19.57°C Vancouver

News

trump-says-canada-should-become-u-s-state-as-president-weighs-in-on-canadian-vote
CanadaApr 28, 2025

Trump says Canada should become U.S. state as president weighs in on Canadian vote

President Donald Trump weighed in on Canada's election today, repeating his claim that Canada should become a U.S. state. Trump's tariffs and repeated threats of annexation have become a central issue ahead of today's vote. The president posted on social media that Canada could become a 51st state without "an artificially drawn line from many years ago." Trump says Canadians should "elect the man who has the strength and wisdom to cut your taxes in half, increase your military power, for free, to the highest level in the World." Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Sunday that the U.S. adminis
youths-charged-with-assault-after-alleged-luring-of-person-on-lgbtq-dating-app
CanadaApr 28, 2025

Youths charged with assault after alleged luring of person on LGBTQ+ dating app

Six teenagers are charged with robbery and assault after allegedly luring an adult to an area of north Edmonton through an LGBTQ+ dating app. Police say they were called last month to the Calder neighborhood, where a person arranged to meet someone from Grindr. Instead, they say the person was met by a group of youths, all between 15 and 16 years old, and allegedly assaulted, struck with blunt objects and robbed. Police identified several suspects and learned the app was used to lure the person under false pretences. Police say the person was brought to hospital with serious in
17-remain-in-hospital-after-b-c-festival-attack
BCApr 28, 2025

11 killed and 17 remain in hospital after B.C. festival attack

An organizer of the Filipino festival in Vancouver that was devastated by a "meaningless tragedy" says there are many who will need help to recover after a vehicle tore through their celebration, killing 11 people. RJ Aquino told hundreds of mourners at a vigil Sunday night that people are confused, devastated and numb. Police have charged a 30-year-old Vancouver man with eight counts of second-degree murder and say more charges are expected once all the victims have been identified B.C.'s Health Ministry issued an update last night saying 32 people were seen at several hospitals in the Lower
police-seek-3-toronto-women-who-robbed-stores-in-scarborough
CanadaApr 25, 2025

Police seek 3 Toronto women who robbed stores in Scarborough

Toronto police have released images of three women who allegedly stole from local stores in the Scarborough area by sexually harassing them. The three are described as having long hair and dark, olive skin. Police say there were five incidents in the Scarborough area between June 2024 and April 2025 where the owner and employee were distracted by sexual activity and robbed of large amounts of cash. According to Toronto police, upon entering the store, a female suspect would allegedly engage in sexual activity with the owner or employee, and her accomplices would steal the cash. Investigators
burnaby-rcmp-arrests-44-year-old-man-after-he-allegedly-threatened-security-staff-with-bear-spray-and-a-knife
CanadaApr 25, 2025

Burnaby RCMP arrests 44-year-old man after he allegedly threatened security staff with bear spray and a knife

A 44-year-old man was arrested by Burnaby RCMP after he allegedly threatened Metrotown security with bear spray and a knife. On April 22, 2025, at approximately 10:20 p.m., Burnaby RCMP frontline officers responded to a report of a suspect who had allegedly attempted to bear spray staff while holding a knife. The suspect had fled the scene prior to police arrival; however, with the assistance of several witnesses and security, police were able to quickly locate the suspect a short distance away. Police verbally engaged the suspect, who was holding what was believed to be a can of bear spray. T
liberals-are-not-trustworthy-at-all-jagmeet-singh
CanadaApr 25, 2025

Liberals are not trustworthy at all: Jagmeet Singh

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh today launched a major attack on the Liberal Party led by Mark Carney. During the election campaign in Toronto, he said that the Liberals are not trustworthy at all. Jagmeet Singh said that history is a witness to this that the Liberals do the right thing only when the New Democrats force them to do so. Jagmeet Singh also said that he fears that if the Liberals come to power, they will make big cuts in the budget, which will revive the memory of the cuts made by the party in the 1990s. During this, he also commented on the Palestinian and Jewish communities. He sa
poilievre-promises-to-start-work-from-day-one-after-victory
CanadaApr 25, 2025

Poilievre promises to start work from day one after victory

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says that if his government is formed, he will start work from day one and that parliamentary proceedings will last until the passage of three important bills related to the people. Poilievre said that his government will run the House of Commons sitting throughout the summer to pass bills related to capacity, crime and the economy, and during this time, politicians' vacations will be canceled. Poilievre was in Saskatoon this morning, which is considered a safe seat for the Conservatives. At the same time, he also talked about eliminating trade barriers
court-declares-mistrial-in-former-world-junior-hockey-players-sex-assault-case
CanadaApr 25, 2025

Court declares mistrial in former world junior hockey players' sex assault case

A new jury is set to be selected today in the sexual assault case of five former members of Canada's world juniorhockey team after an Ontario judge declared a mistrial days into the proceedings. A new trial is now expected to start next week for Michael McLeod, Carter Hart, Alex Formenton, Dillon Dube and Callan Foote, who have all pleaded not guilty to sexual assault.McLeod has also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of being a party to the offence of sexual assault.The trial began in London, Ont., on Wednesday and the prosecution's first witness only briefly took the stand before tes
stolen-edmonton-statue-of-womens-rights-pioneer-emily-murphy-recovered-man-arrested
CanadaApr 25, 2025

Stolen Edmonton statue of women's rights pioneer Emily Murphy recovered, man arrested

An Alberta man is facing charges after bits and pieces of a statue depicting a Canadian women's rights pioneer were recovered almost two months after being stolen. Edmonton police say they learned in February that the life-sized bronze statue of Emily Murphy, along with its plaque, was stolen from the park bearing her namesake. Around the same time, police say they began investigating reports of decorative address plates being stolen from homes in the city's west end. Investigators say police searched a home in March and later recovered portions of the statue and signs at an Edmonton metal

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees