18.58°C Vancouver

News

b-c-crosses-60-000-covid-19-cases-since-the-start-of-pandemic-509-cases-and-9-deaths-reported-today
BCJan 16, 2021

B.C. crosses 60,000 COVID-19 cases since the start of pandemic; 509 cases and 9 deaths reported today

BC reported 509 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, bringing the province's total to 60,117. There have been nine new deaths from the virus since the province's last update. Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry say in a joint statement that there are 4,604 active cases of COVID-19. They say residents must continue to work together as short-term production delays affect the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. So far, 75,614 people have received COVID-19 vaccine shots in BC. 349 people are currently hospitalized, of those 68 are in intensive care.
search-and-rescue-crews-have-found-an-instagram-influencer-who-got-lost-yesterday-in-cypress-mountain-provincial-park
BCJan 16, 2021

Search and rescue crews have found an Instagram influencer dead near Cypress Mountain Provincial Park

Search and rescue crews say they have found an Instagram influencer who got lost yesterday in Cypress Mountain Provincial Park. According to fresh reports, the woman has died. North Shore Rescue says the 21 year old identified only as an influencer from Toronto named Nikki got lost on the Howe Sound Crest Trail yesterday. It says she had posted from the top of St. Mark's and was located late this morning in a steep drainage. Rescue crews said she would have to be flown out but there was no word on her condition. Message posted by North Shore Rescue on Facebook before Nikki was found: (NSR is
BCJan 15, 2021

Victoria councillor who travelled to East Africa last month has now apologized to council members

The Victoria councillor who admits to ignoring public health advice and travelling to East Africa last month has now apologized to his fellow council members. Sharmarke Dubow offered the apology yesterday during a council committee meeting. In his first in-person comments since returning from Somalia and Kenya, Dubow says he considered his trip was essential because his family in Africa depends on him for financial assistance, but he now realizes his choice was wrong. He told council that by travelling when so many others were not, he "let down" the community.Dubow says he recognizes the "inc
b-c-reports-first-case-of-south-african-covid-19-strain-four-now-from-the-u-k
BCJan 15, 2021

B.C. reports first case of South African COVID-19 strain, four now from the U.K.

British Columbia's provincial health officer expressed concern as she reported the first South African strain of COVID-19 uncovered in the province. Dr. Bonnie Henry says the person who contracted the South African variant had not travelled or had contact with anyone who did. She says officials are investigating where this person might have picked up the virus. Another person has also tested positive for the British variant of the virus, bringing that total to four cases, all connected to travel. Dr. Henry says there doesn't appear to have been any community spread of those infections. Offici
operators-of-the-sea-to-sky-gondola-say-the-tourist-attraction-is-due-to-reopen-in-late-spring-or-early-summer
BCJan 15, 2021

Operators of the Sea To Sky Gondola say the tourist attraction is due to reopen in late spring or early summer

Operators of the Sea To Sky Gondola near Squamish say the tourist attraction is due to reopen in late spring or early summer. The update posted on the company's website says the complicated cleanup process has been completed after vandals cut the gondola cable late last year. The statement says orders have been placed for a new cable and 25 new cabins and the cable is already on its way to Squamish while discussions are underway with the cabin supplier on a timeline for arrival of that equipment. No arrests have been made but the company says an RCMP investigation is continuing after the cabl
vancouver-coastal-health-says-schools-have-low-covid-19-transmission-rates
BCJan 15, 2021

Vancouver Coastal Health says schools have low COVID-19 transmission rates

A health authority says data showing schools in the Vancouver area are a low risk for the transmission of COVID-19 supports keeping classes open. Since schools reopened in September, Vancouver Coastal Health says it hasn't recorded a significant increase in COVID-19 cases among children aged five to 17. It says school-aged children accounted for six per cent of its COVID-19 cases since the start of the pandemic, despite representing 10 per cent of the population. Medical health officer Dr. Alex Choi says the authority wants educators, school staff, parents and students to feel reassured that
b-c-seeking-legal-advice-on-limiting-interprovincial-travel-premier-john-horgan
BCJan 14, 2021

B.C. seeking legal advice on limiting interprovincial travel: Premier John Horgan

British Columbia's premier says his government is seeking legal advice on whether it can limit non-essential travel from people out of province during the pandemic. Premier John Horgan says there is concern about people coming from other provinces or territories and spreading COVID-19. Horgan says he and other premiers across the country have made the case for Canadians to stay home during the pandemic, but people continue to travel. He says the issue has been discussed for months and it's time to determine if the government can or can't act. The issue will be discussed during the NDP governm
BCJan 14, 2021

Lawyer tells court, Klein believed he was stabbing a witch and a zombie with maggots

A lawyer for a man convicted of stabbing two high school students in Abbotsford says his client was not in control of himself at the time of the offence. Martin Peters is arguing in the BC Supreme Court that Gabriel Klein should not be held criminally responsible for the crimes. Peters said in his closing arguments that Klein believed he was stabbing a witch and a zombie with maggots coming out of its back, not two girls. Klein has testified that he was following the directions of voices in his head and believed that stabbing monsters was "just." Klein was convicted of second-degree murder an
24-years-after-reena-virks-murder-parole-board-continues-kelly-ellards-release
BCJan 14, 2021

24 years after Reena Virk's murder, parole board continues Kelly Ellard's release

The 38 year old woman convicted of murdering teenager Reena Virk near Victoria in 1997 will be allowed to continue her day parole. The Parole Board of Canada has released its ruling on Kelly Ellard, who now goes by the name of Kerry Sim. In a decision released Thursday, the board says Sim, now the mother of two young children, remains "positive and compliant" in the community and continues to have high reintegration potential. Her day parole was expanded last summer to allow her to live away from a residential facility for up to five days each week and the parole board is continuing that orde

Just In

cta-orders-westjet-to-remove-power-wheelchair-weight-limit
CanadaAug 20, 2026

CTA Orders WestJet to Remove Power Wheelchair Weight Limit

The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) has ordered WestJet, Canada’s second-largest airline, to eliminate the weight limit it imposes on power wheelchairs carried on its aircraft. The regulator ruled that WestJet’s weight restriction creates an unreasonable barrier for passengers living with disabilities and must be removed before July 2027. The case came to light following a complaint filed by Winnipeg resident and former federal cabinet minister Steven Fletcher, who was prevented from boarding a WestJet flight last year because of the weight of his customized electric wheelchair. WestJ
BCAug 20, 2026

15-Year-Old Charged After Allegedly Threatening to Burn Down Port Coquitlam Home

A 15-year-old youth has been criminally charged after allegedly making threats to burn down a home in Port Coquitlam. According to Coquitlam RCMP, the case relates to an incident that occurred on May 17 this year. Following an investigation by the General Investigation Section and a review of the evidence, the B.C. Prosecution Service approved the charges on August 4. The youth’s identity has not been released because of his age under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Police also clarified that he is not a resident of the Port Coquitlam area. The youth is facing three charges, including mischi
poilievre-invites-irans-exiled-crown-prince-reza-pahlavi-to-visit-canada
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Poilievre invites Iran’s exiled Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi to visit Canada

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has invited Iran’s former Crown Prince Reza Pahlavi to visit Canada and said he plans to meet with him virtually to discuss democracy and the safety of the Iranian diaspora. Speaking at a Persian Town Hall in British Columbia on Aug. 15, Poilievre said Canadians and foreign governments should not decide who leads Iran, but stressed that the country should ultimately be free and democratic and governed by the Iranian people. Pahlavi, 65, is the son of Iran’s former Shah, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, whose rule ended with the 1979 Islamic Revolution. He now liv
carney-urges-premiers-to-lift-ban-on-u-s-alcohol
CanadaAug 20, 2026

Carney Urges Premiers to Lift Ban on U.S. Alcohol

Prime Minister Mark Carney has urged Canada’s provincial premiers to remove restrictions on U.S. alcohol as Ottawa works to finalize an interim trade agreement with the United States. Trade negotiations between Canada and the U.S. are continuing after President Donald Trump delayed the implementation of a proposed 50 per cent tariff until Friday. Washington has repeatedly raised concerns over Canada’s restrictions on American alcohol products. Because provincial governments control the sale and distribution of alcohol in Canada, Carney held a virtual meeting with the premiers on Wednesday
canada-could-get-tariff-relief-on-steel-aluminum-and-automobiles
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada Could Get Tariff Relief on Steel, Aluminum and Automobiles

Canada could receive some tariff relief on steel, aluminum and automobiles under a new trade deal with the United States that is reportedly nearing completion. According to reports, Washington could reduce the current 50% tariff on some Canadian steel and aluminum exports to 25% as part of the agreement. However, the details have not yet been finalized, and the new rates are not expected to apply equally to all products. Different tariffs could be imposed on certain steel- and aluminum-derived products. Meanwhile, the top-line tariff on automobiles could reportedly be reduced from 25% to 15%.