18.44°C Vancouver

News

poilievre-announces-canada-first-reinvestment-tax-cut
CanadaMar 31, 2025

Poilievre Announces Canada First Reinvestment Tax Cut

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has announced a new tax relief aimed at capital gains, called the "Canada First Reinvestment Tax Cut." Poilievre stated that individuals or businesses who sell their property and reinvest the profits within Canada will not have to pay any capital gains tax on those earnings. While campaigning in Ontario on Sunday, Poilievre explained that the purpose of this tax cut is to encourage Canadian investors to reinvest their profits domestically, thereby keeping more money within the Canadian economy. The Canada First Reinvestment Tax Cut will apply to any capita
liberals-stand-by-candidate-paul-chiang-amid-controversy
CanadaMar 31, 2025

Liberals Stand by Candidate Paul Chiang Amid Controversy

The Liberals will not remove their Toronto-area candidate, Paul Chiang, over controversial comments about a Conservative candidate. Liberal Party Leader Mark Carney confirmed this decision this morning. Carney stated that Chiang has served the community for a long time as a police officer and has apologized for his remarks. As a result, he will remain the Liberal candidate for the Markham–Unionville riding. Notably, Chiang had encouraged members of his community to extradite Conservative Party candidate Joe Tay to China in exchange for a reward from Hong Kong police during a local Chinese-l
jagmeet-singh-promises-to-ban-corporations-from-buying-affordable-rental-buildings
CanadaMar 28, 2025

Jagmeet Singh Promises to Ban Corporations from Buying Affordable Rental Buildings

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh promised on Friday during his election campaign in Toronto that, if his government is formed, he will ban corporations from purchasing existing affordable rental buildings. Singh expressed concerns that many people fear eviction if these buildings are acquired by large corporate landlords. He assured that under an NDP government, such practices would not continue. This is the reality in our country; it happens all the time, and it is absolutely wrong, Singh said. He also vowed to increase funding for the Canada Rental Protection Fund for non-profit organizations, enab
vancouver-police-deploying-big-presence-to-maintain-order-at-anti-tesla-protests
CanadaMar 28, 2025

Vancouver police deploying big presence to 'maintain order' at anti-Tesla protests

Vancouver police say they are investigating 28 anti-Tesla incidents and will deploy more than 130 extra officers to "maintain order" at protests targeting the electric carmaker this weekend. The force says in a statement that the incidents targeting Tesla are suspected to be politically motivated and all have occurred since Jan. 20. It says 19 incidents were at dealerships and charging stations, including "hateful words and symbols spray-painted on buildings, eggs thrown at cars, and windshields smashed." A further nine apparently political incidents targeted private vehicles, including rocks
premier-david-eby-removes-controversial-clause-4-from-tariff-response-bill-7
CanadaMar 28, 2025

Premier David Eby Removes Controversial Clause 4 from Tariff-Response Bill 7

Premier David Eby has announced the removal of the controversial Clause 4 from the Tariff-Response Bill 7. This clause, which allowed the cabinet to implement or alter laws without a debate or vote in the legislature, had been widely criticized. The provincial government faced constant opposition over this provision. The BC Conservatives had labeled Clause 4 of Bill 7 as undemocratic, while both the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade and the BC Chamber of Commerce initially supported the bill but later opposed it. Eby stated that he is withdrawing Clause 4 in response to concerns raised by the
westjet-apologizes-to-bc-passengers-for-february-16-flight-cancellation
BCMar 28, 2025

WestJet Apologizes to BC Passengers for February 16 Flight Cancellation

WestJet has issued an apology to passengers in British Columbia for the inconvenience caused by the cancellation of Flight WS3299 on February 16. The airline cited crew issues as the reason for the cancellation. In a statement, WestJet explained that the flight, scheduled to travel from Calgary to Nanaimo via Regina, was canceled due to unscheduled maintenance required for safety. The airline also acknowledged that passengers experienced difficulties obtaining vouchers for meals and accommodation. At the airport, passengers, including elderly individuals, were seen wandering with their luggag
canada-to-retaliate-against-trumps-april-2-tariffs
CanadaMar 28, 2025

Canada to Retaliate Against Trump's April 2 Tariffs

Canada will retaliate against the tariffs imposed by President Trump, set to take effect on April 2, according to Prime Minister Mark Carney's office. In a statement from the PMO, it was revealed that Trump and Carney agreed to initiate talks on a new economic and security relationship immediately following the election during a phone call today. Carney informed the president that he would work diligently next month to secure the mandate to lead Canada in addressing these matters. The Prime Minister also informed Trump that his government would implement retaliatory tariffs to safeguard Canad
poilievre-promises-tougher-sentences-for-trafficking-offenders
CanadaMar 28, 2025

Poilievre Promises Tougher Sentences for Trafficking Offenders

Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre has announced plans to introduce a law that would impose life sentences on individuals convicted of trafficking, gun smuggling, and fentanyl distribution if his party forms the next government. He also pledged to strengthen bail rules, arguing that current laws are not stringent enough for repeat offenders. Poilievre stated that individuals convicted of five or more counts of human trafficking or 10 or more counts of illegal weapons trafficking would face life imprisonment. The same penalty would apply to large-scale fentanyl trafficking. The Conservative
saskatchewan-becomes-canadas-first-carbon-tax-free-province
CanadaMar 28, 2025

Saskatchewan Becomes Canada’s First Carbon Tax-Free Province

Saskatchewan is set to become Canada’s first completely carbon tax-free province. Premier Scott Moe has announced the elimination of the industrial carbon tax, effective April 1. He stated that the move will provide immediate financial relief to families, farmers, businesses, and industries, especially in the face of potential tariffs. This decision follows Premier Mark Carney’s March 14 announcement to eliminate the consumer carbon tax, also effective April 1. As a result, Saskatchewan residents will no longer pay a federal carbon tax on home heating, nor will there be a provincial carbo

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees