16.44°C Vancouver

News

judge-rejects-dangerous-offenders-bid-to-change-indeterminate-sentence-tremblay-was-convicted-for-deaths-of-two-teenage-girls
BCJan 22, 2021

Judge rejects dangerous offender's bid to change indeterminate sentence; Tremblay was convicted for deaths of two teenage girls

A BC man convicted of two counts of criminal negligence causing death has lost an appeal of the indeterminate sentence he received after being declared a dangerous offender. Martin Tremblay was convicted for the March 2010 deaths of two teenagers who were plied with alcohol and drugs before being sexually assaulted in Tremblay's Richmond home. His trial heard he invited 16 year old Kayla Lalonde and 17 year old Martha Jackson to his home, gave them drugs and alcohol until they passed out, sexually assaulted them and then failed to get help when their conditions deteriorated.The BC Court of Ap
b-c-premier-health-officials-to-discuss-next-steps-in-covid-immunization-plan
BCJan 21, 2021

B.C. Premier, health officials to discuss next steps in COVID immunization plan

Health officials have called off the regular COVID-19 briefing in British Columbia as they prepare to update the province's strategy for immunization against the virus. An advisory from the premier's office says the briefing by provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix is cancelled. Instead they will join a news conference Friday with Premier John Horgan and Dr. Penny Ballem, who is leading B.C.'s COVID-19 immunization rollout. The four are expected to comment on the next steps in the immunization program that has been complicated by a hiccup in vaccine supply f
b-c-liberals-announce-organizing-committee-to-choose-new-leader-for-party-renewal
BCJan 21, 2021

B.C. Liberals announce organizing committee to choose new leader for party renewal

A former British Columbia finance minister and a current member of the legislature are part of a seven-member committee overseeing the upcoming Liberal leadership campaign to replace former leader Andrew Wilkinson. Colin Hansen, a former Liberal cabinet minister, has been appointed co-chair of the party's Leadership Election Organizing Committee, sharing the job with Victoria lawyer Roxanne Helme. Wilkinson resigned after the Liberals not only lost the election last fall, but seats that were once considered safe for the party. Prince George Liberal Shirley Bond is currently serving as interim
those-who-continue-to-break-covid-19-public-health-orders-may-face-more-than-a-fine-mike-farnworth
BCJan 21, 2021

Those who continue to break COVID-19 public health orders may face more than a fine: Mike Farnworth

BC's public safety minister says those who continue to break COVID-19 public health orders may face more than a fine. It comes as recent numbers show more than half of the total fines handed out were over the last month. Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says recent incidents, such as a Vancouver couple pretending to cough on people at a gym, are reprehensible and repugnant. But Farnworth adds that many people appear to be following the rules. 119 tickets have been issued in past 2 weeks. Since Aug. 21st last year, a total of 693 tickets have been issued. Among the tickets issued during p
police-watching-a-church-after-alleged-sunday-morning-services
BCJan 21, 2021

Police watching a church after alleged Sunday morning services

Mounties in 100 Mile House are watching a church that's alleged to have held Sunday morning services in violation of rules on public gatherings. RCMP say they were called to the 100 Mile House Baptist Church after receiving a complaint and watched people leaving the building with no visible face coverings. In a recording of the service posted online, the pastor thanks people for coming and asks them to open their Bibles to a specific passage. Police say they took down licence plate numbers and owner registration information and while no fines were handed out, they say potential action could b
98-125-covid-19-vaccine-administered-in-b-c-500-new-cases-and-14-deaths-reported
BCJan 21, 2021

98,125 COVID-19 vaccine administered in B.C.; 500 new cases and 14 deaths reported

British Columbia's provincial health officer and health minister say the province's COVID-19 case count is ``trending in the right direction.'' Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix say public restrictions will ease if the number of COVID-19 cases continue to drop. The province reported 500 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday. There have been a total of 62,412 cases since the pandemic began and there are 4,345 active cases. There have also been 14 new deaths, bringing to 1,104 the number of COVID-19 related fatalities since March. Dr. Henry and Dix say in a joint statement that 98,12
residents-of-old-fort-b-c-suing-province-others-over-slow-moving-slide
BCJan 21, 2021

Residents of Old Fort, B.C., suing province, others over slow-moving slide

Residents of a tiny community in northeastern British Columbia are suing the local and provincial governments over two slow-moving landslides they claim caused their property values to plummet. In a notice of civil claim filed in B.C. Supreme Court this week, 35 residents in Old Fort., B.C., allege negligence and breach of their charter right to security of the person. Evacuation orders and alerts were issued in September 2018 and June 2020 after a slope above the community of about 50 homes slumped, damaging the only road in and out. The claim alleges that the first slide was caused by activ
BCJan 20, 2021

Vancouver-based West Fraser Timber and Toronto-based Norbord join forces

Shareholders of Vancouver-based West Fraser Timber and Toronto-based Norbord have voted to join forces. The move unites two of Canada's largest producers of wood products, creating a single Vancouver-based firm which keeps the West Fraser name. It now boasts 10,000 employees. Officials behind the merger say the new company, which will be owned 56% by West Fraser shareholders and 44% by Norbord investors, aims to be a "one-stop shop" for construction customers. West Fraser has 45 mills and other facilities across BC, Alberta, and the southern US, while Norbord has an oriented strand board mill
28-more-covid-19-cases-have-been-linked-to-the-cluster-identified-last-month-at-kelowna-ski-resort
BCJan 20, 2021

28 more COVID-19 cases have been linked to the cluster identified last month at Kelowna ski resort

A medical health officer with Interior Health says COVID-19 is still spreading among people who live and work at a Kelowna ski resort. Dr. Silvina Mema says the health authority is testing broadly at Big White and 28 more cases have been linked to the cluster identified last month. The latest cases push the total to 203. It includes 43 active infections. Ski resort and local authorities are working to map possible exposures. Big White says in an update posted online Interior Health has advised that most people affected work on the mountain.

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to