15.56°C Vancouver

News

b-c-reports-716-new-covid-19-cases-and-3-deaths
BCMar 25, 2021

B.C. reports 716 new COVID-19 cases and 3 deaths

BC is reporting 716 more cases of COVID-19 just as the province sets out new plans to have laid-off tourism and hospitality workers help with the immunization rollout. Today's additions bring BC's case count to 93 thousand 969 since the pandemic began. The province also reported three new deaths, for a toll of one thousand 441. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix say in a joint statement that there has been "much progress" in BC's vaccine program. However, they urged residents to continue working together to help combat the pandemic. They say people who r
city-of-vancouver-releases-its-2020-statement-of-financial-information
BCMar 24, 2021

City of Vancouver releases its 2020 Statement of Financial Information

New financial data shows operating revenues for the City of Vancouver dropped by 90 million dollars, in large part due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Mayor Kennedy Stewart says the city was able to save some money through more than 1,800 layoffs and the deferral of expensive capital projects as well as city council taking a 10 per cent pay cut. Stewart says the city is in much better shape than this time last year. A report on the city's budget says it expects the pandemic to continue to negatively affect non-tax revenues in to 2021. City of Vancouver on Twitter: Today the City released its 2020 S
deadliest-february-on-record-for-b-c-overdoses
BCMar 24, 2021

Deadliest February on record for B.C. overdoses

Figures released by the British Columbia Coroners Service identify 155 suspected illicit drug toxicity deaths in February, the 11th consecutive month in which the province has recorded more than 100 lives lost."The number of deaths due to toxic illicit drugs in February highlights the ongoing critical risk to public health and safety from the illicit drug market," said Lisa Lapointe, B.C.'s chief coroner. "I extend my sincere sympathy to everyone who has lost a beloved family member or friend to substance use. The continued tragic and unprecedented rate of death in B.C. highlights the urgent n
new-affordable-housing-projects-announced-for-southern-vancouver-island
BCMar 24, 2021

New affordable housing projects announced for southern Vancouver Island

More than 90 new, affordable homes are coming to southern Vancouver Island, after the B.C. and federal governments announced $13.1 million in funding for the initiative. The homes will be split between Saanich and Central Saanich, with construction expected to begin this spring and summer. The funding is part of the federal government's Rapid Housing Initiative delivered through the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation and aimed at creating 4,700 affordable housing units across the country. The B.C. government will support the projects with annual operating funding over 20 years, and non-p
surrey-and-burnaby-rcmp-gang-enforcement-teams-arrest-two-suspects-following-an-alleged-armed-robbery-in-newton
BCMar 24, 2021

Surrey and Burnaby RCMP Gang Enforcement Teams arrest two suspects following an alleged armed robbery in Newton

The Surrey and Burnaby RCMP Gang Enforcement Teams say they worked together to arrest two suspects following an alleged armed robbery in Newton. Mounties say just before 8 pm on Sunday, two men flagged down a passing vehicle under the pretence of needing help before stealing the victim's personal property and driving away in a nearby vehicle. Police say although the victim was physically unhurt, this was a distressing incident for them, and victim services have been engaged. The Surrey RCMP Gang Enforcement Team says it immediately broadcasted details about the incident to other Lower Mainlan
victoria-police-releases-age-enhanced-sketch-of-the-boy-who-went-missing-30-years-ago
BCMar 24, 2021

Victoria police releases age-enhanced sketch of the boy who went missing 30 years ago

Victoria police and members of Michael Dunahee's family have released an age-enhanced sketch of the boy who went missing 30 years ago. The four year old boy was in the Blanchard School playground on March 24th, 1991, not far from where his family and others were playing a touch football game. A search for Michael involved hundreds of volunteers and numerous police agencies, but no trace of the boy was found. Police say the sketch was prepared by an RCMP forensic artist and shows what Michael may look like today at age 34. Victoria Police on Twitter: Have you seen missing man Michael Dunahee?
b-c-premier-john-horgan-to-announce-partnerships-in-covid-immunization-plan
BCMar 24, 2021

B.C. Premier John Horgan to announce partnerships in COVID immunization plan

British Columbia Premier John Horgan and Dr. Penny Ballem, the lead on the provincial COVID-19 immunization team, are to reveal more information today on the vaccine rollout.A government release says they will be announcing new partnerships for the immunization plan.Health officials announced yesterday that another 200,000 people who have serious medical conditions would be able to book a shot sooner than expected, starting on Monday.Health Minister Adrian Dix says "tremendous progress" has been made in the age-based vaccine program, allowing the government to move those who are at increased
BCMar 24, 2021

B.C. accelerates vaccine timeline for extremely clinically vulnerable, seniors

The British Columbia government says it is accelerating the timeline for the COVID-19 vaccine once again, allowing people who are "extremely clinically vulnerable" and some seniors to book their shots earlier than expected.The Ministry of Health says in a news release that people at higher risk from COVID-19 due to existing medical conditions, including transplant recipients and those with cancer and severe respiratory conditions, will be able to register for their vaccine beginning next Monday.This group of people was originally scheduled to receive their shots in Phase 3 starting in April, b
b-c-pilot-study-to-allow-electric-kick-scooters-to-operate-legally-in-six-cities
BCMar 24, 2021

B.C. pilot study to allow electric kick scooters to operate legally in six cities

A newly approved pilot project will allow electric kick scooters to legally cruise the streets and bike paths of six British Columbia municipalities. The Ministry of Transportation says in a statement the pilot project gives the province and the selected local governments a chance to assess the safety of electronic personal transportation. The B.C. Motor Vehicle Act doesn't allow transportation such as electric scooters on roads or sidewalks, but a 2019 amendment permits communities to work with the province on pilot projects. The six participating municipalities where e-scooters will soon be

Just In

canada-us-trade-talks-collapse-as-ottawa-vows-dollar-for-dollar-tariff-response
CanadaAug 22, 2026

U.S. Tariffs on Canadian Imports Take Effect; PM Carney Warns of Dollar-for-Dollar Hit

U.S. tariffs on Canadian imports went into effect early Saturday morning after Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade negotiations just minutes before the midnight deadline. ​"I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa," Prime Minister Mark Carney said. "Last-minute changes in the U.S.-proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses." ​In a statement released Friday night, U.S.
18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
leaders-condemn-nanaksar-gurdwara-attack-call-for-action-against-anti-sikh-hate
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in