20.28°C Vancouver

News

online-harms-bill-dont-link-boys-suicide-with-government-actions-trudeau-says
BCNov 29, 2023

Online harms bill: Don't link boy's suicide with government actions, Trudeau says

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says it's inappropriate to draw a link between government actions and the death of a British Columbia boy who killed himself last month after falling prey to online sextortion.NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh referred to the death of the 12-year-old in Prince George, B.C., during question period today as he asked Trudeau when the Liberal government will table long-promised legislation designed to mitigate online harms.Trudeau first promised to introduce legislation tackling hate speech, terrorist content and sexual abuse material in the 2019 federal election campaign.He m
joly-and-leblanc-refused-to-comment-on-pannun-case
BCNov 29, 2023

Joly and LeBlanc refused to comment on Pannun case

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly said little Wednesday about the unfolding murder-for-hire plot and its echoes of a similar investigation in Canada.When it comes to what’s happening in the U.S., I won’t comment directly because of course, I respect the work that the American law enforcement agencies are doing and I respect also the independence of their legal system," she said.We stand by our own credible allegations that there was the killing of a Canadian, on Canadian soil, linking to Indian agents."Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc deflected a barrage of questions about the
u-s-says-alleged-murder-plotter-was-directed-by-india-and-mentioned-b-c-killing
BCNov 29, 2023

U.S. says alleged murder plotter was directed by India and mentioned B.C. killing

American prosecutors say a man allegedly involved in a murder plot against a Sikh activist on U.S. soil also discussed the killing of Canadian Hardeep Singh Nijjar, just hours after Nijjar was gunned down outside a British Columbia temple.The murder-for-hire indictment against Nikhil Gupta, 52, says he told an undercover officer who he thought was a hit man that Nijjar "was also the target," and because he was dead, there was "no need to wait" on the next killing.The indictment says Gupta was recruited by an Indian government employee to orchestrate the killing of the activist, who isn't name
us-authorities-charge-man-from-india-in-plot-to-kill-a-sikh-separatist-leader-in-new-york-city
CanadaNov 29, 2023

US authorities charge man from India in plot to kill a Sikh separatist leader in New York City

U.S. authorities announced murder-for-hire charges Wednesday against a man from India who they say plotted to pay an assassin $100,000 to kill a prominent Sikh separatist leader living in New York City after the man advocated for the establishment of a sovereign state for Sikhs. U.S. Attorney Damian Williams announced the charges against Nikhil Gupta, an Indian national who had lived in India, as an indictment was unsealed in Manhattan federal court. "As alleged, the defendant conspired from India to assassinate, right here in New York City, a U.S. citizen of Indian origin who has publicly ad
el-niño-brings-a-warm-start-to-winter-but-that-could-change-weather-network
BCNov 29, 2023

El Niño brings a warm start to winter, but that could change: Weather Network

Chilly nights and snow-covered slopes may not be easy to come by in much of Canada during the first part of the winter season, according to the winter outlook from one of Canada's prominent forecasters. The Weather Network predicts El Niño conditions will lead to above-average temperatures and lower-than-normal precipitation levels in much of the country, particularly in Western and Central Canada. While that trend is expected to hold throughout the winter in British Columbia and the Prairie provinces, the network said areas further east may see more variable conditions as the season progres
ottawa-reaches-deal-with-google-over-controversial-online-news-act
CanadaNov 29, 2023

Ottawa reaches deal with Google over controversial Online News Act

The federal Liberal government has reached a deal with Google over the Online News Act, following threats from the digital giant that it would remove news from its search platform in Canada. A government official confirmed that news to The Canadian Press under condition of anonymity, because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the deal. source is reporting, that the agreement would see Canadian news continue to be shared on Google's platforms in return for the company making annual payments to news companies in the range of $100 million. A formula in the government's draft re
three-in-four-canadians-say-higher-immigration-is-worsening-housing-crisis-poll
CanadaNov 29, 2023

Three in four Canadians say higher immigration is worsening housing crisis: Poll

A large majority of Canadians agree that higher immigration is fueling the housing crisis and putting pressure on the health-care system, a new Leger poll suggests. New federal voting intention numbers from the polling firm also show that the Conservatives are maintaining their sizable lead over the governing Liberals. The polling, conducted from Friday to Sunday, found that about three-quarters of respondents agreed the increase in immigrants is adding strain to both the housing market and health-care system. Nearly two-thirds of respondents, or 63 per cent, said the volume of newcomers is al
entry-232628
BCNov 29, 2023

WorkSafeBC releases first online registry of licensed asbestos abatement contractors in B.C.

Beginning Jan. 1, 2024, asbestos abatement employers must be licensed to operate in B.C. This means homeowners, business owners, and contractors must ensure their asbestos abatement contractor holds a valid licence before allowing them to carry out work. To enable British Columbians to verify that a contractor is licensed, WorkSafeBC has developed an Asbestos Abatement License (AAL) Registry. In B.C., asbestos is prevalent in residential and commercial buildings, posing serious health and safety risks when disturbed. Asbestos is a mineral that was used in more than 3,000 building materials f
the-conservative-leader-rejected-the-allegations-made-by-nikki-sharma-regarding-sogi
BCNov 28, 2023

The Conservative leader rejected the allegations made by Nikki Sharma regarding SOGI

The leader of the BC Conservatives is rejecting accusations that he's stoking hateful politics with his opposition to school programs about sexual orientation and gender identity, known as SOGI. John Rustad was responding to comments Monday by Attorney General Niki Sharma about a highway chase on the weekend that ended when a tractor flying an anti-SOGI protest flag crashed with a police car and flipped over. Sharma said it was a concerning incident and Rustad's party is to blame for ``dangerous protests'' about the issue. Rustad says parents are right to raise concerns about SOGI, saying t

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to