18.9°C Vancouver

News

john-rustad-steps-down-as-b-c-conservative-leader-after-caucus-revolt
BCDec 04, 2025

John Rustad steps down as B.C. Conservative leader after caucus revolt

John Rustad has resigned as leader of the Conservative Party of B.C., ending a tense standoff that unfolded over the past two days between him, his caucus and the party’s executive. His departure comes less than 24 hours after he publicly rejected calls to quit, insisting he still held the mandate to lead. In a written statement released today, Rustad said the internal dispute was not the result of a hostile takeover by former BC Liberal members, responding to concerns raised by some supporters after last year’s political realignment that saw several MLAs cross over to the Conservatives. H
vancouver-police-rule-childs-fatal-balcony-fall-a-tragic-accident
BCDec 04, 2025

Vancouver police rule child’s fatal balcony fall a tragic accident

Vancouver police say the death of an eight-year-old girl who fell from a highrise balcony in Yaletown last month has been confirmed as an accident. Investigators concluded their review of the Nov. 11 incident and found no evidence of criminal involvement. In a brief statement, the Vancouver Police Department said the girl’s fall from an upper-floor balcony was a tragic event, and officers extended condolences to the family and community members affected. The case was handled by the department’s Major Crime Section, which is responsible for probing sudden deaths and complex investigations.
b-c-conservatives-say-professionally-incapacitated-rustad-removed-as-leader
BCDec 03, 2025

B.C. Conservatives say 'professionally incapacitated' Rustad removed as leader

The BC Conservative Party says John Rustad has been removed as leader of the provincial Opposition. The announcement comes after 20 members of Rustad's caucus said they had lost confidence in him and wanted him out. Rustad refused to resign and cited the party's constitution, which says a leader can only be removed by resignation, death, incapacitation or a leadership review. The party says its board of directors has decided Rustad is ``professionally incapacitated'' and unable to continue as leader of the party. The B.C. Conservative Party sent the following news release about the re
burnaby-rcmp-seeks-witnesses-and-dashcam-video-after-deadly-collision-on-kingsway
BCDec 03, 2025

Burnaby RCMP seeks witnesses and dashcam video after deadly collision on Kingsway

Burnaby RCMP is asking the public for dashcam video and eyewitness accounts as investigators look into a collision that killed a pedestrian earlier this week. The incident happened on Monday evening along a busy stretch of Kingsway near Edmonds Street, an area that connects Burnaby and southeast Metro Vancouver communities. Police say officers were called just after 7 p.m. on December 1 after a pedestrian was struck by an eastbound vehicle. The driver remained at the scene and is cooperating with investigators. The Burnaby RCMP Criminal Collision Investigation Team has taken over the case, whi
prince-george-rcmp-seek-dash-cam-footage-as-investigation-into-fatal-highway-16-crash-continues
BCDec 03, 2025

Prince George RCMP seek dash-cam footage as investigation into fatal Highway 16 crash continues

Prince George RCMP are appealing for dash-cam footage as officers continue to examine a fatal crash that shut down Highway 16 West near Isle Pierre Road late Tuesday night. The collision, reported shortly after 11 p.m., involved a grey Volkswagen Jetta and a grey GMC Sierra. Police say the driver of the Volkswagen was pronounced dead at the scene, while the driver of the pickup was taken to hospital with minor injuries. Investigators are now looking to piece together the moments leading up to the impact, which halted traffic on a major northern B.C. corridor for several hours. Corporal Jennife
nanaimo-rcmp-asks-for-witnesses-after-man-found-severely-injured-in-alley
BCDec 03, 2025

Nanaimo RCMP asks for witnesses after man found severely injured in alley

Nanaimo RCMP are appealing for information after a 62-year-old man was discovered unconscious in an alley on the city’s south side. First responders were called shortly after 9 p.m. on December 1 to the area between Sheperd Avenue and Georgia Avenue, near Fifth Street. Police say the man had suffered life-threatening injuries and was airlifted to hospital for emergency treatment. Investigators believe the assault may have taken place some time before the victim was located. Front line officers were joined at the scene by Police Dog Services, forensic specialists, Nanaimo Fire Rescue and para
crofton-pulp-mill-to-shut-down-permanently-as-pressures-grow-in-b-c-forest-sector
BCDec 03, 2025

Crofton pulp mill to shut down permanently as pressures grow in B.C. forest sector

A major employer on Vancouver Island is preparing to wind down permanently, with Domtar confirming that its pulp mill in Crofton will close and leave about 350 workers without jobs. The company says weak global pulp prices and rising challenges in securing affordable fibre in British Columbia made continued operations unsustainable. Domtar says it is reviewing potential future uses for the mill site, though no decisions have been made. The shutdown adds to a series of closures across the province’s forestry communities, a sector that has faced years of instability linked to supply shortages,
b-c-updates-safety-measures-after-alleged-breach-in-surrey-memorial-neonatal-unit
BCDec 02, 2025

B.C. updates safety measures after alleged breach in Surrey Memorial neonatal unit

B.C. Health Minister Josie Osborne says a recent security breach inside Surrey Memorial Hospital’s neonatal unit has raised serious concerns about patient safety across the Fraser Health region. She told the legislature the incident was “extremely distressing” for families and staff, and confirmed that Fraser Health has implemented additional safety procedures in response. Surrey RCMP allege that a woman entered the specialized care unit without authorization and made skin-to-skin contact with three newborns. Investigators say 35-year-old Lindsey Hirtreiter is now facing three counts of
police-identify-victim-in-surreys-sixth-homicide-of-2025
BCDec 02, 2025

Police identify victim in Surrey’s sixth homicide of 2025

Investigators with the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team have released the name of the man fatally shot in Surrey late Friday night, hoping the disclosure will generate new leads in the case. Police identified the victim as 26-year-old Jaskaran Birring of Chilliwack, noting he had previous police contacts and was believed to have ties to the drug trade. Officers were called to a residential area shortly before midnight, where they found Birring suffering from critical injuries. Despite emergency medical efforts at the scene, police say he did not survive. IHIT says early evidence indicate

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to