17.71°C Vancouver

News

victoria-police-department-gratified-by-the-response-to-a-call-for-information-about-sexualized-violence
BCFeb 05, 2021

Victoria Police Department gratified by the response to a call for information about sexualized violence

Detectives with the Victoria Police Department's special victims unit are gratified by the response to a call for information about sexualized violence alleged to have involved a former employee at a downtown Victoria restaurant. Police issued a public notice on Monday urging witnesses or victims to come forward if they have details about incidents at the bar and grill. Since then, police say the response has been "amazing" and they are working through the many tips, although they caution the process takes time and patience is necessary. Officers were flagged about alleged sexualized violence
nearly-10-000-people-have-received-a-covid-19-shot-in-yukon-but-dr-hanley-says-restrictions-could-remain-even-after-everyone-is-immunized
BCFeb 05, 2021

Nearly 10,000 people have received a COVID-19 shot in Yukon, but Dr. Hanley says restrictions could remain, even after everyone is immunized

Yukon's chief medical officer of health says vaccination is going well and nearly 10,000 people have received a COVID-19 shot. But Dr. Brendan Hanley says restrictions could remain, even after everyone is immunized. Dr. Hanley made the comment during the regular COVID briefing today in Whitehorse. He says Yukon's initial four-phase response plan predicted public health orders might be scaled back once most people were vaccinated, but he says a surge in COVID-19 variants, plus a growing number of cases in northern BC mean Yukon must stay vigilant. Hanley says even though Yukon currently has no
woman-dead-and-man-injured-after-shots-fired-in-surrey
BCFeb 04, 2021

Woman dead and man injured after shots fired in Surrey

A woman is dead and a man has been injured in a shooting in Surrey, B.C., in what police say was not a random act. Police were called Thursday morning to a home after reports of gunshots being heard. Officers found a woman in grave condition and a man suffering non-life-threatening injuries inside the home. Both were taken to hospital, but police say the woman died of her injuries. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has been called to help with the investigation. Surrey RCMP's tweet: One woman is dead and one male injured following a shooting inside a residence this morning in North S
vancouver-man-charged-with-second-degree-murder-for-the-citys-first-homicide-of-2021
BCFeb 04, 2021

Vancouver man charged with second-degree murder for the city's first homicide of 2021

Police say a 48 year old Vancouver man has been charged with second-degree murder for the city's first homicide of 2021. The killing happened in the Downtown Eastside on Sunday. The VPD says Kenneth Gates was arrested that morning after officers were called to a single-occupancy hotel for a double stabbing. Police say 40 year old Jeremy Greene died on scene and a second stabbing victim, a 28 year old, was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Gates remains in custody and he has also been charged with aggravated assault.
police-identify-victim-of-deadly-targeted-shooting-in-langley-b-c
BCFeb 04, 2021

Police identify victim of deadly targeted shooting in Langley, B.C.

Homicide investigators have identified the victim of a targeted shooting in Langley, B.C. Sgt. Frank Jang with the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 22-year-old Arshdeep Singh died in the late-night attack on Jan. 26. Jang says Singh's name and photo are being released in an effort to further the investigation, but he provided no other information. Singh was in the driver's seat of a car parked in a residential area of Langley when it was riddled by gunfire, killing him and injuring a man in the passenger seat.In the hours after the shooting, Jang confirmed Singh had been known to p
burnaby-hospital-reports-new-covid-19-flare-up-two-days-after-declaring-outbreak-over-414-new-covid-19-cases-and-16-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCFeb 04, 2021

Burnaby Hospital reports new COVID-19 flare-up two days after declaring outbreak over; 414 new COVID-19 cases and 16 deaths reported in B.C.

Just a few days after a COVID-19 outbreak was declared over at the hospital in Burnaby, B.C., another flare-up has been reported at the health centre. The Fraser Health authority says nine patients in the medicine unit at Burnaby Hospital have tested positive and it has been temporarily closed to admissions. The emergency department remains open at the hospital and enhanced cleaning and contact tracing has begun. B.C. reported 414 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, for a total of 68,780. There were also 16 more COVID-19-related deaths, 4,426 active cases and 278 in hospital. Provincial healt
BCFeb 03, 2021

Vancouver senior Usha Singh succumbs to injuries suffered in violent home, two people under arrest

Police say an elderly woman has died and two people are under arrest following a violent home invasion on Vancouver's west side. A statement from police says 78 year old Usha Singh died Tuesday. Investigators believe she was attacked early Sunday by two men who entered her home posing as police officers. The statement says a 47 year old man wanted on a Canada-wide warrant for unrelated offences was arrested in east Vancouver Tuesday, suffering a serious bite wound from a police service dog in the process. A 41 year old man was taken into custody a few hours later near the city's Downtown East
sites-being-cleared-to-make-way-for-the-2-83-billion-dollar-broadway-subway-project-in-vancouver
BCFeb 03, 2021

Sites being cleared to make way for the 2.83 billion dollar Broadway subway project in Vancouver

Sites are now being cleared to make way for the 2.83 billion dollar Broadway subway project, which aims to help people get around one of the busiest parts of Vancouver when it's completed in 2025. Federal Infrastructure Minister Catherine McKenna says her government is making historic investments in infrastructure projects and the subway will introduce a new transportation option while reducing traffic congestion and air pollution. The government says in a joint release with BC and local officials that some building demolition is necessary to construct six new station entrances. It is also im
victoria-police-officers-investigating-after-suspicious-incident-reported-near-a-school
BCFeb 03, 2021

Victoria police officers investigating after suspicious incident reported near a school

Victoria police officers are investigating after a suspicious incident near a school yesterday afternoon. Police say shortly after 12 pm, they were called to the area of SJ Willis School for a report of a man holding what appeared to be a firearm in Topaz Park. Officers contained the area surrounding SJ Willis School and nearby Quadra Elementary School and both schools were placed in lockdown. Police say they searched the area for over an hour and did not find a man similar in description to the suspect. Officers are continuing to investigate the incident but do not believe there is a risk to

Just In

pbo-says-canadian-governments-to-spend-1-billion-to-host-world-cup
CanadaMay 20, 2026

PBO says Canadian governments to spend $1 billion to host World Cup

The federal budget watchdog says Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer. That includes money from all levels of government, with the federal government contributing $473 million. The total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver. The parliamentary budget officer says that’s about in line with what previous host countries spent. In April, the federal government said it was allocating up to $145 million for security at the World Cup in addition to previously announced funding, with the money going toward r
IndiaMay 20, 2026

Heatwave to Persist Across Most Parts of Punjab and Haryana Until May 25, 2026

The intense heatwave conditions in Punjab continue to worsen with scorching temperatures and hot winds forcing people to remain indoors. Roads are appearing deserted during afternoon hours, with curfew-like conditions being witnessed in several areas. Amid the rising temperatures, the Meteorological Department in Chandigarh has issued a special weather bulletin warning of severe heatwave conditions across Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh for the next seven days. According to the weather department, heatwave conditions are expected to prevail across most parts of Punjab and Haryana from May 19 t
carignan-nominated-for-a-senior-advisory-role-in-nato
CanadaMay 20, 2026

Carignan nominated for a senior advisory role in NATO

The Liberal government in Ottawa is nominating the head of Canada's military, Gen. Jennie Carignan, as a candidate for a top role in NATO. Defence Minister David McGuinty announced her candidacy for chair of the NATO Military Committee — the main military adviser for NATO's Secretary General, Mark Rutte. An election is set for September to find a successor for the outgoing chair, Italy's Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone, whose term ends next summer. As for Rutte, his four-year term ends in 2028, but could be renewed for another term. Carignan has served as chief of the defence staff since summe
AlbertaMay 19, 2026

Edmonton councillor proposes “Forever Canadian Avenue” outside Alberta legislature

An Edmonton city councillor says he plans to seek a symbolic street renaming outside the Alberta legislature following the success of a pro-Canada petition campaign. Coun. Michael Janz said he will submit an application to rename the portion of 99 Avenue directly in front of the legislature grounds to “Forever Canadian Avenue.” The proposed name references the “Forever Canadian” petition, which gathered enough signatures in December to advance under Alberta’s citizen initiative process. According to the petition organizers, the proposed referendum question asks Albertans: “Do you a
canada-advises-against-travel-to-eastern-congo-amid-ebola-outbreak
CanadaMay 19, 2026

Canada advises against travel to eastern Congo amid Ebola outbreak

The federal government is advising Canadians to avoid travel to eastern regions of the Democratic Republic of Congo following an Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo virus, a rare strain with no approved vaccines or treatments. According to the World Health Organization, more than 500 suspected cases have been reported, including at least 130 deaths. WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday he is concerned about the “scale and spread of the epidemic.” Global Affairs Canada updated its travel advisory to warn against all travel to Ituri province, where the outbreak wa