22.36°C Vancouver

News

icbc-says-covid-19-rebate-cheques-delayed-after-cyberattack-on-third-party
BCMar 18, 2021

ICBC says COVID-19 rebate cheques delayed after cyberattack on third party

The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia says it's temporarily delaying the delivery of COVID-19 rebate cheques due to a cyberattack on a third-party vendor contracted to provide printing and distribution services. ICBC says in a statement the vendor held customer names and addresses, as well as the dollar amounts and numbers of the rebate cheques, but there's no indication that information was obtained in the cyberattack. It says the attack did not affect ICBC's own systems, which are secure. The corporation had planned to start issuing the one-time rebate cheques this week and says it p
b-c-reports-498-new-covid-19-cases-and-4-new-deaths
BCMar 18, 2021

B.C. reports 498 new COVID-19 cases and 4 new deaths

British Columbia is reporting 498 new cases of COVID-19 and four more deaths, pushing the death toll in the province to 1,411. Among more than 89,000 cases diagnosed to date, 4,851 are active, including 281 people who are in hospital. A statement from provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix says no data about new cases of COVID-19 variants of concern is available today due to a lab sequencing issue. BC had confirmed close to a thousand variant cases earlier this week. More than 444,000 doses of three approved COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in BC and
woman-dies-in-shooting-in-vancouvers-downtown-eastside
BCMar 17, 2021

Woman dies in shooting in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside

Police say a woman has been fatally shot in Vancouver. A statement from Sgt. Steve Addison says police responded to a call at about 4 a.m. on Wednesday. Addison says the woman was found in a social housing building in the Downtown Eastside and died later in hospital. Police believe her attacker fled. Addison says no arrests have been made and the woman has not been identified. The shooting is Vancouver's third homicide of the year. Vancouver Police Department on Twitter: #VPDNews: Vancouver Police are investigating the city’s third homicide of the year, which occurred Wednesday morning in a
BCMar 17, 2021

57 year old man facing criminal charges after driving into multiple police vehicles

RCMP in Nanaimo say a 57 year old man is facing criminal charges after driving into multiple police vehicles causing damage Monday. They say the first police vehicle was side-swiped while driving with its siren on for another call, and later the same man appeared to steer his pickup truck into two parked police cars before driving into the side of a building. After being blocked in, Mounties say the man got out of his truck and charged at an officer. The officer used a Taser and pepper spray. Constable Gary O'Brien says in a statement officers have had extensive interactions with the man who'
b-c-s-top-doctor-urges-people-to-follow-covid-19-rules-on-st-patricks-day
BCMar 17, 2021

B.C.'s top doctor urges people to follow COVID-19 rules on St. Patrick's Day

B.C.'s top doctor is reminding the public to follow COVID-19 rules during St. Patrick's Day celebrations, while the province has again extended its ongoing state of emergency in response to the pandemic. Dr. Bonnie Henry says in a statement that last call for alcohol sales at restaurants, pubs and liquor stores will be at 8 p.m. Wednesday. There are 4,999 active COVID-19 cases in B.C. with 556 new diagnoses, including 470 in the Fraser and Vancouver Coastal health regions. B.C. has confirmed 116 new cases of COVID-19 variants of concern in the last day for a total of 996, of which 130 remain
police-officer-and-driver-hurt-as-vehicle-rams-into-police-cruiser
BCMar 17, 2021

Police officer and driver hurt as vehicle rams into police cruiser

A police officer and a driver were both hurt last night when a vehicle slammed into a police cruiser blocking a lane of Highway 99 though Surrey. The lane had been closed as officers investigated an earlier shooting in the same area. RCMP say both the officer and the driver of the vehicle that hit the cruiser have non-life-threatening injuries. A charge of impaired driving has been laid and Mounties are appealing for information or dashcam video as they continue the investigation. Surrey RCMP on Twitter: A suspected impaired driver crashed into a roadblock last night on Highway 99. One of our
family-of-ben-tyner-announces-an-increase-in-the-size-of-the-reward-for-information-about-him
BCMar 16, 2021

Family of Ben Tyner announces an increase in the size of the reward for information about him

The family of missing Merritt-area ranch manager Ben Tyner has announced an increase in the size of the reward for information about him that could also lead to charges in his suspected death. In a post on Facebook, Jen Tyner says the reward has grown to 30-thousand dollars after the owner of a Merritt ranch added 15-thousand dollars to the total. The 33-year-old was last seen leaving the Nicola Ranch on horseback in January 2019 and his body has never been found. His riderless horse was found unharmed a few days later. Police say they believe Tyner is the victim of homicide. Jen Overstreet T
covid-19-restrictions-force-cancellation-of-vaisakhi-khalsa-parade-in-surrey-b-c
BCMar 16, 2021

COVID-19 restrictions force cancellation of Vaisakhi Khalsa parade in Surrey, B.C.

For the second year in a row, Surrey’s Vaisakhi Khalsa Day Parade – considered the world’s largest with more than 500,000 spectators annually – has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Organizers at Gurdwara Sahib Dasmesh Darbar confirmed the April 24 event will not proceed in order to comply with provincial health orders restricting mass gatherings. Vaisakhi, which marks the creation of the Khalsa in 1699, is the most significant day in the Sikh calendar. Parade spokesman Moninder Singh told Connect News Team that families will celebrate in smaller, private ways this year. “
surrey-rcmp-giu-investigating-a-suspicious-fire-in-whalley
BCMar 16, 2021

Surrey RCMP GIU investigating a suspicious fire in Whalley

The Surrey RCMP General Investigation Unit (GIU) is investigating a suspicious fire that occurred last night in Whalley. On March 15, 2021 at approximately 11:30 p.m., Surrey RCMP was called to assist the Surrey Fire Service with a vehicle fire, in the 10700-block of 133 Street. Upon arrival, officersfound a vehicle in the carport of a residence fully engulfed in flames. The vehicle sustained significant damage while the carport was moderately damaged, no one was injured as a result of the fire. The investigation was assumed by the Surrey RCMP GIU who located evidence suggesting the fire was s

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to