15.97°C Vancouver

News

one-presumed-dead-one-injured-in-collapse-at-b-c-construction-site-rcmp
BCAug 25, 2021

One presumed dead, one injured in collapse at B.C. construction site: RCMP

The RCMP say one person is believed to be dead and another is in hospital after part of a building collapsed in North Vancouver on Wednesday. Sgt. Peter DeVries says fire and rescue personnel determined that one person sustained "catastrophic" injuries, but it was still too dangerous to remove debris within the construction site in order to recover the body. The coroners service has yet to officially confirm the death, he says, while BC Emergency Health Services says the second person is in stable condition. DeVries says police don't believe anyone else was trapped. He says it looked like a "d
police-watchdog-clears-vancouver-officers-in-fatal-shooting-in-downtown-eastside
BCAug 25, 2021

Police watchdog clears Vancouver officers in fatal shooting in Downtown Eastside

BC's police watchdog has cleared Vancouver officers involve in a fatal shooting in the city's Downtown Eastside earlier this year. A report from the Independent Investigations Office says the officers' use of force in the January 5th shooting was, quote, ``justified, necessary and proportionate'' because ``they had no choice.'' It says the officers feared the man, who was not named by the oversight agency, would either stab them or bystanders with a sword he was carrying. The watchdog's report says the officers were not carrying a stun gun and fired a total of five shots from their firearms f
vpd-investigates-attack-on-homeless-man
BCAug 25, 2021

VPD investigates attack on homeless man

Vancouver Police released video today showing a violent and unprovoked attack on a homeless man, and ask anyone who can identify the suspect to call police. "We’d like everyone to take a good look at these images," says Sergeant Steve Addison, VPD. "We’re confident someone knows these people and can help us solve this crime."The bystander video was taken around 1 a.m. on July 26, on Hamilton Street in Yaletown. It shows a man in his 20s arguing for several minutes with a group of people, who he appears to know. When a homeless man walked by the group, the suspect swatted him in the head, c
11-351-properties-on-evacuation-alert-in-b-c
BCAug 25, 2021

11,351 properties on evacuation alert in B.C.

The wildfire situation is continually evolving, and the information below is current as of 7 p.m. (Pacific time) on Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2021.Fires:Wildfires currently burning in B.C.: 249Since April 1, 2021:1,551 wildfires861,283 hectares of area burnedActive fires by fire centre:Cariboo: 26Coastal: 18Kamloops: 86Northwest: 5Prince George: 52Southeast: 62Resources:Firefighters and other personnel currently fighting the fires: 3,374Out-of-province firefighters: 464Helicopters and planes supporting ground crews: 161Evacuations:Evacuation orders: 48 (-6)Evacuation alerts: 96 (-15)Properties:Number
BCAug 25, 2021

Evacuation orders and alerts drop in B.C. as number of wildfires holds steady

Emergency Management BC says about 3,700 properties are on evacuation order, down from nearly 8,200 a week ago.A news release says nearly 11,300 properties are on evacuation alert — which means people must be ready to leave on short notice — also down from more than 23,000 last week.The Regional District of Central Okanagan says the evacuation order for more than 1,300 properties and alert for about 850 of them remains unchanged as the White Rock Lake Creek wildfire continues to burn.The White Rock Lake Creek wildfire is still classified as out-of-control and is estimated to be 810 square
641-new-covid-19-cases-reported-in-b-c
BCAug 25, 2021

641 new COVID-19 cases reported in B.C.

B.C. is reporting 641 new cases of COVID-19, including one epi-linked case, for a total of 161,271 cases in the province.There are currently 5,357 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 153,967 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 138 individuals are currently in hospital and 78 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation. In the past 24 hours, no new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 1,801.There have been no new health-care facility outbreaks. The outbreak at KinVillage West Court (Fraser Health) has b
police-arrest-suspect-after-alleged-marpole-stranger-assaults
BCAug 24, 2021

Police arrest suspect after alleged Marpole stranger assaults

Vancouver Police arrested a 36-year-old man Monday after two apparently random assaults in Marpole. "VPD has been alarmed by the significant increase in seemingly-unprovoked assaults throughout the city in recent weeks, and we’re pleased to have made an immediate arrest in this case," says Sergeant Steve Addison. "We’re continuing to investigate any possible connections to other unsolved crimes."The two victims, a 65-year-old man and a 37-year-old man, were allegedly assaulted near Ontario Street and South East Marine Drive around 3 p.m. Monday afternoon. Police believe the suspect approac
BCAug 24, 2021

New supportive housing building in Surrey for people who are at-risk of or experiencing homelessness

A new supportive housing building in Surrey is providing homes for people who are at-risk of or experiencing homelessness. The housing ministry says the Baird Blackstone Building has 61 permanent studio units, each with a private washroom and kitchenette. It says the housing complex is part of a commitment between the province and the City of Surrey to deliver 250 permanent homes in the community. Residents will start moving into the building on September 7th.
man-arrested-after-attacking-72-year-old-woman-in-victoria
BCAug 24, 2021

Man arrested after attacking 72 year old woman in Victoria

Victoria police say they've arrested a 42 year old man accused of beating a 72 year old woman on a downtown street. Police say the attack happened Friday after the woman declined the man's repeated requests to give him money. They say the suspect pushed her to the ground and struck her several times before a bystander came to her aid. She was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, while the man faces recommended charges of assault. Victoria police on Twitter: Patrol officers arrested a man on Friday after he attacked a 72-year-old woman in downtown #yyj. The victim was transpor

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to