-says-it-has-tracked-stopped-china-surveillance-in-arctic-waters
CanadaFeb 22, 2023

Canadian military says it has tracked, stopped China surveillance in Arctic waters

The Department of National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces confirm that they are aware of recent efforts by China to conduct surveillance operations in Canadian airspace and waters.Spokesman Daniel Le Bouthillier said in a statement that the armed forces have tracked and stopped attempts to surveil Canadian territory since 2022 under Operation LIMPID.He said that to ensure the integrity of military operations, further information cannot be provided.Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly said in an interview on CNN Wednesday morning that China is an increasingly disruptive power.She said Cana
CanadaFeb 22, 2023

Ottawa revives Law Commission of Canada, announces hires for key roles

The federal government is reviving an independent commission to offer advice to cabinet on reforming Canadian laws, and has announced its picks for key roles.McGill University law professor Shauna Van Praagh will begin a five-year term as president of the Law Commission of Canada in June, and two other commissioners have been appointed to four-year terms.The Liberals' 2021 federal budget said the government would spend $18 million over five years and $4 million in ongoing annual funding on a renewed Law Commission of Canada.The government says the commission will support efforts to create an i
parliamentary-committee-looks-to-expand-its-study-on-foreign-election-interference
CanadaFeb 21, 2023

Parliamentary committee looks to expand its study on foreign election interference

A parliamentary committee is set to decide whether or not it will expand its current study on foreign election interference to include more details about the 2021 federal election.The meeting today is in response to a report last week from the Globe and Mail newspaper that said China worked in the last federal election to defeat Conservative politicians considered unfriendly to Beijing and to help ensure a Liberal minority government.The House of Commons procedure and House affairs committee will meet later today to discuss the report, which cited classified records from Canada's spy agency.Pr

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees