22.74°C Vancouver

News

conservative-ndp-leaders-suspend-use-of-tiktok-video-app-as-house-brings-in-own-ban
CanadaFeb 28, 2023

Conservative, NDP leaders suspend use of TikTok video app as House brings in own ban

Some Canadian politicians have started deactivating their TikTok accounts after the federal government decided to ban the app from government-issued devices.Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has already suspended his use of the TikTok video app and a spokesman says all members of caucus will do the same.NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says he plans to step away from the social media platform, although did not say whether all of his MPs would follow suit.The House of Commons is also prohibiting the installation or use of the app on its managed devices beginning Friday.Treasury Board President Mona
canada-banning-video-app-tiktok-on-government-issued-mobile-devices
CanadaFeb 27, 2023

Canada banning video app TikTok on government-issued mobile devices

The federal government is banning TikTok from its mobile devices days after federal and provincial privacy commissioners launched an investigation into the social media platform.A statement from Treasury Board President Mona Fortier says the application will be removed from government-issued mobile devices on Tuesday.The statement says the decision follows a review by the chief information officer of Canada, who determined that TikTok "presents an unacceptable level of risk to privacy and security."Last week, the federal privacy watchdog and its counterparts in B.C., Alberta and Quebec announc
four-people-die-in-three-days-on-quebec-snowmobile-trails
CanadaFeb 27, 2023

Four people die in three days on Quebec snowmobile trails

Four Quebec snowmobilers have died in separate crashes since Friday.Provincial police say a man in his 60s died in St-Cuthbert, Que., around 90 kilometres northeast of Montreal, after his snowmobile collided with a tree yesterday morning.A day earlier, a man in his 50s died in Saguenay, Que., from injuries he suffered after his vehicle hit a tree.On Friday, a snowmobiler in his 40s died after colliding with another snowmobile in Quebec's Beauce-Centre region, south of Quebec City.Also on Friday, a snowmobiler in his 30s died after his snowmobile swerved off a trail in Ste-Hélène-de-Bagot, Qu
quebec-tables-bill-to-protect-rights-of-children-born-of-sexual-assault
CanadaFeb 24, 2023

Quebec tables bill to protect rights of children born of sexual assault

The Quebec government has tabled a bill that would make it illegal for someone who commits sexual assault to claim parental rights if the rape produces a child.Justice Minister Simon Jolin-Barrette tabled Bill 12 on Thursday, permitting a mother who is the victim of sexual assault to refuse parental rights to her aggressor, or to have them revoked.The bill would also require the aggressor to meet certain needs of the child and to compensate the mother.It would also permit a child born of a sexual assault to be eligible to claim inheritance after the aggressor dies.Jolin-Barrette told a news co
head-of-canadas-drug-price-regulator-resigns-same-week-as-colleague-steps-down
CanadaFeb 24, 2023

Head of Canada's drug price regulator resigns same week as colleague steps down

The executive director of Canada's drug pricing regulator is stepping down, just days after another member resigned because of concerns that the federal government was undermining the regulator's work.Douglas Clark, executive director of the Patented Medicine Prices Review Board, announced today he will be leaving his post after almost a decade with the regulator.On Thursday, Matthew Herder, a professor of health law at Dalhousie University, announced he had resigned from the board, accusing the federal government of failing to implement critically important reforms that would lower the cost o
canada-to-introduce-open-work-permit-for-iranians-simplify-process-to-stay
CanadaFeb 23, 2023

Canada to introduce open work permit for Iranians, simplify process to stay

The federal government is rolling out special temporary measures to make it easier for Iranians in Canada to stay.As of March 1, measures will come into effect to simplify the process for Iranians who are visiting, studying in or working in Canada to extend their stay and switch between temporary streams.For Iranians already in Canada, an open work permit pathway will be introduced as well.The federal government will waive fees for passports, permanent resident travel documents and citizen certificates for Canadian citizens and permanent residents in Iran who wish to come back, and for those i
no-foreign-interference-report-more-than-one-year-after-liberal-government-re-elected
CanadaFeb 23, 2023

No foreign interference report more than one year after Liberal government re-elected

A panel tasked with flagging incidents of foreign interference in Canada's elections has still not released a report evaluating its own work in the 2021 election, more than a year after the Liberals won a second minority government.The Critical Election Incident Public Protocol was created to monitor and report on threats to the 2019 election with a mandate to continue its work during future elections.It's also supposed to do a postelection assessment of how it communicated with Canadians.An assessment was made public about seven months after the 2019 election, but a similar report for the 202
media-advocate-calls-googles-move-to-block-news-content-disrespectful-to-canadians
CanadaFeb 23, 2023

Media advocate calls Google's move to block news content disrespectful to Canadians

Advocates for the print and digital media industry say Google is disrespecting Canadian readers by temporarily blocking news to some of its users.News Media Canada president Paul Deegan says the action is unbecoming of the leading global company.Google confirmed on Wednesday that it's blocking less than four per cent of Canadian users from viewing news content in a five-week test run of a potential response to the Liberal government's online news bill.Bill C-18 would require digital giants such as Google and Meta, which owns Facebook, to negotiate deals to compensate Canadian media companies f
quebec-finance-minister-to-table-budget-march-21-says-it-will-include-tax-cuts
CanadaFeb 23, 2023

Quebec finance minister to table budget March 21, says it will include tax cuts

The Coalition Avenir Québec government will table the first budget of the party's second mandate on March 21.Finance Minister Eric Girard made the announcement today at the province's legislature.He says the budget will keep all the commitments his party made during the fall election.Those promises included an income tax cut starting this year of one percentage point on the first two tax brackets.Girard says that despite the rise in interest rates, Quebec's economy so far in 2023 has performed better than expected.The minister's December update forecasted that the province would end the 2022-

Just In

IndiaAug 19, 2026

Farmers Suspend Protest at Punjab-Haryana Border, Meeting with Manohar Lal Set for September 4

Farmer organizations protesting at the Punjab-Haryana border on Wednesday announced the temporary suspension of their agitation. The decision came after Haryana authorities proposed a meeting with Union Minister Manohar Lal on September 4 to discuss the farmers’ demands. The protesting farmers had been sitting at the Khanauri–Data Singh Wala border point. On August 16, Haryana Police stopped a group of 51 farmers from proceeding towards Delhi. The farmers were undertaking a 228-kilometre-long “Kisan Bachao Padyatra” (Save Farmers March) to oppose the proposed India-U.S. trade agreement
AlbertaAug 19, 2026

Alberta AI Data Centres Face Public Scrutiny at Lacombe Town Hall

Alberta’s Minister of Technology and Innovation, Nate Glubish, is holding a town hall meeting in Lacombe this evening to hear residents’ views and concerns about artificial intelligence (AI) data centres. Plans to establish large-scale data centres in the area have faced opposition from some local residents and environmental advocates. Critics are particularly concerned about the large amounts of water the facilities could consume, their potential impact on the environment, and the heavy electricity demand that could put additional pressure on Alberta’s power grid and potentially increas
b-c-governments-decision-to-shut-public-employee-directory-sparks-transparency-debate
BCAug 19, 2026

B.C. Government’s Decision to Shut Public Employee Directory Sparks Transparency Debate

The B.C. government’s decision under Premier David Eby to suddenly shut down its online directory of government employees to the general public has sparked a political controversy in the province. Opposition parties have accused the government of hiding information from the public and undermining transparency. The government, however, says the decision was made to protect employees’ safety, privacy and cybersecurity. Through the directory, members of the public could previously find out which employees worked in different government departments, their positions and how to contact them. Lan
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain