19.76°C Vancouver

News

cochrane-rcmp-seek-public-assistance-in-locating-missing-mother-and-daughter
BCJul 23, 2025

Cochrane RCMP seek public assistance in locating missing mother and daughter

Cochrane, Alta. - Cochrane RCMP is seeking public assistance in locating missing mother and daughter. 30-year-old Ashley Bartley and 4-year-old Marlie Myers were last seen in Cochrane on July 12, 2025. They may be travelling in a white 2021 Chevrolet Spark, bearing Alberta licence CWH 6991. They are also linked to a brown Chevrolet Silverado bearing Alberta licence CTK 2994. It is believed they may be in the Vancouver area and there is concern for their wellbeing. Ashley is described as: 5 foot 4 inches tall and 130 poundsLong, brown hair and brown eyesLast seen wearing a white t-shirt, sho
BCJul 23, 2025

Richmond man sentenced for contravening Securities Act

Vancouver – A Richmond resident has been sentenced after being found guilty of trading in securities without being registered and trading in securities without filing a prospectus, following an investigation by the BC Securities Commission (BCSC). Richard Yung Shyang Chen was convicted and fined $4001 on July 4 at the conclusion of a trial in Vancouver Provincial Court. Chen, a registered mutual fund dealing representative, promoted and facilitated two trades in investment contracts that were outside the scope of his registration, while also working as a bookkeeper for the organization offer
three-people-trapped-in-b-c-s-red-chris-mine-premier-david-eby-says
BCJul 23, 2025

Three people trapped in B.C.'s Red Chris mine, Premier David Eby says

Three miners have been trapped underground at British Columbia's Red Chris copper and gold mine. B.C. Premier David Eby released the news at the end of the premiers' gathering in Ontario. Eby said to the best of the government's knowledge the workers are uninjured and in a refuge area at the mine in B.C.'s northern Interior. The premier said they are in contact with the mine's owner which is working with world-leading mining rescue experts. "B.C. miners are the best in the world. Our rescue teams are exceptional, and they will be working overtime to bring these workers home safely to their fam
BCJul 22, 2025

Warrants issued for Nanaimo woman

Warrants have been issued for the arrest of 36-year Amie Kloss. Kloss recently failed to appear in Nanaimo Provincial Court for a scheduled court appearance. Therefore, warrants were issued for her arrest. Kloss is before the courts from an incident stemming from March of 2025 where it is alleged, she was involved in a motor vehicle incident, fled from attending officers and allegedly drove a vehicle in a dangerous manner. Her whereabouts are currently unknown. Kloss is also wanted on unrelated warrants from Ladysmith and Oceanside RCMP. Amie Kloss is Caucasian woman, 5 foot three inches t
murder-probe-after-boy-15-stabbed-to-death-on-downtown-vancouver-street
BCJul 22, 2025

Murder probe after boy, 15, stabbed to death on downtown Vancouver street

Police say a 15-year-old boy was stabbed to death near Vancouver's Robson Square over the weekend and the killing is being investigated as a murder. No arrests have been made, and police say they are not releasing the name of the victim, who was from Surrey, B.C. Police are asking anyone with information about the stabbing that investigators believe happened around 11:40 p.m. Saturday to come forward. Officers believe there was a "violent altercation" near the Vancouver Law Courts at Smithe and Hornby Street. A passerby called police who found the injured boy on Hornby Street, but despite the
surrey-kaps-café-reopens-after-shooting-incident
BCJul 22, 2025

Surrey: Kap's café reopens after shooting incident

Kap’s Café, the Surrey business owned by comedian Kapil Sharma and his wife Ginni, has reopened after being closed for about 10 days following a shooting earlier this month. When Connect FM visited the café this afternoon, staff declined to comment on camera but confirmed operations had resumed. Around 10 customers were inside and the atmosphere appeared calm, though a Surrey Police Service vehicle remained parked outside as a precaution. Shots were fired at the café on July 10 at about 1:50 a.m., forcing the closure. The reopening has also prompted new operating hours – the café will
residents-raising-questions-on-speeding-after-crash-in-surrey
BCJul 21, 2025

Residents raise questions on speeding after crash in Surrey

Two vehicles crashed in the area of 124th Street and 75th Avenue in Surrey at around 9 a.m. this morning. The crash involved a black Tesla SUV and a brown minivan. The crash was so severe that both vehicles were badly damaged and a tow truck had to be removed from the scene. The Connect FM team arrived at the scene at around 11am and by then the drivers had been evacuated, but the vehicles were still being removed and two Surrey Police vehicles and officers were on the scene. Anju, a resident of the house near which the two vehicles collided, said the vehicles came to a stop in her driveway an
heat-warning-up-for-b-c-s-north-coast-persisting-until-tuesday
BCJul 21, 2025

Heat warning up for B.C.'s north coast, persisting until Tuesday

Environment Canada has issued a heat warning for the inland regions of British Columbia's north coast, saying there is a moderate risk to public health. It says daytime temperatures are expected to be near 30 degrees Celsius with overnight lows in the mid-teens. The weather office says the elevated temperatures are expected to persist until Tuesday night, returning to seasonal values on Wednesday. It says health risks are higher for seniors, people who live alone and those with pre-existing conditions including diabetes, heart disease and respiratory diseases. Environment Canada is encouraging
investigation-underway-for-stolen-vehicle-that-crashed-into-retaining-wall
BCJul 18, 2025

Investigation underway for stolen vehicle that crashed into retaining wall

On July 17, 2025, at approximately 11:00 p.m., West Shore RCMP responded to a report of a collision where a stolen Grey 2004 GMC Jimmy crashed into a brick retaining wall in front of the 2600 block of Peatt Rd in Langford. The vehicle stopped short of crashing into the multi unit dwelling at this location, however, it did cause significant damage to the retaining wall and the vehicle itself. Witnesses advised that there were several suspects seen exiting the vehicle right after the crash. Police are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying these suspects. Suspect Descriptions: Group of

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to