15.36°C Vancouver

News

mental-health-minister-puts-156m-toward-launch-of-988-crisis-hotline-in-november
CanadaJul 24, 2023

Mental health minister puts $156M toward launch of 988 crisis hotline in November

Mental Health Minister Carolyn Bennett says the government is putting $156 million over three years toward a new three-digit suicide-prevention hotline.Starting on Nov. 30, people in crisis will be able to dial 988 anywhere in Canada to be connected with trained responders 24 hours a day by phone or text message.The free service will be offered in English and French.The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health will receive the money to launch and operate the hotline.The minister is also giving the organization $21 million to bolster the capacity of distress centres as they prepare for the increa
retired-rcmp-officer-charged-with-helping-beijing-intimidation-campaign
CanadaJul 21, 2023

Retired RCMP officer charged with helping Beijing intimidation campaign

The RCMP says it has charged one of its former members in a case of alleged foreign interference.William Majcher is accused of helping the Chinese government identify and intimidate a person.Police say he is from Hong Kong and used his network of Canadian contacts to get intelligence or services that benefited the People's Republic of China.They say a national security investigation into Majcher's suspicious activities began in the fall of 2021.The 60-year-old retired officer is charged with conspiracy and preparatory acts for the benefit of a foreign entity.Police have not said who was the ta
ottawa-gives-212m-funding-boost-for-housing-asylum-seekers
CanadaJul 18, 2023

Ottawa gives $212M funding boost for housing asylum seekers

The federal government is announcing $212 million more in funding for interim housing for people claiming asylum in Canada, including about $97 million for Toronto.The city has been seeing asylum seekers and refugee claimants sleeping on the sidewalks, unable to get a space in Toronto's overwhelmed shelter system.A church in Toronto is now reportedly housing them temporarily.Officials have said that the number of asylum seekers in Toronto's shelter system grew by 500 per cent in 20 months and the city has had to turn them away from at-capacity shelters toward federal programs.Mayor Olivia Chow
scientific-adviser-resigns-from-health-canada-calls-for-overhaul-of-pesticide-rules
CanadaJul 17, 2023

Scientific adviser resigns from Health Canada, calls for overhaul of pesticide rules

An independent scientific adviser has resigned from a Health Canada committee on pesticide management over concerns about a lack of transparency and scientific oversight.Dr. Bruce Lanphear, a health sciences professor at Simon Fraser University, stepped down as the co-chair of the Health Canada scientific advisory committee on pest control products on June 27.In his three-page resignation letter, he says he has little or no confidence that the committee can help the pesticide branch of Health Canada become more transparent or assure that Canadians are protected from toxic pesticides.The commit
emergency-visa-applications-for-ukrainians-fleeing-war-to-end-saturday
CanadaJul 14, 2023

Emergency visa applications for Ukrainians fleeing war to end Saturday

Canada is expected to close applications for temporary emergency visas offered to Ukrainians fleeing Russian aggression Saturday but hasn't announced whether it plans to offer long-term refuge.Canada launched the emergency visa after the Russian invasion of Ukraine last year as millions of people fled the embattled country.The visa is available to an unlimited number of Ukrainians and allows them to work and study in Canada for three years while they figure out their next steps. Those who've come to Canada using the emergency visa aren't given refugee status in Canada, and instead are consider
feds-doing-broader-review-of-social-media-after-banning-tiktok-from-work-devices
CanadaJul 13, 2023

Feds doing 'broader review' of social media after banning TikTok from work devices

The government is taking a look at possible threats from other social-media applications, after banishing TikTok from the mobile devices of federal public servants for privacy and security reasons.Martin Potvin, a spokesman for the Treasury Board Secretariat, says the government is conducting a wider review of social-media applications on work devices and will share the results when they are available.Potvin says the government is working to improve cybersecurity in Canada by identifying threats and vulnerabilities, including from social-media platforms, to ensure the protection of systems and
canadas-premiers-urge-ottawa-to-advance-infrastructure-to-boost-economic-growth
CanadaJul 12, 2023

Canada's premiers urge Ottawa to advance infrastructure to boost economic growth

Canada's premiers have ended their annual three-day conference in Winnipeg with a request that Ottawa boost economic growth and trade.Manitoba Premier Heather Stefanson, who hosted the meeting, says the premiers have asked for a dedicated meeting with the prime minister to discuss infrastructure priorities.Stefanson says partnerships are needed to keep Canada competitive, but Ottawa must respect the unique jurisdictions of each province.She says the provinces are united in their goal of advancing infrastructure in communities and between jurisdictions, including economic trade corridors.The pr
canadian-unemployment-rate-rose-to-5-4-in-june
CanadaJul 07, 2023

Canadian unemployment rate rose to 5.4% in June

Unemployment in Canada climbed in June and numbers from Statistics Canada show B.C. followed the trend.Stats Can says the national jobless rate edged up three basis points to 5.4 per cent last month, while the number of people looking for work in this province climbed to 5.6 per cent from five per cent in May.Analysts say 60,000 positions were added to the national economy in June, but the growing population and boost in jobseekers overshadowed the gain.The Bank of Canada has blamed low unemployment for fuelling inflation and it could consider the consecutive monthly hikes in the jobless rate
canadian-government-suspends-advertising-on-facebook-instagram
CanadaJul 05, 2023

Canadian government suspends advertising on Facebook, Instagram

The Canadian government has given a severe blow to Meta which is opposing the Online News Act.Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez said the federal government is going to suspend all its ads on Facebook and Instagram.The Trudeau government minister said that Meta's threat to block Canadian news on its platforms in defiance of the Online News Act was irresponsible and unacceptable.He said that the government wants the two platforms to negotiate and pay Canadian media instead of local news while working on the regulatory process.The government said that the talks with Google are going in the right

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to