21.19°C Vancouver

News

day-of-action-for-air-canada-flight-attendants-at-major-airports
BCAug 11, 2025

'Day of action' for Air Canada flight attendants at major airports

Air Canada flight attendants staged demonstrations at airports in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, and Montreal on Wednesday as part of a National Day of Action organized by their union. The Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE), which represents more than 9,500 flight attendants, says the goal is to raise awareness of what it describes as “poverty wages” and unpaid labour that occurs when crews are on duty but not in the air. Union members have been in contract talks with Air Canada since the start of the year. Earlier this month, workers voted overwhelmingly in favour of a strike mandate
denny-bao-and-juliet-zhang-win-titles-at-surrey-open-tournament
BCAug 11, 2025

Denny Bao and Juliet Zhang win titles at Surrey Open tournament

The Surrey Open tennis tournament concluded Sunday at Newton Athletic Park, showcasing both rising stars and local talent in one of the city’s largest annual sports competitions. In the men’s open category, 19-year-old Denny Bao of Vancouver captured the title with a 6-4, 6-2 win over veteran finalist Henry Ren, who has now reached three consecutive Surrey Open finals. Bao earned the $7,100 top prize, while Ren collected $3,550 as runner-up. The women’s singles final saw Richmond’s Juliet Zhang, 30, defeat 14-year-old newcomer Lyza Dovopol 6-2, 6-1. Zhang said the win was especially m
BCAug 11, 2025

Public assistance has resulted in an arrest

At 6:30 pm on July 27, 2025, in the 200 block of Selby Road in Nanaimo, a witness saw a male punch and kick his German Shepherd. The witness captured a photo of the male and the dog and reported the incident to the Nanaimo RCMP.On August 5, 2025, the Nanaimo RCMP published a media release with the photo and requested the public's assistance in identifying and locating the suspect. Cst Wade, a member of the Nanaimo RCMP, said after the release, the police received over 20 calls from the public with information about the male and his dog.UPDATE:On the afternoon of August 7, 2025, in response to
b-c-wildfire-that-forced-evacuation-in-okanagan-region-is-now-being-held
BCAug 11, 2025

B.C. wildfire that forced evacuation in Okanagan region is now being held

A wildfire in the British Columbia Interior that forced a tactical evacuation of about 25 homes over the weekend is now declared as being held. The BC Wildfire Service says the classification means the fire of about 2.5 hectares in size near Kelowna, B.C., is not expected to grow beyond its current perimeter. All residents evacuated Sunday can now return home, although Central Okanagan Emergency Operations says three addresses have been placed on alert to prepare for possible evacuation again on short notice. The wildfire service had warned that hot, dry and windy weather in southern B.C. coul
steep-terrain-and-limited-water-impact-out-of-control-fire-on-vancouver-island
BCAug 11, 2025

Steep terrain and limited water impact out-of-control fire on Vancouver Island

The BC Wildfire Service says it will keep crews on the out-of-control Wesley Ridge wildfire near Cameron Lake for the "foreseeable future" as they deal with steep terrain and limited access to water. Beau Michaud, operations sections chief, says in a video shared Sunday that crews face "very, very steep ground with near vertical slopes heading into Cameron Lake" on the south flank of the fire first discovered July 31 and suspected to be human-caused. Arlen Kanary, operations branch director, says crews have opened up old logging roads and built temporary helicopter landing pads to access the a
surrey-shots-fired-for-the-second-time-on-kaps-cafe
BCAug 07, 2025

Surrey: Shots fired for the second time on Kap's Cafe

Gunfire struck Kap’s Café early Tuesday morning, less than a month after the same Surrey business was first attacked in July. Police say shots were fired at about 4:40 a.m. at the café near 85 Avenue and 120 Street. No one was injured, but windows were shattered and bullet holes were visible near the entrance. The café, which reopened just 10 days after the July 10 shooting, has now closed again. Connect FM spoke with Staff Sergeant Lindsey Houghton, who confirmed investigators are looking into whether extortion may be a factor. “We are pursuing all leads, including the possibility of o
b-c-s-2024-deficit-comes-in-under-forecast-at-7-3b
BCAug 07, 2025

B.C.'s 2024 deficit comes in under forecast at $7.3B

British Columbia's final deficit for the fiscal year has come in at $7.3 billion, $564 million lower than the original projected number in Budget 2024. The final deficit is also about $1.8 billion lower than the most recent third-quarter forecast. Finance Minister Brenda Bailey says B.C. was able to report a lower-than-projected deficit largely due to revenue from the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. Total revenue was about $2.5 billion higher than expected in the budget. B.C.'s GDP grew by 1.2 per cent, lower than the Canadian average of 1.6 per cent. The taxpayer-supported debt-to-
b-c-restaurant-owned-by-bollywood-star-kapil-sharma-shot-at-a-second-time-in-a-month
BCAug 07, 2025

B.C. restaurant owned by Bollywood star Kapil Sharma shot at a second time in a month

Police say a restaurant in British Columbia linked to a prominent Indian comedian was shot at for the second time within a month. Surrey police say the latest attack on Kap's Cafe, linked to comic and television host Kapil Sharma, came early Thursday. Police have said the cafe was the site of another overnight shooting almost one month ago, in which a gunman opened fire from inside a vehicle with a handgun. Investigators say no one was injured in either shooting, but confirmed there was damage to the building and its windows in the latest attack. No suspects have been identified in either shoo
BCAug 06, 2025

Public Warning: In-person bank card scam

Richmond RCMP is once again warning the public of a reoccurring scam where fraudsters are picking up bank cards in person to defraud victims. This scam is resurfacing and continuing with more sophisticated tactics. There have been 11 reported cases in Richmond since April 2025, with an approximate loss of $53,000. In all instances, the victims were contacted by fraudsters over the phone impersonating bank employees advising their bank cards are compromised. The fraudsters convinced the victims to provide their personal information, banking information, including their PINS, and to give their p

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees