17.85°C Vancouver

News

trudeau-announces-retaliatory-measures-against-us-tariffs
CanadaJan 17, 2025

Trudeau Announces Retaliatory Measures Against US Tariffs

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced that Canada will take retaliatory measures if the US proceeds with imposing new tariffs. After a meeting with the Council on Canada-US Relations, Trudeau emphasized that Canada is prepared to respond decisively to any trade challenges. The newly formed Council on Canada-US Relations, established by Trudeau, comprises business leaders, policy experts, and former politicians. Its objective is to assist the government in addressing the threat of US tariffs on Canadian goods. In response to the situation, Trudeau has scheduled a cabinet meeting for next
freeland-announces-she-will-be-running-for-liberal-leadership
CanadaJan 17, 2025

Freeland announces she will be running for Liberal leadership

Chrystia Freeland announced that she will be running to be leader of the Liberal Party and Prime Minister of Canada. In a social media post, she said she is “running to fight for Canada,” and will be officially launching her campaign on Sunday. With this announcement, the main contest in the Liberal leadership race is set to be between Freeland and Mark Carney. Carney announced alongside supporters in Edmonton on Thursday that he plans to run for the Liberal leadership. While Freeland is a former finance minister and deputy prime minister, Carney is a former governor of the Bank of Canada
justin-trudeau-announces-he-will-not-contest-next-election
CanadaJan 16, 2025

Justin Trudeau Announces He Will Not Contest Next Election

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced that he will not contest the next election, signaling his departure from politics. Trudeau mentioned that he doesn't have much time to consider what he will do after leaving politics, adding that the next few weeks, including Trump’s inauguration, are crucial for Canadians, and the team is focused on those issues. He made these comments at a press conference following a meeting with the Premier last evening. It is worth noting that Trudeau first won the election in 2008 from the Papineau riding in Montreal, and he has won re-election in this seat
premier-david-eby-says-trump-tariffs-could-delay-or-cancel-grocery-rebates-in-bc
CanadaJan 16, 2025

Premier David Eby Says Trump Tariffs Could Delay or Cancel Grocery Rebates in BC

Premier David Eby has indicated that if Trump implements tariffs, his party’s election-promised grocery rebates could be delayed or canceled. Eby said that the first priority is to protect British Columbians from the threat of Trump’s tariffs. He added that the finance minister is preparing the budget and considering every possible risk. It is worth noting that Premier David Eby promised to provide up to $1,000 in grocery rebates to middle-class individuals in BC during last year’s election campaign, upon returning to power. However, Trump’s tariffs are now making it difficult for the
immigration-leads-to-record-population-growth-in-several-quebec-regions
CanadaJan 16, 2025

Immigration leads to record population growth in several Quebec regions

A new report from Quebec’s statistics institute says many of the province's regions grew at a record or near-record pace between 2023 and 2024, due in large part to immigration. Montreal led the way, adding more than 91,000 people between July 2023 and July 2024 for a 4.2 per cent growth rate, which is one of the highest ever recorded in any region. Quebec City set a new record at 2.4 per cent growth, while the city of Laval and the Outaouais and Mauricie regions followed closely behind. The Institut de la statistique du Québec says the growth is due mostly to immigration, and temporary imm
pierre-poilievre-to-unveil-strategy-against-trump-tariffs-soon
CanadaJan 16, 2025

Pierre Poilievre to Unveil Strategy Against Trump Tariffs Soon

Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre will soon unveil his strategy to counter Trump-era tariffs. In an interview, Poilievre stated that he will detail his agenda and approach to addressing Trump's economic threat to Canada in the coming days. Poilievre also expressed the belief that Canada should impose tariffs on goods from the United States in response to Trump's actions. Additionally, he discussed the potential repeal of the capital gains tax increase, warning that if investors do not have confidence that a future Conservative government will reverse the tax hike, Canada could lose billion
eby-calls-trump-tariffs-economic-war-that-would-cost-b-c-69-billion
BCJan 16, 2025

Eby calls Trump tariffs 'economic war' that would cost B.C. $69 billion

British Columbia Premier David Eby says U.S. president-elect Donald Trump has made a "declaration of economic war" on Canada and B.C. with his proposed 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods. Eby and Finance Minister Brenda Bailey released costings that suggest the tariffs and a similar response from Canada would cumulatively cost B.C. $69 billion by 2028. The costings also estimate 124,000 fewer jobs in the province by 2028 and that the unemployment rate would rise to 7.1 per cent next year.
liberal-mp-from-bc-backs-mark-carney-for-prime-minister
CanadaJan 15, 2025

Liberal MP from BC Backs Mark Carney for Prime Minister

Patrick Weiler, Liberal MP for West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast-Sea-to-Sky, has announced his support for Mark Carney as Canada’s next prime minister. Weiler emphasized the need for a leader focused on the economy, budget deficit, and citizens’ rights. After consulting hundreds of constituents, Weiler stated that Mark Carney’s name stood out. He highlighted Carney’s leadership during the 2008-09 financial crisis as Bank of Canada governor and his role in navigating the UK through Brexit as Bank of England governor. Citing Carney’s experience and abilities, Weiler affirmed his decision
50-000-international-students-in-canada-did-not-attend-college
CanadaJan 15, 2025

50,000 International Students in Canada Did Not Attend College

A report reveals that about 50,000 international students in Canada, including 20,000 from India, did not attend college despite holding study permits. This data was collected from colleges and universities and shared with the Immigration Department in March and April 2024. Last year, the Canadian government mandated institutions to report data on international students to the IRCC to identify fraudulent students and suspicious schools. Universities and colleges must now report twice annually to confirm how many international students are actively attending classes as required by their permit

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees