18.37°C Vancouver

News

four-people-were-killed-and-a-fifth-person-is-missing-after-a-crane-collapsed-in-kelowna
BCJul 13, 2021

Four people were killed and a fifth person is missing after a crane collapsed in Kelowna

The Mounties say four people were killed and a fifth person is missing after a crane collapsed in Kelowna, B.C. Insp. Adam MacIntosh says four people on the ground, all construction workers, were killed when the crane toppled off the 25-storey building on Monday. He says the crane operator hasn't been found but police believe his body is buried in the rubble.The upper portion of the crane smashed into a neighbouring building, leaving most of its support tower attached. The head of the development company building the residential tower said Monday he didn't know what caused the crane to fall. J
government-awaiting-the-direction-of-penelakut-tribe-and-other-bc-first-nations-before-acting-on-the-recent-discoveries-of-unmarked-graves-premier-horgan
BCJul 13, 2021

Government awaiting the direction of Penelakut Tribe and other BC First Nations before acting on the recent discoveries of unmarked graves: Premier Horgan

Premier John Horgan has responded to what he says is the ``tragedy of the revelations'' related to the discovery of more unmarked, undocumented graves at a residential school, this one on Penelakut Island, off the southeast coast of Vancouver Island. Horgan says his government is awaiting the direction of the Penelakut Tribe and other BC First Nations before acting on the recent discoveries. He says it would be premature to do anything else while Indigenous people are grieving and coping with generational trauma. Speaking at a news conference this morning, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says h
private-retailers-approved-to-supply-special-event-liquor-in-b-c
BCJul 13, 2021

Private retailers approved to supply special event liquor in B.C.

Private liquor retailers are now allowed to sell their products to holders of special event permits to serve liquor at events such as community festivals, family gatherings and private functions.The change follows a recommendation from the Business Technical Advisory Panel. Previously, only government liquor stores could sell liquor products to permit holders. The private retailers who may now do so include:* B.C. wineries, breweries and distilleries with on-site stores;* licensee retail stores (private liquor stores);* wine stores (excluding sacramental wine stores) and special wine stores; a
evacuation-added-as-wildfire-flares-near-kamloops-b-c-but-order-lifted-in-okanagan
BCJul 13, 2021

Evacuation added as wildfire flares near Kamloops, B.C., but order lifted in Okanagan

A new evacuation order has been issued as the largest wildfire in British Columbia continues to challenge efforts to bring it under control. The BC Wildfire Service says the blaze north of Kamloops now covers 402 square kilometres and flames on one of its flanks surged toward control lines Monday. An evacuation order for nine more properties near Savona has been issued, adding to the 170 already ordered out by the Thompson-Nicola Regional District and the Skeetchestn Indian Band. In the south Okanagan, the wildfire sparked Sunday east of Skaha Lake now covers nine square kilometres but firefi
more-than-160-unmarked-graves-found-at-site-of-a-former-residential-school-on-vancouver-island
BCJul 13, 2021

More than 160 unmarked graves found at site of a former residential school on Vancouver Island

A BC First Nation says in a newsletter that more than 160 unmarked and undocumented graves have been found at the site of a former residential school on a small island off the east coast of Vancouver Island. The Penelakut Tribe has not officially commented but its newsletter says the graves have been found on Penelakut Island, at the former Kuper Island Industrial School. A University of BC Ph-D student in anthropology said in May that he had been working with the Penelakut Tribe, using ground penetrating radar to search for remains of children who died at the school during the nearly 100 yea
BCJul 13, 2021

Man missing since March of 2020 was a victim of homicide: Police

Police in Nanaimo say a man who'd been missing since March of 2020 was the victim of homicide. They say 32 year old Sidney Mantee's family in Saskatchewan contacted police last October, saying it was out of character for him not to contact them so long. Constable Gary O'Brien says in May, RCMP officers searched Diver Lake and a park in Nanaimo, as well as an apartment where Mantee had lived. Another search of the waters off the city was done this past weekend. He could not say if anyone has been arrested or how the Indigenous man died.
vpd-investigates-violent-assault-on-west-side
BCJul 13, 2021

VPD investigates violent assault on west side

Vancouver Police are gathering evidence after a violent confrontation sent two people to hospital with life-threatening injuries Monday night. "Several people called 9-1-1 around 7:30 p.m. yesterday to report that one man was attacking another outside and an apartment building near Spruce Street and West 12th Avenue," says Sergeant Steve Addison, VPD. "One suspect had a sword and had reportedly crawled through the window of a ground-level apartment." VPD officers responded immediately, and arrived moments later. That’s when the 29-year-old suspect tried to run away from police. He jumped in
fraser-health-and-translink-roll-into-white-rock-with-the-mobile-vaccine-bus
BCJul 13, 2021

Fraser Health and TransLink roll into White Rock with the Mobile Vaccine Bus

A Mobile Vaccine Bus will be stationed in White Rock this Wednesday as Fraser Health, TransLink, and the City of White Rock partner to make COVID-19 vaccines more accessible. The specially equipped transit bus – air-conditioned and set up as a walk-in clinic – will operate from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on July 14 in the east parking lot of the 15400-block Marine Drive. Fraser Health says all residents aged 12 and older are welcome, including those without a personal health number or who are new to B.C. Health officials say the initiative is part of efforts to close the gap in first-dose coverage
BCJul 13, 2021

Council approves bylaws to fast-track the new Surrey Hospital

At last night’s Regular Council Meeting, Council approved an Official Community Plan Amendment Bylaw and corresponding Rezoning By-law, to fast-track the development of the new Surrey Hospital and integrated cancer centre. The plan amendment redesignates the land from industrial to mixed employment, and with the corresponding rezoning, will allow for both the hospital, and its supportive services."Council is committed to accelerating the development of the new Surrey hospital, and at last night’s Council meeting we delivered on that promise," said Mayor Doug McCallum. "Surrey is rapidly g

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to